XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2012 Nav "Map POI off"

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2012 Nav "Map POI off"

On my Nav system, the "Map POI Off" button on the screen is disabled (and no POI's show on the map, except for the detailed right-hand window that indicates a coming turn). The other buttons on the Nav menu are white or blue, depending on whether they're selected. The Map POI button is black; will briefly react the first time it is selected, but returns to black.

On selecting split-screen, I can get a message "POI's shown on right screen" (or something like that), but the POI's are not there, regardless of scale.

I have never found POI icons on the screen useful (especially since I discovered the "list POI's along route" capability), so I'm not worried about the missing function, just curious about whether I have a fault, or Jaguar decided to disable this function.

By the way, the single biggest improvement in the 12 over the 09, is the ability to use Nav while in motion. The second-biggest is the improved functionality of the Nav, so that I don't have to take my Garmin on trips anymore.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I assume you are referring to the POI button on the 2nd page of the menu. Mine is blue even though it says POIs off. Pressing it before entering a destination doesn't have any effect. However, the POI selections during Nav usage all function as expected and stay on the screen. Sounds like your system may have a problem.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the response. Sounds like something is turned off somehow, either malfunction or pilot error. On my NAV menus p1-2, the other buttons are white, the voice button turns blue when it is turned on, and the POI buttin is black (the button doesn't show, only the words). I also found that if I activate split screen (another function I don't use), there is an option to show POI icons on right screen, but the on/off buttons do not work. The only place I've seen POI icons is on the detailed right screen that shows an upcoming turn.

Fortunately, this is only a curiosity issue; if all goes well I will ask about it whenever I go for an oil change (still have only about 1800 miles).

Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dick
On my Nav system, the "Map POI Off" button on the screen is disabled (and no POI's show on the map, except for the detailed right-hand window that indicates a coming turn). The other buttons on the Nav menu are white or blue, depending on whether they're selected. The Map POI button is black; will briefly react the first time it is selected, but returns to black.

On selecting split-screen, I can get a message "POI's shown on right screen" (or something like that), but the POI's are not there, regardless of scale.

I have never found POI icons on the screen useful (especially since I discovered the "list POI's along route" capability), so I'm not worried about the missing function, just curious about whether I have a fault, or Jaguar decided to disable this function.

By the way, the single biggest improvement in the 12 over the 09, is the ability to use Nav while in motion. The second-biggest is the improved functionality of the Nav, so that I don't have to take my Garmin on trips anymore.
I have the exact same issue - on the 2nd Menu Screen the POI is off. It has always been like that, and always annoyed me.

No idea how to fix it, but it's good to know that mine isn't necessarily "broken" now I know somebody else has the same situation!

Old 08-29-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by musicscramble
I have the exact same issue - on the 2nd Menu Screen the POI is off. It has always been like that, and always annoyed me.

No idea how to fix it, but it's good to know that mine isn't necessarily "broken" now I know somebody else has the same situation!
Thanks - nice to know I'm not alone. I'm not even going to ask to have it "fixed", since I don't use the function.

I had to write out the routine for finding POI's along route, since I use it so seldom. In case you're interested:

- touch screen anywhere on the map (called "browse mode");
- pick "points of interest" top of screen;
- pick category(ies), then pick "local points of interest" bottom of screen;
- pick "on route" bottom right of screen.

The following users liked this post:
10 XF Premium (10-08-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks - nice to know I'm not alone. I'm not even going to ask to have it "fixed", since I don't use the function.
So I have the answer for this one now....thanks to my Dealer.

Touch the Screen anywhere, then hit Points of Interest. Choose up to five POIs you wish to display and choose OK.

From then on these will be displayed on your map. If you go to the NAV menu you will see that the (previously greyed out) POI Option on Page 2 is now Blue. Clicking it will turn it off again. Easy solution when you know how!

Last edited by musicscramble; 09-09-2012 at 05:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
waldo69 (06-04-2013)
Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 PM

Touch the Screen anywhere, then hit Points of Interest. Choose up to five POIs you wish to display and choose OK.

From then on these will be displayed on your map. If you go to the NAV menu you will see that the (previously greyed out) POI Option on Page 2 is now Blue. Clicking it will turn it off again. Easy solution when you know how!
Thanks for explaining the button. But I get no POI icons - I get the message "selected POI's are diplayed on map", but there are none there.

I can list the local POI's, whatever categories, and see that they are all around me; this morning I tried it in a parking lot surrounded by motels. I also get the message "POI's cannot be displayed over 1/2 mile" when I zoom out. Using the blue button is handy for eliminating that message on zoom, and clearing local POI categories.

Now that you've made me curious, I guess I will ask the dealer about it sometime. I suspect there is a simple setting or preference I haven't found.

Dick

Old 09-26-2012, 07:56 PM

Update - took the car in today, dealer says Jaguar is aware of the problem affecting some models, and vendor is working on a fix. Dealer checked two other cars on lot, newer and older VINs, both worked ok, neither had B&W sound (which mine has). Fortunately not a very critical problem to wait for a solution.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that there is a workaround. You have to select "Nearest POI locations in settings and add it to you home screen. Once you go back to home menu, you will see it listed under the left column. Click on it and you are good to go.

I will go through it again in the car and write the instructions on the forum, so you guys can utilize the feature.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Here are the steps. From the Home menu....

1. Setup - System - Home menu shortcuts. Tap "Nav POI near current position" and it will light up blue (automatically adds to home menu screen)

Back to home menu and you can start enjoying the feature.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Executive
Here are the steps. From the Home menu....

1. Setup - System - Home menu shortcuts. Tap "Nav POI near current position" and it will light up blue (automatically adds to home menu screen)

Back to home menu and you can start enjoying the feature.
Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I didn't fully understand your recommendation, or maybe I didn't clearly state my "problem".

My symptom is that all POI functions work, including local lists and lists of POI's along route, EXCEPT the icons don't show on the map.

I already had "Nav POI near current position" as a home menu shortcut. Using the shortcut, I end up with the POI selection screen, lists, etc., but still no icons on the map. I don't get an "OK" choice when I've selected categories (like I do when I pick POI's from "browse" mode, which is supposed to return to the map with icons), only a choice to list the POI's, (which I can also do in "browse" mode).

Again, thanks for the interest, and sorry if I misunderstood.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Me too Dick!

I am having the same problem Dick described. I'll fiddle aound with it some more, but it looks as though there is a fault with the system.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by TRankin
I am having the same problem Dick described. I'll fiddle aound with it some more, but it looks as though there is a fault with the system.
Thanks for the input. The dealer and I have both seen how it should work (2 other cars) and one that doesn't (mine), and Jaguar tech line has told them that Jaguar is aware of the problem (implied that they are working on the fix). The difference here is that mine has B&W sound, the other two don't, which could explain why the software is different. If yours also has B&W, that would support that suspicion. Anyway, you could add your complaint to Jaguar and maybe increase the priority of the fix.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Happy Now!

I again went through the steps described here late, last night, and successfully turned my icons on. I am thinking that I did the right things earlier, but turned them off when I went to the NAV menu POI Option on Page 2 and, in error, turned it off again.

Thanks to musicscramble for the directions and sorry to have jumped the gun on thinking there was a fault.

It is sort of quirky, in the area, compared to other systems I have used.

This is a great forum!

Old 09-30-2012, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I didn't fully understand your recommendation, or maybe I didn't clearly state my "problem".

My symptom is that all POI functions work, including local lists and lists of POI's along route, EXCEPT the icons don't show on the map.

I already had "Nav POI near current position" as a home menu shortcut. Using the shortcut, I end up with the POI selection screen, lists, etc., but still no icons on the map. I don't get an "OK" choice when I've selected categories (like I do when I pick POI's from "browse" mode, which is supposed to return to the map with icons), only a choice to list the POI's, (which I can also do in "browse" mode).

Again, thanks for the interest, and sorry if I misunderstood.
I gotcha. I didn't understand you first.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Executive
I gotcha. I didn't understand you first.
Appreciate your try - I will be interested to see how long it takes Jaguar to get a fix. Fortunately not a serious problem.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:27 PM

update:

Service Advisor was at a Jaguar school last week. He asked about the POI problem and said the programmers hadn't yet figured out why the problem occurrs on some cars and not others. It appears he is keeping in touch with them, at least.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 PM

Jaguar has issued an update to the Nav system for cars affected with this problem. I had mine fixed this week (advisor says the download took several hours) and POI's now appear on the screen when they're supposed to.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This solution from musicscrambler worked perfectly on my 2012 xf when I couldn't get the icons to appear on the nav. map