XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2012 xf infotainment system improved?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 xf infotainment system improved?

I am considering a 2012 xfr as my next car. IN reading the reviews, the only weakness seems to be the infotainment system. I consider this to be a pretty important component in my decision making process, as I place a pretty strong weight on the technology a car has to offer.
I was wondering if there were any improvements made for the 2012 model year.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't speak for the 2012, would love to see responses on this as well, but to be honest the system in the earlier models is fine. I was also choosing between a 5 series and everything else about the XF just made me forget about the little lag on the infotainment system. I'm a techie and happen to be in IT addressing slow computers all day so I thought the system would drive me nuts, but honestly unless you're constantly flipping around screens you get used to it quickly and the important commands (next song, volume, voice control, etc.) respond quickly via the hard buttons on steering wheel or console, it's just the display itself that seems to lag.

Aside from that, though it's not the highest tech system out there it's plenty functional and has all the necessary features like iPod, USB, and Aux input along with the standard sat & HD radio. Nav so far works well and the directions displaying in the gauge cluster is a godsend, especially because of the sluggish main display, so I really haven't had any major problems with it.

Being the centerpiece of tech I wish they had made the system as snappy as the rest of the car, but I hope that doesn't deter you from choosing the XF. I found it more than adequate after settling in and the rest of the car was definitely worth the price tag. Step on the gas and the last thing you'll be looking at is the infotainment screen .

Old 12-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

If you buy a car based on how good the infotainment system is vs. the vehicle dynamics, a better choice would be most any Ford. Ford's Sync is really good. While a good infotainment system is not mutually exclusive with good vehicle dynamics, I would place priority on what makes it a good vehicle, then on how well it entertains. Anyway, to me the Jag's system is not that slow in responding. And apart from that, the stereo sounds good and the nav works well.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:13 AM

+1 @ n4s. You're hard pressed to find better than Sync in any car, and most people have their gripes with iDrive as well. The sound from the premium B&W setup is pretty damn good too.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Need4Spd
If you buy a car based on how good the infotainment system is vs. the vehicle dynamics, a better choice would be most any Ford. Ford's Sync is really good. While a good infotainment system is not mutually exclusive with good vehicle dynamics, I would place priority on what makes it a good vehicle, then on how well it entertains. Anyway, to me the Jag's system is not that slow in responding. And apart from that, the stereo sounds good and the nav works well.
Agreed, however, when I can get it all in a BMW or an Audi, why would I limit myself?
My only point is that of all the criteria in the decision making process (performance, styling, handling, quality of materials, technolgy, etc) the technology is on my list, and therre is no excuse in 2011 for a car at $86,000 to cheap out on that system, when as you said, a Ford fiesta can beat it. a little embarassing I would say.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:37 AM

I know what you mean, tech was certainly on my list as well but even though I weighed heavily on it the rest of the car really did make a better decision overall. People that complain tend to complain loudly, I'm just here to say it really isn't that bad of a system as to be "embarassing". I had initially looked at an S4, M3/M5 or 550i. They definitely had better head units, but all features combined the delay on the screen didn't outweigh the rest of the system and the car. Try it out for yourself I'd say, hard not to fall in love with the Jag once you drive it.

Last edited by shikk; 12-21-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: didn't want to misrepresent the delay
Old 12-21-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by shikk
I know what you mean, tech was certainly on my list as well but even though I weighed heavily on it the rest of the car really did make a better decision overall. People that complain tend to complain loudly, I'm just here to say it really isn't that bad of a system as to be "embarassing". I had initially looked at an S4, M3/M5 or 550i. They definitely had better head units, but all features combined the delay on the screen didn't outweigh the rest of the system and the car. Try it out for yourself I'd say, hard not to fall in love with the Jag once you drive it.
I'm heading out this afternoon to take a peak. I'll let you know.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:35 PM

I didn't get to drive it because we got freezing rain this afternoon in Montreal. It is a beautiful car to look at, inside and out.
My concerns about the infotainment were founded. I got to play with it a bit, and it is painfully slow. But really nice car. Some serious thinking to do.
I wasn't thrilled with the price they were offering me.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Unlike the other responders, I do think the pre-2012 infotainment system borders on embarrasing at the XFs price point. You get used to the lag but the graphics look ancient and the nav is merely adequate. I usually use my phone instead. That said, I believe the graphics were updated for 2012 and they switched to a hard-drive based system from discs so it's bound to be better. And the sound system is good.

The XF is an excellent car and undercuts its direct competition on pricing. When you compare the categories you mentioned - (performance, styling, handling, quality of materials, technolgy, etc), it'll probably lose on tech but win some others.