XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2013 XF 3.0 AWD Fail

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Your post is from Toronto. Better go home and complain there.
Your boorishness knows no bounds. That I suspect you actually thought about and then chose to proceed with this response confirms a lot, jagular.

The following 3 users liked this post by rbobzilla:
Escolar (10-19-2013), jagular (10-20-2013), Kristin_w (10-19-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rbobzilla
Your boorishness knows no bounds. That I suspect you actually thought about and then chose to proceed with this response confirms a lot, jagular.
Plus one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Escolar:
jagular (10-20-2013), Kristin_w (10-19-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update

Originally Posted by Kristin_w
Thank you very much. Everyone's support means a lot and does make me feel better. My husband actually came across this gentleman's posts a few days ago and I will contact him. Hopefully, in a future post, I can provide an update with some good news!
Well...I have an update and, unfortunately, it's not good. In a nutshell:
1) The dealer modified the engine without my permission in order to install this mysterious "oil plug" using a threaded plug, versus a sweated plug as originally installed at the factory
2) There is a deep, 2 cm scratch on the front bumper which, on a white car, is black and horribly visible which, according to the dealer's intake paperwork, was noted but never communicated to me. I called the service manager out to see it, and he told me that this is the JNA Roadside Assistance's issue, not his. I'm sorry but, wow, was I supposed to just discover this on my own (which I did, and called this service manager out to see) and too bad, so sad?? What the hell kind of customer service is that?! Isn't this JAGUAR?
3) The technicians who were inside the vehicle took no care to clean their hands or clothing, leaving greasy black marks on the driver's door handle, top and bottom of the driver's door, and the driver's seat. This is inexcusable and I have pictures.
4) Today, I took her out for the first test drive. I happened to make a hard right into a Tim's drive-through and heard a horrible scraping sound that I subsequently re-created in the parking lot several times. It sounds like the right wheel is rubbing against the body, but I can't see it, myself. Sitting there, frustrated beyond belief, I phoned the sales manager at the dealer and he said, "this isn't going the way we both want it to go, is it?". There was no one at the loaner desk on Saturday so I am going to have to take another several hours out of my Monday to carefully drive the car back to the dealer and hope I'm not damaging it, doing so. But I'm NEVER using Jaguar's roadside assistance, for obvious reasons, again.

JNA is closed on Saturday, lucky them, since my conversation with them would be...well, let's just call it, "unpleasant".

Do you agree that, when one spends the money required to acquire a luxury automobile, it's germane that the brand and the dealer have some respect for the amount of money we've spent? After all, their ads make us look like some rich _____. And in my case, Jaguar has reclaimed their reputation as being the worst luxury brand in the world.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Escolar
Plus one.
Thank you, Escolar...I went to UH and loved living in Houston. I lived there until 2003 when I moved to Toronto. I'll always be a Texas Girl

Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

An oil plug could be from the crankshaft, the oil passageways are drilled into the crankshaft and some are blanked off by screw in plugs. The sump has an oil plug which on this engine is not designed for routine removal as all the newest engines are top serviced for oil changes, the old oil is pumped out, which might explain why the dele doesn't stock this part.

The crank plug would be a very serious manufacturing defect and you'll get a new engine for that.

The puzzle is why the oil would leak out of the engine if it were a crank plug.

Based on this it sounds like your sump plug was leaking or maybe fell out! If the engine was switched off soon enough, and you did everything correctly there, then there will be no engine damage and the repair simple enough.

If the drain plug fell out or leaked badly then likely it was cross threaded when installed. That would explain why the dealer had the sump off the engine as the safest repair would be to fit a brand new sump complete with new plug. Definitely no dealer for any make is going to keep an engine sump in stock for a new engine design.

Rest assured Jaguar is going to be tracing this fault right to its source. You did the correct thing and probably saved your engine and saved Jaguar a $10,000 bill for install of a new engine. Jaguar will be taking this up with the engine plant, which is a Ford plant in Wales.

Just read your reporting post. That explanation makes no sense at all so your dealer is buffaloing you or you misunderstood what he was trying to say. He's correct that your insurer will have to claim against the towing company for that scratch. The dealer should detail your car interior for you. The scraping noise could be a tire on the inner plastic fender liner. This is a known issue, not related to your engine issue and cannot be fixed, it's a tire clearance issue with the XF. If you have 20 inch wheels it could be an issue. If you have wider than recommended tires it could be an issue.

Also, since you don't seem to need any really useful information about this problem I'm done here.

Last edited by jagular; 10-20-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rbobzilla
Thanks so much for this. I do take satisfaction in knowing you are still paying close attention to my posts. Heck, eventually you may even learn something.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks so much for this. I do take satisfaction in knowing you are still paying close attention to my posts. Heck, eventually you may even learn something.
Oh, I learn from each of your posts. You can rest assured of that. I truly find your inanity absurdly amusing. You're a great spokesperson.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:58 PM

An oil plug could be from the crankshaft, the oil passageways are drilled into the crankshaft and some are blanked off by screw in plugs. The sump has an oil plug which on this engine is not designed for routine removal as all the newest engines are top serviced for oil changes, the old oil is pumped out, which might explain why the dele doesn't stock this part.

The crank plug would be a very serious manufacturing defect and you'll get a new engine for that.

The puzzle is why the oil would leak out of the engine if it were a crank plug.

Based on this it sounds like your sump plug was leaking or maybe fell out! If the engine was switched off soon enough, and you did everything correctly there, then there will be no engine damage and the repair simple enough.

If the drain plug fell out or leaked badly then likely it was cross threaded when installed. That would explain why the dealer had the sump off the engine as the safest repair would be to fit a brand new sump complete with new plug. Definitely no dealer for any make is going to keep an engine sump in stock for a new engine design.

Rest assured Jaguar is going to be tracing this fault right to its source. You did the correct thing and probably saved your engine and saved Jaguar a $10,000 bill for install of a new engine. Jaguar will be taking this up with the engine plant, which is a Ford plant in Wales.

Just read your reporting post. That explanation makes no sense at all so your dealer is buffaloing you or you misunderstood what he was trying to say. He's correct that your insurer will have to claim against the towing company for that scratch. The dealer should detail your car interior for you. The scraping noise could be a tire on the inner plastic fender liner. This is a known issue, not related to your engine issue and cannot be fixed, it's a tire clearance issue with the XF. If you have 20 inch wheels it could be an issue. If you have wider than recommended tires it could be an issue.

Also, since you don't seem to need any really useful information about this problem I'm done here.
What explanation makes no sense?
And can you please send a document link to the known issue with the hard right turn? Thanks.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Your dealer's explanation doesn't make any sense.

Tire noise:

Sounds like a Wheel catching the wheel arch

Brake noise:

Noise from around front wheels

Could be a wheel bearing.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Default Update #2

I arrived at the dealer at 6:50 a.m. and there was actually someone there! A guy I'd dealt with before with my last XJ. He was as efficient and helpful as a service intake guy can be. The bad news was that nobody from the rental/loaner service would be there until 7:30. More wasted time! I eventually got another LR2 (yay!) and drove 75k to my business.

As I was pulling into the lot, he called to say that the car was ready; that it was a mud guard for the engine that was loose and was rubbing against the tire. OK, guess I should have waited instead of driving to work. I went on with my day. 2 hours later, I received another call from him saying that the service manager had pulled my car back in for "additional work". Turns out, this was to repair the scratch on the front bumper and to clean the interior of the grease left by the last technician.

When I picked up the car around 2:30, I finally got to meet with the elusive general manager. He was quite (expectantly) sympathetic and explained that the paperwork sent to JLRNA wasn't complete and that he was having it revised and will send me a copy of what they send to JLRNA. At issue was whether or not the engine was actually flushed after the engine block was altered to accommodate the threaded "oil plug". He assured me that it was flushed, the oil and filter changed, and everything should be good.

So I drove home without making any sharp turns and driving like a mouse in a house. Which isn't my driving style, at all.

I will drive it for the next couple of days and then talk with JLRNA again on Wednesday to see where we go from here.

I'm f***ing exhausted.