XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2013 XF 3.0 AWD Overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 02:13 PM
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2013 XF 3.0 AWD Overheating issue

Hi everyone, I have a 2013 Jaguar XF 3.0 AWD that seems to be experiencing overheating issue more so in traffic! Any Temp above 15°C will eventually cause the engine to overheat in traffic after about 45 minuets of driving with the AC on. The first symptom is the AC starting off cold and eventually getting warmer and warmer until the engine temp rises to a point where the compressor is forced off.

I have changed the coolant and done coolant flush about 4 times! Using genuine 50/50 mix from Jag. I have changed the thermostat (to a lower temp thermostat) which definitely helped a lot but still experiences overheating. The Fan does kick in, once the engine temp is high the Fan is running on full blast and is VERY loud. So that is likely not the issue?

Also there is literally NO coolant leak at all! As I mentioned when I drive when there is no traffic with the AC on everything works perfectly! AC also works great. Once the car overheats in traffic there is no AC, and I get the high temp warning.

I checked my coolant temp seems to be running around 110-120 degrees Celsius. Also to mention the auto engine start-stop system will not shut the engine off (even with the AC off) when the car overheats.

What can it be? I need your help! Fan Assembly? (Fan kicks in and runs loud when it overheats), water pump? (Does not overheat right away but rather over time in traffic) Bad Radiator? (Changed coolant 4 times and did a flush). Again, thermostat has been changed to the alternative temp one. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2019, 11:14 PM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Viyasan7
Hi everyone, I have a 2013 Jaguar XF 3.0 AWD that seems to be experiencing overheating issue more so in traffic! Any Temp above 15°C will eventually cause the engine to overheat in traffic after about 45 minuets of driving with the AC on. The first symptom is the AC starting off cold and eventually getting warmer and warmer until the engine temp rises to a point where the compressor is forced off.

I have changed the coolant and done coolant flush about 4 times! Using genuine 50/50 mix from Jag. I have changed the thermostat (to a lower temp thermostat) which definitely helped a lot but still experiences overheating. The Fan does kick in, once the engine temp is high the Fan is running on full blast and is VERY loud. So that is likely not the issue?

Also there is literally NO coolant leak at all! As I mentioned when I drive when there is no traffic with the AC on everything works perfectly! AC also works great. Once the car overheats in traffic there is no AC, and I get the high temp warning.

I checked my coolant temp seems to be running around 110-120 degrees Celsius. Also to mention the auto engine start-stop system will not shut the engine off (even with the AC off) when the car overheats.

What can it be? I need your help! Fan Assembly? (Fan kicks in and runs loud when it overheats), water pump? (Does not overheat right away but rather over time in traffic) Bad Radiator? (Changed coolant 4 times and did a flush). Again, thermostat has been changed to the alternative temp one. Thanks!
you might have a sticky thermostat...i’ve seen that before on other cars.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by bfarrell
you might have a sticky thermostat...i’ve seen that before on other cars.
I changed the thermostat its brand new.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Temp sensor? How did you check the temperature? Was there evidence of overheating? (steam, very high pressure in the overflow, coolant boiling out?) if not check on it, maybe it's sending bad readings.

TO check the radiator, try feeling around the core for different temps.

Check all of it I've had issues with one in a Saab, not sure about the Jag tho. Cheap (60 bucks) not sure how hard to get to

Last edited by Jssaab; 07-23-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Radiator fan is a lot more of the issue with overheating. Is it on with ac on? When runs hot should be on full speed and you can definitly hear it

Old 07-23-2019, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

Sounds like the fan might be ill and not blowing all the air it should. But you should also check to make sure your radiator isn't clogged with debris. If the fan is running loud, something could be wrong with it.

When the car is overheating, it will shut off the AC compressor to help the car stay cool. So that would explain that phenomenon.

I would definitely focus on the radiator being clean and the fan.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:49 PM

Thanks for all of the advice, the fan does kick in and does run what I believe to be full blast when the car is hot. And yes the car does heat up, the sensor is okay. I took the reading using JLR SDD Jaguar software of the coolant temp. It states it should run between 70-90 degrees Celsius but it is way out of range. I tested the fan through the live diagnostics feature of JLR SDD (data logger) and tested it from 0% to 100%. It seems to be about the same from 80-100% but I don't know if that's an issue. I guess I would need to take the rad out and clean it manually?

Old 07-24-2019, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Viyasan7
Thanks for all of the advice, the fan does kick in and does run what I believe to be full blast when the car is hot. And yes the car does heat up, the sensor is okay. I took the reading using JLR SDD Jaguar software of the coolant temp. It states it should run between 70-90 degrees Celsius but it is way out of range. I tested the fan through the live diagnostics feature of JLR SDD (data logger) and tested it from 0% to 100%. It seems to be about the same from 80-100% but I don't know if that's an issue. I guess I would need to take the rad out and clean it manually?
You can use a hose to spray water from the back side of the radiator and see if a lot of debris is falling on the ground.

The fact that it only overheats when the car is in traffic must mean there is an issue getting enough cooling across the radiator, either due to the debris or an issue with the fan. I wouldn't suspect the radiator is clogged inside with this young of a car unless someone dumped a bunch of stop leak into the system, or did something like mixe the OEM orange coolant with regular green coolant.

The following users liked this post:
Viyasan7 (12-30-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 01:24 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

I'm thinking bad coolant pump!?

Old 07-24-2019, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by peterv8
I'm thinking bad coolant pump!?
It would overheat on the highway as well if the pump wasn't pumping coolant.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:50 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
It would overheat on the highway as well if the pump wasn't pumping coolant.
Not necessarily I think, at low speed you need a good coolant pump, maybe a flange is broken?

Last edited by peterv8; 07-24-2019 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:44 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Since you have access to sdd you can go into datalogger and look at requested fan pwm and what it actually is. Reason i say this is because at times when the fan fails it runs but not as fast as requested and this leads to running hot. Then when hot they still will go full speed.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
Since you have access to sdd you can go into datalogger and look at requested fan pwm and what it actually is. Reason i say this is because at times when the fan fails it runs but not as fast as requested and this leads to running hot. Then when hot they still will go full speed.
That's what I been saying. I would put an aging fan at the top of the suspected list.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by peterv8
Not necessarily I think, at low speed you need a good coolant pump, maybe a flange is broken?
Yeah, no. That's not the problem.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Thanks everyone for your suggestions on what could be wrong. I have ran datalogger and tested the fan with the option that shows the % before. I can even manually type in 80% and set it, the fan will kick in and loud. I'll do some more testing with datalogger and will post the results.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (07-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 07:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi. Did you find the problem? Looks that I have the same issue, we put a new thermo, but it still gets overheating. 3.0 V6 XJ 2013

Old 12-30-2019, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by loompy
Hi. Did you find the problem? Looks that I have the same issue, we put a new thermo, but it still gets overheating. 3.0 V6 XJ 2013
Yes I fixed the issue, I forgot to update the thread. For me it ended up being the exterior of the radiator, it was covered with a LOT OF DERBIS! I ended up taking off the rad fan and used a pressure washer to clean the rad from the back side. After that issue was fixed. You can inspect it by removing the top cover where your intake ducts are.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:35 AM
Old 12-30-2019, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
You can use a hose to spray water from the back side of the radiator and see if a lot of debris is falling on the ground.

The fact that it only overheats when the car is in traffic must mean there is an issue getting enough cooling across the radiator, either due to the debris or an issue with the fan. I wouldn't suspect the radiator is clogged inside with this young of a car unless someone dumped a bunch of stop leak into the system, or did something like mixe the OEM orange coolant with regular green coolant.
I just saw this post, thank you for your feedback this is exactly what the issue was for me, hope this helps anyone else!