XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2012 XF(V8) Randomly Stalling Out

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my 12 XF about three years ago. All was fine until 2 months ago and the same thing happened. I had it towed to a local shop and it started back up and they said they couldn’t recreate the problem. 2 days later it happed again. Then I had it towed to a Jaguar dealership. They said it was a fuel pump and it had to be replaced. 4 days and over $2000 later I picked up my car. As I was driving it home it did it again. (Smh).... then they said it was another sensor that needed to be ordered and changed out and they were only going to charge me the cost of the part. (Thanks).. ROUND 4, It has been about a month now and no issues, until today and it happened again. I love this car and don’t have any interest in another (except for an Audi R8, but it’s a bit out of my price range right now). I looked and found that there was a recall for XFs made in Aug 12 that had stalling engines. When I told them that this was the exact problem with my car they said that the VIN didn’t come back as a recall. Guess I’m going to have to get in an accident and sue Jaguar to get this resolved.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Clinton76
I purchased my 12 XF about three years ago. All was fine until 2 months ago and the same thing happened. I had it towed to a local shop and it started back up and they said they couldn’t recreate the problem. 2 days later it happed again. Then I had it towed to a Jaguar dealership. They said it was a fuel pump and it had to be replaced. 4 days and over $2000 later I picked up my car. As I was driving it home it did it again. (Smh).... then they said it was another sensor that needed to be ordered and changed out and they were only going to charge me the cost of the part. (Thanks).. ROUND 4, It has been about a month now and no issues, until today and it happened again. I love this car and don’t have any interest in another (except for an Audi R8, but it’s a bit out of my price range right now). I looked and found that there was a recall for XFs made in Aug 12 that had stalling engines. When I told them that this was the exact problem with my car they said that the VIN didn’t come back as a recall. Guess I’m going to have to get in an accident and sue Jaguar to get this resolved.
Get a code reader on it. Seriously.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar issue. It turned out that the fuel pump wiring was overheating and shorting out.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 689 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidXF
I had a similar issue. It turned out that the fuel pump wiring was overheating and shorting out.
+1 That's what ultimately fixed mine.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

An interesting post on an XF bad fuel pump electrical connection causing engine stumbling. Some interesting comments made about a "fix it" campaign in the comments on this video might be worth a look at too.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 04-07-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 355 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
An interesting post on an XF bad fuel pump electrical connection causing engine stumbling. Some interesting comments made about a "fix it" campaign in the comments on this video might be worth a look at too.
That filter housing with the electrical connection is a maintenance item, like the plastic pipes in the cooling system. It is a filter, which needs to be changed anyway, and the plastic is known to develop cracks and spray gasoline in a nice fine, explosive mist when it does crack.

I changed that part on both my XF's. It's half the price online for the part versus the dealer, and it's a pretty easy job, so do it proactively if your car is more than 6 years old.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 04-08-2019 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bigg Will (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
That filter housing with the electrical connection is a maintenance item, like the plastic pipes in the cooling system. It is a filter, which needs to be changed anyway, and the plastic is known to develop cracks and spray gasoline in a nice fine, explosive mist when it does crack.

I changed that part on both my XF's. It's half the price online for the part versus the dealer, and it's a pretty easy job, so do it proactively if your car is more than 6 years old.
Did you have to use the 310-123 tool to remove/install your retainer ring?

Old 04-08-2019, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 355 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Did you have to use the 310-123 tool to remove/install your retainer ring?
A thick screwdriver or thick punch and a rubber mallett do the job just fine.

Bigg Will (04-08-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 01:37 PM
Default Random stall

Originally Posted by Mike H.
I am baffled about my XF stalling problem and I need some expert advice. I will try to give as much detail as possible.

In January 2015 I bought my 2012 Jaguar XF. Several months later in June/July, I was pulling out of a restaurant parking lot, within 10 seconds after driving off the car cuts off, but started right back up as if there was never an issue. A few weeks later it does the same thing again, but this time it does not start back up. I end up having it towed to the nearest dealership. They told me it was a failed fuel pump. I have the fuel pump replaced and car is running like new again. A month later I'm in a different city and it does the same thing again, but eventually starts back up. I take it to the dealership there. They told me they could find nothing wrong with my car and that it was operating just fine. Then just recently, barely over a week ago, I was coming back from out of town and the car stalls out on me again on the interstate. After several rinse & repeats I managed to get to a Quality Inn hotel. Tried again early the next morning and it operated as if there was never an error. However since then, it has consistently cut off once a day for the past several days. The dealership that installed the new fuel pump for me told me to bring it in so they could look at it, but also stated that if its not showing a problem while they have it they would be unable to isolate the issue. Servicemen also mentioned they could try to recreate the conditions that problem occurred in, but with it being so random I don't believe there is an established pattern.

Warning Lights:
-No warning lights are displayed before it happens, but afterwards the check engine light is illuminated.

Conditions:
-I purchased the vehicle in January and did not have any problems during the cold weather.
-It has occurred at both day & night.
-There has never been a set time of when it would happen. On one hand it has happened within less than a minute after starting it up and driving off, then on another it has happened 4 hours later after being on the road when driving during normal daylight hours.
-The amount of fuel in the tank has varied. It has happened with as much as just shy of a full tank and as low as just above ¼.

Other things I’ve noticed:
-Sometimes(completely random) while the car is parked(whether just starting it up or after just driving) its idle is slight irregular. The RPM hand displays a slight flicker while feeling an unusual sway/vibration from the car.
-When driving the car, right before it happens the car will give a quick indication by a significant drop in RPMs & MPH. At that point you have anywhere from 3-5 seconds to maneuver the car into a safe location.
-Sometimes when trying to hear or better understand the problem, I would rev up the engine while parked and when doing so I noticed that each time when the RPM hand would get to 4 RPMs I would feel a jolt in the rear part of the car, but it would only do it when it got to 4 RPMs.
-However, I’ve also noticed that after letting the car sit for several hours it tends to operate without error. But again, this all at random of when this would take place. The only thing that is seemingly to appear consistent is the frequency of when it happens which seems to be growing by the day.

Also, I do not know if this would make a difference or not, but a month after I had the car my wife accidentally put Regular gas in it and of course the system notification stayed lit, but I did not want to mix the two so I ran all of that out before I filled back up with Premium.

Please Help.

-Mike H.
I have a 2011 jaguar xf that did the exact same thing. Would start and run fine everytime I got it towed to the dealer. Total of 4 times to a dealer & once to a foreign repair shop. Eventually after eliminating everything else including replacing fuel pump. The problem was a metal connector clip to my fuel pump that was bad. They explained that when a certain amount of voltage goes through it that it slightly opens which was slightly interrupting the connection to the fuel pump. Mine would stall out leaving me stranded really random. Maybe weeks or sometimes months apart. Been a few years since the repair it hasn't happened since.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cojag
I have a 2011 jaguar xf that did the exact same thing. Would start and run fine everytime I got it towed to the dealer. Total of 4 times to a dealer & once to a foreign repair shop. Eventually after eliminating everything else including replacing fuel pump. The problem was a metal connector clip to my fuel pump that was bad. They explained that when a certain amount of voltage goes through it that it slightly opens which was slightly interrupting the connection to the fuel pump. Mine would stall out leaving me stranded really random. Maybe weeks or sometimes months apart. Been a few years since the repair it hasn't happened since.
Do you have pics of the exact part that was causing this on your vehicle? I'm going for my 3rd fuel pump and have changed the fuel pressure sensor . I also bought the fuel filter that's next to the fuel pump. I'm at that point where idk where to even look anymore .

Old 08-25-2021, 05:10 PM
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike H.
I am baffled about my XF stalling problem and I need some expert advice. I will try to give as much detail as possible.

In January 2015 I bought my 2012 Jaguar XF. Several months later in June/July, I was pulling out of a restaurant parking lot, within 10 seconds after driving off the car cuts off, but started right back up as if there was never an issue. A few weeks later it does the same thing again, but this time it does not start back up. I end up having it towed to the nearest dealership. They told me it was a failed fuel pump. I have the fuel pump replaced and car is running like new again. A month later I'm in a different city and it does the same thing again, but eventually starts back up. I take it to the dealership there. They told me they could find nothing wrong with my car and that it was operating just fine. Then just recently, barely over a week ago, I was coming back from out of town and the car stalls out on me again on the interstate. After several rinse & repeats I managed to get to a Quality Inn hotel. Tried again early the next morning and it operated as if there was never an error. However since then, it has consistently cut off once a day for the past several days. The dealership that installed the new fuel pump for me told me to bring it in so they could look at it, but also stated that if its not showing a problem while they have it they would be unable to isolate the issue. Servicemen also mentioned they could try to recreate the conditions that problem occurred in, but with it being so random I don't believe there is an established pattern.

Warning Lights:
-No warning lights are displayed before it happens, but afterwards the check engine light is illuminated.

Conditions:
-I purchased the vehicle in January and did not have any problems during the cold weather.
-There has never been a set time of when it would happen. On one hand it has happened within less than a minute after starting it up and driving off, then on another it has happened 4 hours later after being on the road when driving during normal daylight hours.
-The amount of fuel in the tank has varied. It has happened with as much as just shy of a full tank and as low as just above ¼.

-Sometimes(completely random) while the car is parked(whether just starting it up or after just driving) its idle is slight irregular. The RPM hand displays a slight flicker while feeling an unusual sway/vibration from the car.
-When driving the car, right before it happens the car will give a quick indication by a significant drop in RPMs & MPH. At that point you have anywhere from 3-5 seconds to maneuver the car into a safe location.
-Sometimes when trying to hear or better understand the problem, I would rev up the engine while parked and when doing so I noticed that each time when the RPM hand would get to 4 RPMs I would feel a jolt in the rear part of the car, but it would only do it when it got to 4 RPMs.
-However, I’ve also noticed that after letting the car sit for several hours it tends to operate without error. But again, this all at random of when this would take place. The only thing that is seemingly to appear consistent is the frequency of when it happens which seems to be growing by the day.

Also, I do not know if this would make a difference or not, but a month after I had the car my wife accidentally put Regular gas in it and of course the system notification stayed lit, but I did not want to mix the two so I ran all of that out before I filled back up with Premium.

Please Help.

-Mike H.
​​​​​​ Mike did you ever found a solution to this.

I had the same issue today after 3 years of ownership, mine started back up no problem like if nothing ever happened. I drove the car back home for over 100 km, no issues, starts fine, no error codes.

​​​​​​I did change the fuel to higher octane, i still had a bit left of the other fuel in the tank, the did mix.

Last edited by Carlos Saez; 08-25-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:14 PM
GMD
Default Might have a solution

My 2012 Jag XF 3L premium luxury has been having similar issues, starting around 2 months ago. Then nothing until yesterday. We have been through a similar list of thoughts as to what it could be starting with fuel pump.
Over time it seems to be increasing with how often it does it with it being twice yesterday and 4 times today. But today my husband had the car and took his code reader out with him. When the car faulted again he plugged it in and discovered that it is the crank sensor faulting.
Hopefully this fixes the issue for us and provides answers for others!

Old 05-18-2022, 02:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks, for me it was the fuel pump fuse.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueeyes3079
thanks, for me it was the fuel pump fuse.

Which fuse is that? And which engine and year do you have?

Old 05-18-2022, 03:13 PM

connection on the fuel pump. the V8 has three of them one low pressure two high pressure. I believe its the one in the back seat.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueeyes3079
connection on the fuel pump. the V8 has three of them one low pressure two high pressure. I believe its the one in the back seat.

Aaaah so not a fuse? Just the connection to the fuel pump?

Old 05-18-2022, 03:33 PM

yes

DanteDiVolo (05-18-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 11:21 AM
Default Jaguar XFR randomly stalling

"In January 2015 I bought my 2012 Jaguar XF. Several months later in June/July, I was pulling out of a restaurant parking lot, within 10 seconds after driving off the car cuts off, but started right back up as if there was never an issue. A few weeks later it does the same thing again, but this time it does not start back up. I end up having it towed to the nearest dealership. They told me it was a failed fuel pump. I have the fuel pump replaced and car is running like new again. A month later I'm in a different city and it does the same thing again, but eventually starts back up. I take it to the dealership there. They told me they could find nothing wrong with my car and that it was operating just fine. Then just recently, barely over a week ago, I was coming back from out of town and the car stalls out on me again on the interstate. After several rinse & repeats I managed to get to a Quality Inn hotel. Tried again early the next morning and it operated as if there was never an error. However since then, it has consistently cut off once a day for the past several days. The dealership that installed the new fuel pump for me told me to bring it in so they could look at it, but also stated that if its not showing a problem while they have it they would be unable to isolate the issue. Servicemen also mentioned they could try to recreate the conditions that problem occurred in, but with it being so random I don't believe there is an established pattern.

Warning Lights:

Conditions:

-However, I’ve also noticed that after letting the car sit for several hours it tends to operate without error. But again, this all at random of when this would take place. The only thing that is seemingly to appear consistent is the frequency of when it happens which seems to be growing by the day."

So I'm having the exact same problem as Mike. H which I copy pasted above^. I am new to the forums, but I know how helpful they are. So far for my 2012 jag XFR I have experienced the random power cuts when I was on the highway maybe a couple minutes apart so I pulled over and had it towed. I was reading the forums and saw that the fuel pump was a common issue with the car and the terminal(s) burning out, so I replaced the fuel pump. I also checked the terminals for the plugs and they didn't show any signs of burning. Regardless of new fuel pump I had the same issue even with just starting the car and letting it idle, it will eventually stall and the engine light will illuminate. So with further reading I figured it might be an issue with the mass flow sensor in the intake because I put a new intake on the car with cone filters. I put everything back to stock with new air filters. Car started fine, but now I had a "RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE" warning light (yellow not red) and was hesitant to drive the car. I learned that it could be caused by low voltage from the battery which would make sense considering the car has been sitting for 3 weeks or so now. I charged the battery and the warning light turned off and has not come back on. Currently as of yesterday I started the car with no issues and took it for a test drive and was relieved that I saw no warning lights and the power cut/ stalling problem was eliminated, at least I thought. I took it to the store and when I came out and was driving home the power cuts happened again, but this time the car would fully stall. I'd stop and pull over and start the car up again as if there was nothing wrong and then not even 30 seconds later it would happen again and again.
I've read I ton of helpful post, but I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. I get no error codes, no lights on the dash. The fuel pump (on the right hand side) has been replaced and the terminals on the plugs are fine. Would it be the fuel pressure sensor? The fuel harness, if so where is it located/ what's it look like? Could it be the injectors?

Please help and thank you in advance.
Connor (2012 jaguar XFR)

Old 05-19-2022, 11:32 AM

I used to have a 2012 XF portfolio and it did similar. come to find out it was the fuel harness

Old 05-19-2022, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the response. Any idea where you got your replacement fuel harness from or if you have a picture of what it looks like?

Quick Reply: 2012 XF(V8) Randomly Stalling Out