XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2013 XF 3.0 Coolant Story ( Believe it or not )

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2013 XF 3.0 Coolant Story ( Believe it or not )

Just curious about what everyone out there thinks about events that just occurred with my 2013 Jaguar XF 6 Cylinder with 51k miles. I will start by saying there were no coolant (WET) spots on my garage floor.

1st. Warning Light came on low coolant so I put in 1 gallon , forgot if it was Red or Pink but it was the required coolant for a Jag , the next morning drove 5 miles round trip to get my WaWa coffee , pop the hood and all the coolant was very low.

2nd. Take it to the repair garage up the street and explain all events so far. They called back and said the water pump was leaking when the car was running ( made it sound like they knew what they were talking about ). So they installed new water pump …....

3rd. Repair shop called and said car is fixed , I went to pick it & up pay the shop $900. Start the car and warning light comes on AS soon as I start the car but the coolant tank is full of anti freeze , didn't even drive the car off his lot ….. Leave the car and go home …..

4th. Next day shop calls to say the float in the tank isn't working and the Coolant reservoir has to be replaced and this is the reason the dashboard light is saying need coolant , sooo they replace the tank

5th. Next Day the shop calls again and says NOW the car is actually leaking coolant from the O ring on my turbo charger (NO IDEA OF WHAT THIS IS)

Few days later I get the car back and all seems to be fine, I'm asking all in the community are all of these events possible, did the repair shop fix one thing then break another , do I have this bad of luck or is Jaguar just a car that's fun to drive but breaks often and you need spare car?

Old 09-29-2021, 11:54 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

This is the average repair experience on Jags, even with those low miles. You need either a trusted shop experienced with the brand that doesn't use the cars complexity as a license to rob you blind, or be like people on this forum pouring over codes, diagrams and schematics to make sense of what it will take to fix these things.

Old 09-30-2021, 07:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

by some slim chance does anyone know of a Jaguar repair shop in South West FL, I live in Cape Coral FL which is Lee county. I usually take the car to " JAGUAR FORT MYERS " but their prices are outrageous
any help appreciated and thanks in advance ...... Marty

The following users liked this post:
Jeff Murray (09-30-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Water pump leaking and the float in the expansion tank failing are pretty common issues. So quite possible that both were true. Plastics and hoses go brittle over time so they may have caused a different leak while doing the work

But - $900 for water pump is a lot. Indy should be a lot cheaper

Last thought - if you need to put in a gallon of coolant you have a very serious leak. I wouldn't drive it like that...

Old 10-01-2021, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Yes, the float in the expansion tank is a PITA, I've had this on a brand new expansion tank like 5k miles after I replaced it. Just needed reseating but they definitely stick/fail on older tanks. Water pumps leaking is probably the most common issue on the 3.0 and 5.0 engines, and is basically down to the flawed design of how the water pump mounts to the block. That's never going to get changed/fixed, so Jaguar has gone through various iterations of pump to try and solve the issue, to apparently varying degrees of success.

And yes, $900 leaves quite the labor charge given that the pump new from jag dealer is ~$300. Find a good indy or failing that, a good tool kit and a copy of the workshop manual!

Old 10-02-2021, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Water pumps leaking is probably the most common issue on the 3.0 and 5.0 engines, and is basically down to the flawed design of how the water pump mounts to the block. That's never going to get changed/fixed, so Jaguar has gone through various iterations of pump to try and solve the issue, to apparently varying degrees of success.
I'm not quite so sure that its a problem with the pump and the mounting to the block is very much like many other cars. There are two squirrelly round seals in a short segment of tube between the oil cooler and the back of pump that are a really a poor design and can basically roll over on themselves if enough pressure builds or if they were not carefully installed in the first place. That seems fairly common too, but technically not a failure of the pump. The pump commonly fails at the shaft seal. I'm trying a < $100 aftermarket pump for #4 so if it lasts another year then I may go back to thinking it was Jaguar's pumps. However, I'm kind of thinking it has to be something else in the system because at least anecdotally the XF's seem to be affected to a much greater degree than the XJs, XKs and F-types. But like the Jaguar engineers, I'm just guessing.

Last edited by pdupler; 10-02-2021 at 04:31 PM.
davetibbs (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,417 Likes on 1,902 Posts

pdupler that tube is available in Aluminum from the aftermarket in case you have not seen it?
Engine Oil Cooler Tube

Pretty cheap at $12 too.

davetibbs (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
I'm not quite so sure that its a problem with the pump and the mounting to the block is very much like many other cars. There are two squirrelly round seals in a short segment of tube between the oil cooler and the back of pump that are a really a poor design and can basically roll over on themselves if enough pressure builds or if they were not carefully installed in the first place. That seems fairly common too, but technically not a failure of the pump. The pump commonly fails at the shaft seal. I'm trying a < $100 aftermarket pump for #4 so if it lasts another year then I may go back to thinking it was Jaguar's pumps. However, I'm kind of thinking it has to be something else in the system because at least anecdotally the XF's seem to be affected to a much greater degree than the XJs, XKs and F-types. But like the Jaguar engineers, I'm just guessing.
Yeah, I take that back - you're correct that most of the pump failures have occured at the shaft seal, and honestly I'm pretty disappointed that it took apparently this many iterations of pump/manufacturer to solve the problem, if it even is. That said, the design of the pump mounting is objectively terrible, and the tube with the O-rings you mention is still a source of leaks, especially after fitment. On top of this; using M6x1.0 fine pitch bolts (that require torquing up to seal the metal crush gaskets) into an aluminum block to mount something that's at best troublesome to get mounted correctly and will quite probably need remounting/replacing in the future is a recipe for disaster. I was lazy/frustrated trying to refit the pump for the Nth time after the rear tube was leaking and didn't remove the hoses from the pump while refitting; I paid the price with 4x helicoils in the front of the block, and I probably won't be the last. I just don't get why the tube with the o-rings even exists. Why on earth wouldn't you just make the pipe from the oil cooler long enough in the first place that an "extension" is not required?

Originally Posted by clubairth1
pdupler that tube is available in Aluminum from the aftermarket in case you have not seen it?
Engine Oil Cooler Tube

Pretty cheap at $12 too.
Thanks for this! I'm not removing my water pump again unless I have to but I'll definitely grab one if I do.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

Yea I got the water pump and front plastic tubes replaced under warranty. So I don't plan to go back in to that again unless I have too. So for $12 I will keep it in stock just in case.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:32 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Hi, this seems like a good place to ask about coolant.
I have a 2015 XF 3.0. Is this the right coolant?
Amazon Amazon

Thanks
==================================================
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (X250) Portfolio AWD
Jaguar - making mechanics out of customers since 1935

Old 10-04-2021, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Yes any plain old Dex-Cool is the correct coolant.