XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2012 XFR - Timing Chain Replacement Cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 09:52 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Default 2012 XFR - Timing Chain Replacement Cost

Well the inevitable has finally happened to my 12 XFR at 63k miles, the timing chain went bad. A few months ago, a spirited drive in the canyons resulted in a 'Restricted Performance' warning. Since I was hours away from the dealer, I used my bluetooth OBD tool and cleared the code. Drove it carefully back to the dealer the next day and they could not find any codes stored in the ECU, stating the OBD tool fully cleared them.

From that point, I started paying attention to the engine noises and the timing chain noise got more and more pronounced to the point where it started to sound like this:

Took it to the dealer, even though no codes came up because I didn't want to wait till the motor could potentially be destroyed. As soon as the tech fired up the car, he knew immediately it was the timing chain. But because there were no codes thrown, they had to strip the motor to show the warranty company that timing chains are faulty and this labor alone was $4k. If they did that and no issues were found, I would have been liable for paying it. I knew there was an issue and the techs confirmed as well, so I took the gamble. In that process, not only did they find that the timing chain and guides need to be replaced, but they also found issues with my right bank exhaust valve, cam, and head.

Here is a parts breakdown and the total cost of repair, which was very fortunately covered by warranty:

The car's trade-in value is ~$18k and this one repair almost 'totaled' it in terms of insurance value. I can't imagine the stress caused by not having a warranty on this car.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:15 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Did the VIN show up on the Technical Bulletin database where there is a warning about changing the timing chain tensioners? I know I had my mechanic look that up and nothing showed up for my VIN 2012 5.0 Portfolio. I wanted to make sure that I do any proactive service I needed to and this is one of the major concerns of mine, however no timing chain noise, though I just changed my water pump a month ago and coolant pipes and then it had a weird noise afterwards when my mechanic couldn't determine, though just yesterday, I got a warning about the coolant is low again, so I am thinking it was a defective water pump.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:52 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaaaggg
Well the inevitable has finally happened to my 12 XFR at 63k miles, the timing chain went bad. A few months ago, a spirited drive in the canyons resulted in a 'Restricted Performance' warning. Since I was hours away from the dealer, I used my bluetooth OBD tool and cleared the code. Drove it carefully back to the dealer the next day and they could not find any codes stored in the ECU, stating the OBD tool fully cleared them.

From that point, I started paying attention to the engine noises and the timing chain noise got more and more pronounced to the point where it started to sound like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1af85519MU

Took it to the dealer, even though no codes came up because I didn't want to wait till the motor could potentially be destroyed. As soon as the tech fired up the car, he knew immediately it was the timing chain. But because there were no codes thrown, they had to strip the motor to show the warranty company that timing chains are faulty and this labor alone was $4k. If they did that and no issues were found, I would have been liable for paying it. I knew there was an issue and the techs confirmed as well, so I took the gamble. In that process, not only did they find that the timing chain and guides need to be replaced, but they also found issues with my right bank exhaust valve, cam, and head.

Here is a parts breakdown and the total cost of repair, which was very fortunately covered by warranty:

The car's trade-in value is ~$18k and this one repair almost 'totaled' it in terms of insurance value. I can't imagine the stress caused by not having a warranty on this car.
Ouch!! Did the warranty company come up that cash?? Or try to decline? What company was it, I am thinking about getting one...

Old 02-05-2020, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by harryf
Did the VIN show up on the Technical Bulletin database where there is a warning about changing the timing chain tensioners? I know I had my mechanic look that up and nothing showed up for my VIN 2012 5.0 Portfolio. I wanted to make sure that I do any proactive service I needed to and this is one of the major concerns of mine, however no timing chain noise, though I just changed my water pump a month ago and coolant pipes and then it had a weird noise afterwards when my mechanic couldn't determine, though just yesterday, I got a warning about the coolant is low again, so I am thinking it was a defective water pump.
No TSB out for Jaguar, even though LR uses this exact motor and has a TSB to fix this issue. You just have to listen to the engine and address it before something major happens.

Originally Posted by Jssaab
Ouch!! Did the warranty company come up that cash?? Or try to decline? What company was it, I am thinking about getting one...
Fidelity Warranty, which I purchased through the Jag dealer at the time of car purchase. They covered the costs and I am thankful! They quoted me $10k when I wanted to extend the warranty for a few more years to 100k, and the price might be even worse for cars that are older with more miles.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:30 PM
Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

Wow ! That's quite a bill.

I noted the tax @ $510.65. In the UK it would've been £2121.49.

BTW, 10 mins to edit this post, why's everything so slow ?

Last edited by User 42324; 02-05-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:40 PM
rrd
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Good thing you got that $0.22 discount! Sucks to hear of the problems but glad it's being taken care of under warranty. Is that Jaguar's CPO warranty or some other third party?

Edit: ah, nvm - I see you answered in a previous post.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by rrd
Good thing you got that $0.22 discount! Sucks to hear of the problems but glad it's being taken care of under warranty. Is that Jaguar's CPO warranty or some other third party?

Edit: ah, nvm - I see you answered in a previous post.
I laughed for a good minute at that discount. I am sure the warranty company appreciated it.