XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2012 xfr sc rotating air vents

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 03:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2012 xfr sc rotating air vents

Good day I trust you are doing well, I spoiled myself to a mint 2012 XFR in white. I have not looked back since receiving it. Really great car.

I am having on issue with the car.

All 4 of the rotating air vents don't close, it is set to Auto in the settings, also doesn't move when I turn off the climate control manually. I checked my battery voltage this morning before starting which was at 14.46 Volts. Had the battery tested where the test stated it requires a charger.

Could this be the cause what else can I look at for the vents?

Kind regards

Old 08-31-2022, 03:17 AM

Just want to correct myself on the voltage, the voltage was 12.46

Regards

Old 08-31-2022, 07:41 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Did they all used to work and all stop working at the same time? With the car turned off are you able to manually rotate one to the closed position?

Is that 12.46V with the engine running?

Old 08-31-2022, 07:45 AM

Thank you for your reply.

The 12.46 is with the engine turned off. I did another test about an hour ago and it was even less than that 12.3 this was after I used the car. I am able to move the vents closed manually by hand.

All 4 vents stopped at the same time.

Kind regards

Old 08-31-2022, 07:50 AM

Another thing, I see the battery is dated the 10th week of 2012 which makes the battery 10 years old?

As per attached picture.

Regards

Old 08-31-2022, 10:29 AM

Do the vents return to the open position when you turn the AC on if you've manually closed them?

What voltage do you get when the engine is running, is there a good charge from the alternator?

That could well be the manufacture date, if so seems like its due a new one.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by fivel
Do the vents return to the open position when you turn the AC on if you've manually closed them?

What voltage do you get when the engine is running, is there a good charge from the alternator?

That could well be the manufacture date, if so seems like its due a new one.
The vents do not open when i have closed them manually by hand.

When the vehicle is running I get 14.3 Volts.

Got the battery changed didn't resolve the vent issue.

Regards

Old 09-01-2022, 07:08 AM

I've not poked about with the climate control system so I'm not 100% sure how it communicates but looking at the wiring diagram there's a bunch of things that could cause this:

The air vents are powered from the climate control module and since they also have a LIN bus connection I'm assuming that's how they get the open/close instruction. So my guesses as why they aren't opening are as follows:

1) The RH outer vent (JLR calls them "registers" for some reason) isn't working, one of its jobs is to receive the instructions from the LIN bus and relay them to the next vent, if the RH vent has failed it obviously won't work, but it also won't relay the LIN message to the next vent and therefore none of them will work. Possible causes are:
  • The vent isn't getting power from the climate control module (blue highlight). This could be a faulty connection on the vent, a fault in the wiring harness or a faulty climate control module
  • The vent electronics have completely failed and its not responding to, or relaying, the LIN messages
  • There could be a faulty ground connection (yellow highlight) and the vent is therefore not powered. This could be a faulty connection on the vent, a fault in the wiring harness or a poor connection at the ground point
2) The RH outer vent isn't receiving a LIN message to open/close (orange highlighted connection), causes could be:
  • the sending module (its not clear from the diagram if that is the "RH mode air mix motor" or the "electric heater") is faulty and not sending the LIN message to the RH outer vent
  • a wiring harness fault and no LIN message is being received by the RH outer vent
3) All the vents have failed. This seems unlikely, but potentially possible if there was a power issue that caused a spike or short on the shared circuit.
4) A faulty climate control module
5) A wiring harness fault between the climate control module and SPL/77 where all the vents are spliced into the one wire.
First port of call would be to use something like SDD to see if there are any codes that might hint at where the fault is. If that doesn't give you any joy I'd try pulling out the RH outer vent and:
a) check there is a good connection with the RH outer vent, unplug it and give it a clean.
b) check there is power between pin 1 (GND) and pin 4 (supply); I'm not sure what it would be as the LIN specification says it can be 20-80% of the battery voltage (usually 1V-12V). However I'd expect it to be something standard like 5V or 12V, 12V would seem the most likely (someone else on the forum might know what typical LIN voltage is for this connection). If there's no power at the vent then you will need to work out where between the yellow and blue highlighted bits that it is failing. If there's no power from the climate module on pin A/3 then the module itself might not be working properly.
c) connect pins 2 & 3 on the RH vent wiring harness connector together, this should bridge the LIN IN and OUT connection, effectively bypassing the RH outer vent. If its just the RH outer vent that's at fault the other vents should start working.
d) plug a LIN diagnostic tool into the LIN_IN wire at the RH outer vent (pin 2 ) and see if there are any LIN messages being sent when you ask it to open/close the vents
The ground point for the vents is the same as most of the electronics in the dash (see below), if this was faulty I would also expect to see issues with the instrument panel and controls on the steering wheel too.

The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 06:58 PM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

As much as I've always loved the rotating vents, I was always afraid of the motors burning out, so I disable the rotation. There are posts about replacing the motors, if one is so inclined, but you're clearly doing your homework, so good luck.

Old 09-03-2022, 03:16 AM

I've not had any motors to burn out, what I've seen is that the plastic clutch in the mechanism breaks. Thankfully in 2015 Jaguar released that as a replacement part (C2Z31321) so you didn't have to replace the whole vent anymore.

Old 09-06-2022, 11:23 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

My recommendation is that if the vents are open, and your climate controls are otherwise working, just leave them alone.

There be dragons behind the dash. Don't tempt them ...
==================================================
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (X250) Portfolio AWD
Jaguar - making mechanics out of customers since 1935

Old 09-09-2022, 12:59 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I never liked the rotating vents, so from the day I bought my car new, I programmed them to not rotate. The vent rotation, in my opinion, is an unnecessary gimmick. Plus it's just one more thing to break. If I could prevent the shift knob from popping down when the car shuts off, I would do so.

Old 09-09-2022, 09:46 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>I programmed them to not rotate.

Can you please tell us how you did that?

It's been awhile since I last read the Owners' Manual, and I don't feel like doing it again ... :-)
===================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe

Old 09-10-2022, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by pab
>I programmed them to not rotate.

Can you please tell us how you did that?

It's been awhile since I last read the Owners' Manual, and I don't feel like doing it again ... :-)
===================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe
it's in the climate settings