Hello everyone!
I am currently in the market for a 2012 Jaguar XF

I love the car! It looks GREAT!
However, I have a few questions!

How is the reliability?
EX: Any major problems?

Also,

What is the annual maintenance like?
On average would you say I will be spending 1, 2, 3, 4K?

Thank you so much for all of your help in advance! It is very appreciated!

Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Welcome aboard!!!

Shouldn't have to spend anything for the next 3-4 years as they come with warranty 4 years or 50,000 miles. Tires is the only thing i can think of. If you can find CPO, which means extended warranty up to 6 years and 100,000 miles.

In terms of reliability, Jaguar was at the top of J.D Powers Reliability list in 2012, above all the other car brands. It gained 2 place, think Lexus was first.

The only minor issue is the creaking from the doors/sunroof, but the test drive would provide with information on that. If the problem exists, dealer will replace any seals.

The following 2 users liked this post by Executive:
awhite6455 (09-30-2013), edobernig (10-02-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I shouldn't have any major repairs for 3-4 from today?

That's great news!

Thank you so much!

Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Ditto everything EX said...I did a lot of research and waited for a CPO 2012 NA also as they are the best of the best in this XF MY IMO..I couldn't afford a SC version or I would have got one of those instead..but the NA 5.0L V8 is the bomb, it is the last of a dying breed and I don't think I will get another Jag unless they bring back the V8 in the future..but I'm hearing that ain't happening more than likely...I don't want the V6 or 4 cylinder ever in my JAG...but that's just me...So I'm going to enjoy this 2012 MY until the warranty runs out in 5 more years....

But to answer your question..the 2012 from what I've read and heard is the most reliable of all the years with less time in the service per miles driven..If you get one that has a manufactured date of June 2012 or later, they are without the water pump problem as well.

The following 3 users liked this post by DPK:
awhite6455 (09-30-2013), edobernig (10-02-2013), rbobzilla (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I readily admit that I am biased, but I will say that my 12 XF NA 5.0 is my favorite of many cars that I've had over the years, and that includes some vehicles that are significantly above it in weight class so to speak. It seems to be a very much ideal balance of performance and practicality (if a Jag can be viewed as practical, lol). The 12s in the US do have free maintenance throughout the factory warranty, but you should plan on a brake job or two along the way. In terms of reliability, these are complex machines and you'll be able to find mention of all kinds of failures, just as with any other comparable vehicle. Nothing that makes it a red flag vehicle in my opinion, but I sure wouldn't buy an XF because of reliability. I'd buy it because of the vehicle and know that I don't have a known trouble prone vehicle. By MY '12, it seems that quite a few of the kinks were worked out...

The following 2 users liked this post by rbobzilla:
awhite6455 (10-01-2013), DPK (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What they said...2012 XF is a great car. No problems, just oil changes and the occasional tire rotation. Jaguar will bug the daylights out of you for "service" that is needed, but if you look at what they actually do for $300 to $400 you will see that most of it is inspecting and topping off fluids.

I change the oil at the dealer, some would disagree, but I do this so that if there are software updates or other problems I do not have to go all over creation. Plus you get to know the staff.

The following users liked this post:
awhite6455 (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by rbobzilla
I readily admit that I am biased, but I will say that my 12 XF NA 5.0 is my favorite of many cars that I've had over the years, and that includes some vehicles that are significantly above it in weight class so to speak. It seems to be a very much ideal balance of performance and practicality (if a Jag can be viewed as practical, lol). The 12s in the US do have free maintenance throughout the factory warranty, but you should plan on a brake job or two along the way. In terms of reliability, these are complex machines and you'll be able to find mention of all kinds of failures, just as with any other comparable vehicle. Nothing that makes it a red flag vehicle in my opinion, but I sure wouldn't buy an XF because of reliability. I'd buy it because of the vehicle and know that I don't have a known trouble prone vehicle. By MY '12, it seems that quite a few of the kinks were worked out...

When you say "you'll be able to find mention of all kinds of failures," what do you mean?
I've owned a few high end cars in my life, and I haven't had many problems. **Except for the 2003 S500..what a mess**

Old 10-01-2013, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by awhite6455
When you say "you'll be able to find mention of all kinds of failures," what do you mean?
I've owned a few high end cars in my life, and I haven't had many problems. **Except for the 2003 S500..what a mess**
I certainly didn't mean it in a "this model is trouble-prone" way. It's just that if you look on any forum for any manufacturer and brand, you will find comments and complaints about failures and problems. The XF is no different. The XF is no Camry or Accord in terms of reliability and it's also (thankfully) no Camry or Accord in terms of performance either. I suspect most of us have no problems of any major consequence, especially on the 2012s, but it's simply a game of numbers - big enough sample size, you'll see just about every type of failure imaginable.

The following 2 users liked this post by rbobzilla:
awhite6455 (10-01-2013), DPK (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 10:14 PM

Thank you! That clarified everything up for me! Well everyone... I think I am soon going to be in the market for a 2012 XF!

Old 10-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

The XF is no Camry or Accord in terms of reliabilityand it's also (thankfully) no Camry or Accord in terms of performance either..
I wouldn't exactly say Camry is the standard for reliability. I don't know how many millions of things got recalled for sticking gas pedal.

On another hand, you are right. Everything from Smart car to $500,000 Rolls Royce will have it's own set of problems.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

The fiscal report just was published as to how well JLR has been doing. It's nice to finally see them on their way to prominent future..Jaguar Land Rover closes on sales record | Autocar

DPK (10-02-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Executive
I wouldn't exactly say Camry is the standard for reliability. I don't know how many millions of things got recalled for sticking gas pedal.

On another hand, you are right. Everything from Smart car to $500,000 Rolls Royce will have it's own set of problems.
You know, while we are on this topic of reliability, I have found that people (and the media who cover automobiles) who own the supposed "reliable" brands (i.e., Honda) can sometimes almost be apologetic if their vehicle has a problem, while those from historically trouble prone brands (wonder which ones those might be lol) will be vocal that any problem is evidence of systemmic rot within the builder. That is until there is blood in the water and the media is all too quick to try to bury a brand (Audi and Toyota).

I also think that some outlets just don't get it and simply can't or won't appreciate what a Jaguar is all about - case in point about the XJL being identified by Consumer Reports as basically being one of the dumbest automobile purchases you can make. Realistically, an XJL is no dumber than the comparable 7 Series or S-Class.

DPK (10-02-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,292 Likes on 890 Posts

I had an 08 XF for 4 1/2 years. No mechanical issues but some sunroof and roof lining issues. Pretty much all resolved within the first 18 months. I then bought the 2012 model 5 litre. No issues at all. There was a thump sensation on braking when I first got it, it ended up being fuel sloshing in the tank which involves the insertion of a foam baffle (I think) which goes in through the filler opening. Anyway, it was a few minute fix and it never happened again. It is a beautiful car, I'm only getting rid of it because I can now live with the XKR because my daughter is driving (eek!), and the XKR was always my dream.

awhite6455 (10-19-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 08:30 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

I think I seen on TV news that Toyota just recalled another million cars or so (slight exaggeration)...Didn't see which ones exactly..But to further the reliability issue..I never in the last 10 years have I seen any major recalls of a Jaguar model or models

Old 10-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know, while we are on this topic of reliability, I have found that people (and the media who cover automobiles) who own the supposed "reliable" brands (i.e., Honda) can sometimes almost be apologetic if their vehicle has a problem, while those from historically trouble prone brands (wonder which ones those might be lol) will be vocal that any problem is evidence of systemmic rot within the builder. That is until there is blood in the water and the media is all too quick to try to bury a brand (Audi and Toyota).

I also think that some outlets just don't get it and simply can't or won't appreciate what a Jaguar is all about - case in point about the XJL being identified by Consumer Reports as basically being one of the dumbest automobile purchases you can make. Realistically, an XJL is no dumber than the comparable 7 Series or S-Class.
Well put.

My XF has been very well behaved, my XJ8 shockingly good. Meanwhile my Lexus GS350 was not only the worst car I have ever owned but also the worst ownership experience. I would switch to a 1998 Kia before I'd own another Lexus.

As far as buying ANY large luxury car, of course it's a dumb move from a purely financial standpoint, driving any premium luxury car (S Class, 7 series, S Class, A8) is going to cost you at least $1,000 a month in depreciation.

I can't think of any other asset that I have ever bought that has cost me anywhere near that.