XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2013 XF 3.0 AWD SC loud knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 03:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 XF 3.0 AWD SC loud knocking sound

Greetings.

Drove on the highway today. After around 170 km engine started making knocking sound so loud I heard it through AC and music.
At idle it sounds like a noise it had for past 1.5 years but MUCH louder. I was told that it was a supercharger coupler and nothing will happen - it will just make this sound and that's it.
When RPM goes up it starts to sound like an old tractor.
Vibrations felt when at idle.
When engine starts it feels like it struggles to pull something. After it starts it feels normal (aside from vibrations). Idle RPM is 800. Bluedriver shows no trouble codes.
With engine cover on it seems that sound comes from lower right if you're facing the bonnet. With cover off it seems like sound comes right from the middle of the supercharger.
Will upload videos shortly.

What could it be?

Old 06-12-2021, 09:43 AM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray Ninja
Greetings.

Drove on the highway today. After around 170 km engine started making knocking sound so loud I heard it through AC and music.
At idle it sounds like a noise it had for past 1.5 years but MUCH louder. I was told that it was a supercharger coupler and nothing will happen - it will just make this sound and that's it.
When engine starts it feels like it struggles to pull something. After it starts it feels normal (aside from vibrations). Idle RPM is 800. Bluedriver shows no trouble codes.
With engine cover on it seems that sound comes from lower right if you're facing the bonnet. With cover off it seems like sound comes right from the middle of the supercharger.

What could it be?
those couplers do go bad. I replaced mine with a solid coupler. I was told to replace mine ASAP.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:50 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Greetings.

What could it be?
always difficult to determine what a sound is over the internet, even with a clip, but I will say your description doesn’t sound like a SC coupler noise. That coupler noise is most noticeable on shut down, due to free play in the coupler. I have changed several that were bad, but never heard a noise while driving. Definitely not not a loud noise like you described.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
those couplers do go bad. I replaced mine with a solid coupler. I was told to replace mine ASAP.
yes, the oem are just are not made to last. I finally replaced mine with a solid ZZ Performance coupler last go around and am quite pleased to not cringe when I shut down my engine anymore

Old 06-12-2021, 12:25 PM

Here are them videos:

In MOV 0102 at 0:20 you can see me zooming on the pipe and touching it. You can't see it on camera, but it vibrates. Pulley that is to the left of it vibrates as well.
For real everything sounds just like in these videos only much louder.

Last edited by Gray Ninja; 06-12-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:59 AM

Took supercharger belt off. With supercharger it soudns like death. Without supercharger it sounds a lot less scary, but still like knocking.
My worst suspicion is something broke off inside the supercharger and some small part(s) of it got into cylinders. Is it possible? If so, how likely it is?

Old 06-13-2021, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,225 Likes on 2,379 Posts

That is not the classic worn SC coupler / torsion isolator noise at all, it sounds much more serious than that to me.
A worn coupler makes an irregular medium/high pitched rattle like "marbles in a tin can" then a loud "clonk" on shut down, while your sound is much deeper and quite regular.
Don't start the engine again let alone drive it you will just make things much worse.

The following users liked this post:
VPinGA (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 10:18 AM

Definitely agree with OzXFR, I would not start or drive that vehicle. It is not the coupler and does not sound like something minor.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

As someone who's spun two rod bearings (admittedly on a 5.0), that gave me uncomfortable flashbacks.

I recommend you have it towed to a shop and drain the oil to see if it's glittery.

Old 06-25-2021, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
As someone who's spun two rod bearings (admittedly on a 5.0), that gave me uncomfortable flashbacks.

I recommend you have it towed to a shop and drain the oil to see if it's glittery.
That would be the second thing I'll do. First would be to look inside each cylinder to see is there are any metal pieces that got broken off supercharger.

Old 06-25-2021, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
2010 XF Supercharged
Fully Rebuilt Engine - Upper Pulley - Custom Mahle Forged Pistons - Uprated Intercooler - Custom Cold Air Intake - X Pipe - Mina Mufflers
Custom Vacuum/Boost & Oil Pressure/Temp Gauges In Dash - Full Suede/Carbon Retrim - Custom Vented Hood
Work In Progress
Supercharger Intercooler Ice Tank - Supercharger Porting - Full Trans Rebuild With Exedy Stage 3 Clutch Pack - Heated/Cooled Rear Seats - Rear Diff/Motor Cooling - Project 8 Fenders.
I can respect that.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:04 PM
Received 206 Likes on 152 Posts

Took supercharger belt off. With supercharger it soudns like death. Without supercharger it sounds a lot less scary, but still like knocking.
My worst suspicion is something broke off inside the supercharger and some small part(s) of it got into cylinders. Is it possible? If so, how likely it is?
Not likely at all.

Sounds like a piston hitting a valve to me, do a compression or leakdown test.

Last edited by kansanbrit; 06-27-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by kansanbrit
Not likely at all.

Sounds like a piston hitting a valve to me, do a compression or leakdown test.
If I understand correctly, that would require a chain to stretch, which would be detected by ECU. Am I wrong?

Old 10-10-2021, 09:25 AM

Did you get this fixed? Mine just started having the same knock noise

Old 10-10-2021, 09:33 AM
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

I have seen many videos with that noise, it's timing chain, tensioner and guide.

Old 10-10-2021, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Carlos Saez
I have seen many videos with that noise, it's timing chain, tensioner and guide.
Thanks for the info, my guess was lifters/shims, any idea on the rebuild cost?

Old 10-10-2021, 05:29 PM
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Hard to tell but i suggest you look on ebay or AliExpress, they sell they whole kit. Then quote labor at some garage.

Here is a post about this issue with a lot of videos and details, sounds exactly like the problem they describe.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-noise-173371/

​​​​​

Old 10-13-2021, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tess
Did you get this fixed? Mine just started having the same knock noise
Nope ( it just sits in my garage

Old 10-13-2021, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Carlos Saez
Hard to tell but i suggest you look on ebay or AliExpress, they sell they whole kit. Then quote labor at some garage.

Here is a post about this issue with a lot of videos and details, sounds exactly like the problem they describe.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-noise-173371/

​​​​​
Thanks, that could be it.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:38 AM
Default Jaguar 2014 xf

Greetings.

What could it be?
Spoiler

Quick Reply: 2013 XF 3.0 AWD SC loud knocking sound