XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2013 Jaguar XF - not starting after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 Jaguar XF - not starting after battery change

Hello every one,
I have a 2013 Jaguar XF and it was working well until a few weeks back. Then on a very cold day February morning, suddenly the car refused to start. I thought it make have to do with the cold weather and old battery. So I left the car stationary for a few weeks and last week I changed to a new battery, however even now the car refuses to start. When I press the "Start" button once, the main screen and the instrument panel starts working. But the "gear selector" doesn't pop up. I also get a message to press the brake and press the START button. When I do that, I just hear a few clicking sound, no cranking noise or anything. But the "press the brake" message disappears, which indicates that the brake pedal switch is working. But the engine still doesn't start and the gear selector doesn't pop up.

I guess it may be some thing to do with the gear selector not working or the starter motor. So can any one please give any suggestions on how to identify the problem and resolve this?

Old 05-02-2021, 11:21 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Clicking starter is usually not enough battery charge to start the car.

Was the battery fully charged before replacement, or did we just take the suppliers word for having done that. Check the voltage reading at the terminals, need 12.6 and greater. Don't jump start it because of risk to frying overly sensitive electronics.

The gear selector doesn't rise until the car is actually started.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:05 AM
les
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I concur with the above. New batteries are not always fully charged up, I once bought one for a Camaro and it was totally flat.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:00 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by iara_uk
Hello every one,
I have a 2013 Jaguar XF and it was working well until a few weeks back. Then on a very cold day February morning, suddenly the car refused to start. I thought it make have to do with the cold weather and old battery. So I left the car stationary for a few weeks and last week I changed to a new battery, however even now the car refuses to start. When I press the "Start" button once, the main screen and the instrument panel starts working. But the "gear selector" doesn't pop up. I also get a message to press the brake and press the START button. When I do that, I just hear a few clicking sound, no cranking noise or anything. But the "press the brake" message disappears, which indicates that the brake pedal switch is working. But the engine still doesn't start and the gear selector doesn't pop up.

I guess it may be some thing to do with the gear selector not working or the starter motor. So can any one please give any suggestions on how to identify the problem and resolve this?
good day did you ever get this issue resolved?

Old 06-04-2021, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. It was one of the big fuses which is related with the solenoid , starter motor etc in the engine compartment fuse box. The mechanic said he has never seen that big fuse ever popping and he wasn't sure why it did. But when he changed it everything started working.

The following users liked this post:
Nigwel1058 (06-26-2021)