XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2012 XF Portfolio

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 08:39 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Zuniga
I got these coming in
got them reaaallly cheap with coupons and free this and that and percentage discounts from carid...

any experience with these? what about proper break in? where i live there's not alot of open road to get up to 45 and down the way they want to do it and if there is you do have to do alot of breaking to get to that kind of open road..
v
I used those on the rear of my car, am pretty impressed. especially with the low price

Used Akebono on pads on the front, car stops nicely

Originally Posted by Six Rotors
Today I removed all the plastic undertrays so I can rustproof the metal underneath-----brake pipes and battery feed on the passenger side and fuel pipes on the drivers side.
My car does not have the undertrays, been looking for them used, seems a bunch are missing or torn up (350 new no way) Any thoughts about what they do and how necessary?

Last edited by Jssaab; 11-11-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:58 AM
Received 264 Likes on 197 Posts

Regarding the undertrays, I really have no Jaguar specific information. From my RX7 Turbo II and Twin Turbo days, I know that the engine under tray made a significant difference to engine cooling, both coolant and under hood temperatures were measurably increased when the cover is missing. Other covers further down the car provide protection against smaller road hazards and also reduced corrosion in harsh climate. Lastly there has to aerodynamic implications but I never investigated the effect of their absence-----my Twin Turbo was good for 165mph.

My Vanden Plas has all the undertrays. I did buy a 2005 VDP last year which had damaged undertrays and severe corrosion of the brake pipes at the back. I sold it on.
So many cars have similar covers and I find it hard to believe they serve no useful purpose.

Old 11-11-2020, 02:35 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Yeah I figured they protect the underside and may help fuel economy aerodynamically

Maybe corrosion as well I am deciding wheter t shell out 275 if my search for a sued on come up empty

Annoying thing is I wonder if when i had high flow cats put on they left it off ( the shop sucked)

Old 03-10-2021, 09:50 PM
Default Ready For the Road

Well time to update. Today I had the car safetied so I can get plates and sticker. Also did a 4 wheel alignment check resulting in front toe adjustments on both sides. I will get the insurance lined up tomorrow and on the road next week. Yes I borrowed the plates off my 2004 Vanden Plas!

Last edited by Six Rotors; 03-10-2021 at 09:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bealzabubba (03-12-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 07:43 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome! Your very lucky to have a 2012 Jag v8 in today’s day as it’s so rare to find on the used market, well rare to find one that’s good enough and trustworthy to buy.

$60 for an oil change! I’m paying $400 at the *******s!! They did repair couple of my things for free like the coolant pipes and tank, as well as they did injector cleaning for me but they r definitly making $$$ off of me. Recently I got misfire codes and turns out a couple of my fuel injectors got clogged with gunk. Seems like it might be worth it running fuel system cleaner once a while maybe at 100K KM as I’m at 160K. The dealership said they used their tool to pressurize cleaner straight through the injectors and then added the additive to my tank. Car was driving bad after that too but was getting rich codes, that’s when we reset the engine adaptations which improved the drive. After finishing the tank of gas with additive now it’s running better. I was using petro ultra 94 before but switched to shell v power 91 now as it has no ethanol but honestly don’t know if it will help.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,332 Likes on 1,834 Posts

If they replaced the coolant pipes and coolant tank you got a good deal. Depending on which coolant pipes were replaced?

Old 03-11-2021, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
If they replaced the coolant pipes and coolant tank you got a good deal. Depending on which coolant pipes were replaced?.
I am not sure which coolant lines if any have been changed ,or if the water pump has been changed. It has had the radiator changed following an accident. The coolant is like new and the level has not changed since I brought the car home. The timing chain, observable from the oil filler cap, looks new and is nicely taught. The engine is noisier than my 4.2L Vanden Plas which I de-winterised today---started first pull as usual! It's the fuel pump(s) and injectors making the noise.
My major thing now is to get new rubber----three of my tires are original (Nov 2011) .I am thinking Conti Extremecontact DWS 06 Plus

Last edited by Six Rotors; 03-11-2021 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:48 PM

Well my 2012 XF Portfolio is now legally on the road. I still need to get tires but everything else is checked OK. I installed my monitoring system for engine coolant temperature and oil temperature. I think I should be able to diagnose cooling issues as they happen.

Another member put me on to this device--Autool X60 for $32 Can including taxes and delivery. Plugs into the OBD port and shuts off automatically. As you can see oil and water temps on same screen along with alternator output/battery voltage.

Yuriy V (02-13-2022)
Old 04-11-2021, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Very useful and should have been stock!
I just don't want a stick on gauge on my steering column but am tempted because it so vital.

Old 04-11-2021, 12:43 PM

Is it a bit overkill the position you place it at because now u cannot see the digital speedometer and the fuel remaining.

I didn’t hear about people having oil temperature or coolant temperature issues but I have heard of coolant leak issues which gets indicated with ‘Low Coolant’ warning then you must try to pull over immediately to check before blowing up the engine lol.

I wish it was a small screen but for the price u can’t go wrong.

Old 04-11-2021, 12:58 PM

Yes, I understand your reluctance. My thinking was --it is inexpensive, easy to install ,no dangling wire( easily threaded inside steering column covers) and can easily be removed including the gel adhesive. Anyway I will try for a while and see how I like it.

Last edited by Six Rotors; 04-11-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:20 PM

Got my Conti Extreme Contact DWS-06 Plus tires installed today. For the first time in my experience they were less expensive than the Tire Rack price by about $9 US per tire. They are light, 24lbs each and on the tire balancer had the lowest and most consistent road force variation the installer has seen. I took a short ride after and am very happy with the noise and ride. Tires were made in Portugal.

Last edited by Six Rotors; 04-16-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:44 PM

I used to have the continental pro contact that came stock with my 2012 jag xf and I found them better than my current Pereli cinturato p7.

This is in terms of road noise, comfort (softness), smoothness, and even looks.

The ones you have must be even better. I like Continental tires.

Old 08-18-2021, 11:42 AM
Default Exciting Weekend!!

My 2012 XF Portfolio is not a daily driver. So far I have done about 3000kms since April, with a total of 47,500kms, and all has been well until last Friday when the first check engine warning appeared. Checked the code ---P0106 MAP Sensor-- checked the live data and sensor output at least appeared to be moving in the right directions. I decided to clean the throttle body and butterfly plate and the MAP. I did the throttle body in place after removing the air intake tubes. The MAP sensor I removed to clean. All appears OK so far.
Monday I was out visiting our former neighbors and on the return trip I got the " TPMS system fault" warning without any low tire pressure notification. Checked all the tire sensors with sensor checker--all were showing good batteries,38psi pressure and 87F temperature. I was unable to see any DTCs on my JLR SDD system. I decided to check all the "Initiators" or antennae and found the front drivers side antenna had jumped out of its vertical holder and was lying flat on the front plastic shield. After repositioning and securing it with tie wraps my TPMS is working normally.

Last edited by Six Rotors; 08-18-2021 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling
The following 2 users liked this post by Six Rotors:
hen555 (08-19-2021), Yuriy V (02-13-2022)
Old 08-19-2021, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Just something I found out on my 2014 XJR when I recently replaced all 4 tires. TPMS have a lifespan of around 5-10 years before they die and need replacement. This is because the batteries are NOT replaceable and eventually fail.
TPMS Replacement

I did not know this and thought the batteries could be replaced. Now they can IF you have an external type of TPMS but all factory systems are internal with the sealed battery set up. So with the age of your car if you have not replaced all of the TPMS stuff it's getting close to the time when they will fail. Just something to consider as you can get the TPMS stuff cheap from China (I got all 4 for around $40 including shipping off EBay) Jaguar wants about $130 EACH!!! Heck even Discount Tire who recommended me changing them wanted over $100 a piece too!

Make sure you get the correct ones as there are 2 different frequencies used around the world. In the US it is mainly 433MHZ but Jaguar sells cars all over the world and uses both 433 and 315 frequencies. The sensors are marked with the frequency so at worst case just dismount a tire and have a look.

Old 08-19-2021, 02:08 PM

Yes I was aware of that. Also the mileage covered by the vehicle is an equally significant factor. Because of the low mileage on the car and the fact that I have free and easy access to a sensor checking tool I decided to stick with the existing sensors. The sensor checker also identifies sensor frequency, battery condition and programs the sensors. On my 2012XF the sensors are 315MHz. I have been looking for a replacement source but am concerned about whether or not some cheap sensors will work properly. If you could PM me the source you used on e-bay I would appreciate it.--

I drove up to Ottawa today and completed the 400kms journey in 3hr 30mins---this car is so easy to drive---maybe I need an XFR!!

Last edited by Six Rotors; 08-19-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Here are the ones I used on my 2014 XJR. Made in china got them on EBay.
$40 plus tax for 4 and they worked perfect.
TPMS

Six Rotors (08-20-2021)
Old 02-13-2022, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Six Rotors
My 2012 XF Portfolio is not a daily driver. So far I have done about 3000kms since April, with a total of 47,500kms, and all has been well until last Friday when the first check engine warning appeared. Checked the code ---P0106 MAP Sensor-- checked the live data and sensor output at least appeared to be moving in the right directions. I decided to clean the throttle body and butterfly plate and the MAP. I did the throttle body in place after removing the air intake tubes. The MAP sensor I removed to clean. All appears OK so far.
Monday I was out visiting our former neighbors and on the return trip I got the " TPMS system fault" warning without any low tire pressure notification. Checked all the tire sensors with sensor checker--all were showing good batteries,38psi pressure and 87F temperature. I was unable to see any DTCs on my JLR SDD system. I decided to check all the "Initiators" or antennae and found the front drivers side antenna had jumped out of its vertical holder and was lying flat on the front plastic shield. After repositioning and securing it with tie wraps my TPMS is working normally.
hi , iam new member, resently became an owner of 2012 portfolio, it’s my first night reading different post, I see you have a lot done , and had a great knowledge about the car , question should there be 2 Tpms antennas? I only had 1 , and common problem with Tire Pressure System Fault !
do you know how those antennas working and should they be installed in some spec place?

Old 02-14-2022, 12:36 PM

There are four TPMS antennae (or initiators) one for each wheel. The fronts are located on the lower plastic shields in front of the wheels, and the rears are behind the wheels underneath the mud covers. I am unaware of any test for their functionality---maybe someone else can chip in.

Yuriy V (02-14-2022)
Old 03-16-2024, 12:55 PM

Just fitted a new set of brakes to my 2012 XF. Decided to go with a set of Power Stop K6283 brakes with Z23Evolution pads. I followed their procedure for bedding in and I think they are going to be very good. The brakes are much easier to modulate at lower speeds. I have not had a chance to do any higher speed stops yet.

Front after bedding in and 60 miles

Rear

Quick Reply: 2012 XF Portfolio