XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2012 XFR as a daily driver, Canada

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 XFR as a daily driver, Canada

Hello all,

New to the forums, new to Jaguar. I did a search and didn't really see anything that would anser my question. I am shopping for a new car and had pretty much decided on a 2012 BMW 550i X. Someone on the bimmerfest forum pointed out the XFR as a decent alternatice. In looking at picture, videos, and reading up on the specs, the car seems awesome in most ways. I was just wondering if anyone had any feedback on winter driving, as well as a daily driver? Obviously, being from Montreal, dedicated winter tires would be on the car. I understand it can be quite a smooth ride, (which is what I would want most of the time) but be able to open it up every once in a while.
Any feedback/experience would be appreciated.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

A good handling car works just as well in the slippery stuff as on dry roads. BMW are all tail happy in the snow which gets tiresome pretty quickly. Mind you, switch off the stability control and the XFR can get pretty tail happy even in the dry!

I drive my normally aspirated XF year round out here in some truly awful winter conditions without any problems. I also drive a modified Audi S4 and a SAAB Aero, for back to back comparisons. BTW, the new Audi S4 should be on your list, not the BMW X Drive.

Using the three stages of traction control for specific conditions as recommended by Jaguar in the handbook provides a complete set of traction solutions.

I use the "winter" setting for snow and ice normally. Then if the snow is loose I add the first stage of TRAC by switching " off" the traction control which allows some limited wheel spin for chewing through the snow. If things get really difficult I select traction control completely off by pressing the traction control switch for 11 consecutive seconds, selecting Sport ( yes, to secure manual control of the transmission ) and selecting and holding 2nd gear.

Most of the winter I just drive normally, using the above techniques only for the most rugged traction conditions. For us that is in deep packed snow during a chinook after a very cold spell. The top melts and puts water on the frozen stuff underneath. With Pirelli Sottozeros my cat handles these conditions easily.

As a bonus, the traction control automatically holds onto the selected gear whenever wheel slip occurs, this keeps the car stable especially in bends when conditions are slippery. It only permits an automatic shift when stability is assured. The stability and traction control software is superb for ice and snow, not just in the rain.

Last edited by jagular; 12-19-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by jagular
A good handling car works just as well in the slippery stuff as on dry roads. BMW are all tail happy in the snow which gets tiresome pretty quickly. Mind you, switch off the stability control and the XFR can get pretty tail happy even in the dry!

I drive my normally aspirated XF year round out here in some truly awful winter conditions without any problems. I also drive a modified Audi S4 and a SAAB Aero, for back to back comparisons. BTW, the new Audi S4 should be on your list, not the BMW X Drive.

Using the three stages of traction control for specific conditions as recommended by Jaguar in the handbook provides a complete set of traction solutions.

I use the "winter" setting for snow and ice normally. Then if the snow is loose I add the first stage of TRAC by switching " off" the traction control which allows some limited wheel spin for chewing through the snow. If things get really difficult I select traction control completely off by pressing the traction control switch for 11 consecutive seconds, selecting Sport ( yes, to secure manual control of the transmission ) and selecting and holding 2nd gear.

Most of the winter I just drive normally, using the above techniques only for the most rugged traction conditions. For us that is in deep packed snow during a chinook after a very cold spell. The top melts and puts water on the frozen stuff underneath. With Pirelli Sottozeros my cat handles these conditions easily.

As a bonus, the traction control automatically holds onto the selected gear whenever wheel slip occurs, this keeps the car stable especially in bends when conditions are slippery. It only permits an automatic shift when stability is assured. The stability and traction control software is superb for ice and snow, not just in the rain.
Thanks for the feedback. I tried the S4, but found it a little small inside.
I have to go to the dealer in Montreal and actually sit in the XFR to get the impact. I am not sure what to expect.

In my decision making process, creature comforts in teh cabin weigh pretty heavily. This is why BMW 550i and Audi A6/S6 are high up on my list.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

The Audis remain a dull drive but very suitable for Canadian winters. I have yet to drive any BMW which is worth the price. The jaguar provides a superb driving experience unlike any german make. The cabin ambiance cannot be beat. The only car coming close to a jaguar for ambiance and class is an older Bentley.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by mgcyr
I have to go to the dealer in Montreal and actually sit in the XFR to get the impact. I am not sure what to expect.
Just curious which dealer(s) you're considering. My experience with Decarie Motors was less than stellar when it came to after sales service. Simple fixes usually took multiple visits and loaner cars were frequently unavailable or beat up wrecks.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Just curious which dealer(s) you're considering. My experience with Decarie Motors was less than stellar when it came to after sales service. Simple fixes usually took multiple visits and loaner cars were frequently unavailable or beat up wrecks.
Honestly, I hadn't gotten that far yet. I have only done research online. I have to see where the dealers are. The only thing I know is that there are none on the South Shore, which is where I live, which is pretty disappointing should I chose to go with a Jag.

Do you have any recommendations.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:22 PM

I've only visited Scotti once and was pleased. An old hot rodding acquaintance is now looking after their exotic section so I'd give them first nod.

I know nothing about the Laval dealer.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a 2010 SC model (5L with 470 HP vs the XFR with 510) I have new snows on it but the weather has not cooperated yet so I can't tell you what its like but I don't expect any issues. I had a BMW 335i with basically 1 wheel drive (no limited slip) and fairly high HP and had no issues.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
I've only visited Scotti once and was pleased. An old hot rodding acquaintance is now looking after their exotic section so I'd give them first nod.

I know nothing about the Laval dealer.
Hi, I'm also on the south shore, last spring I was in the market for a new car and road tested the BMW 550ix, the Caddy CTS-V and also the XFR at both Scotti and Laval. I went to Decarie but not one salesman came to see me, so I left. Scotti is fine but dont expect big deals from them, tough on pricing.
Laval really gave me the Royal treatment, friendly service, no pressure, negociable on the price and even washed my SRT8 Jeep while I was road testing the manager's demo XFR on a long ride, all by myself, salesman there is Daniel Marcil.
My results : BMW 550 was competent at everything but boring to drive, not for me.
Jag XFR was exciting to drive, especially with the trans in sport mode it's always ready to play, nice engine sound, good power and ride but I found the dashboard to be bland and all 3 cars I tested had some different electronic malfunctions.
I ended up ordering a Caddy CTS-V Wagon from Eric at Deschamps Ste-Julie.
This one had the best power at 556 hp, price under 80K loaded, fantastic handling and smooth ride, lots of utility, nice dash and easy to use Nav and sound system. With 4 snow tires it seems very good it the limited snow we got so far.
I brought it to Napierville and got a 12.02 at 115.6 mph all stock, many guys with musclecars were amazed at this, so was I. Also very easy to modify to 600, 700 hp if you wish.
Claude

Last edited by SilveRT8; 12-27-2011 at 11:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikey (12-28-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by SilveRT8
Hi, I'm also on the south shore, last spring I was in the market for a new car and road tested the BMW 550ix, the Caddy CTS-V and also the XFR at both Scotti and Laval. I went to Decarie but not one salesman came to see me, so I left. Scotti is fine but dont expect big deals from them, tough on pricing.
Laval really gave me the Royal treatment, friendly service, no pressure, negociable on the price and even washed my SRT8 Jeep while I was road testing the manager's demo XFR on a long ride, all by myself, salesman there is Daniel Marcil.
My results : BMW 550 was competent at everything but boring to drive, not for me.
Jag XFR was exciting to drive, especially with the trans in sport mode it's always ready to play, nice engine sound, good power and ride but I found the dashboard to be bland and all 3 cars I tested had some different electronic malfunctions.
I ended up ordering a Caddy CTS-V Wagon from Eric at Deschamps Ste-Julie.
This one had the best power at 556 hp, price under 80K loaded, fantastic handling and smooth ride, lots of utility, nice dash and easy to use Nav and sound system. With 4 snow tires it seems very good it the limited snow we got so far.
I brought it to Napierville and got a 12.02 at 115.6 mph all stock, many guys with musclecars were amazed at this, so was I. Also very easy to modify to 600, 700 hp if you wish.
Claude
Thanks for the info. I'm really torn. The XFR is by far the nicest on the outside, and has the best power. The A6 is nicest on the inside, but lacks the power. The 550i seems the best compromise of the 2. Or I wait for the 2013 S6, but then I need to be patient until September.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 AM

Well, that's a pretty good recommendation for the Laval guys and another kick in the butt for Decarie.