XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2013 XF Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 XF Electrical Problems

Had my XF for a couple of years now. It's a 2013 3.0D S Premium Luxury. For the past year or so it has had the "Battery Not Charging" message displayed however it never really affected anything and the car has been working fine up until yesterday. The symptoms were that the heaters no longer open and close and the fan won't work, even though it registers as "on" on the infotainment screen.

After a bit of digging I put this down to the battery not having enough life in it so the car is shutting down modules. So I took the battery out and stuck it on an overnight charge to see if the issue persists, which it still does so I have purchased a new battery. My problem that I now face is that the key fob no longer locks or unlocks the car. The remote light button on the fob still activates the light ane the engine will still start so the key is being recognised.

Any Jag gurus here got any advice for me before I have to take a trip to the *******s?

Old 12-17-2019, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 439 Likes on 388 Posts

Once you run the car for a while is the battery fully charged? What voltage do you measure across the battery terminals with the engine off? And what voltage when running?

At a guess I'd say your old battery was weak and modules like vents were shutting off (do they work now?). But sounds like your alternator may also be failing and not always charging the battery.

For the key fob specifically I'd suggest disconnecting the battery (once it's fully charged) for about 5 mins. Then reconnect and see if it works

Also suggest you pull any codes from the ECU and post them here too.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:26 AM

Main battery measures just over 12V with the engine off, which makes me suspect the battery as it should be over 12.6V correct? Going to have a new battery fitted today and a BMS reset then report back.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:33 AM

New battery fitted for £147 at Halfords using my trade card. "Battery not charging" light still persists however it is getting charge from the alternator with the engine going (around 13.8V). Heaters still not working and every fault on the scanner mentioned them, although I only had use of it briefly and forgot to grab the codes. Anyone know the location of the fuses that involve the heaters/blowers? Much appreciated.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 439 Likes on 388 Posts

Yes - 12V is very depleated and you likely had a bad battery. However you still have a problem. Either the alternator is failing and the battery isn't charging properly. Unless you fix that it will get weaker and weaker...
Or you might have an earthing issue - check battery terminals are clean and making a good connection, that the visible wire harness connectors are secured etc.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:10 AM

I’ve had the same issue in my own Jag as well, typically due to some sort of connection with the auxiliary battery being faulty. (incorrectly placed ground or something most of the time it’s occurred for me)

Old 12-23-2019, 05:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Halfords replaced the battery did they do so with a fully charged battery not just one off the shelf?
The Battery Management System expects the charge of the replacement battery to be at 100% and calibrates itself accordingly.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:48 AM

Bit of a late reply but for anyone experiencing similar issues and wanting some conclusion.

CHECK YOUR LOOM FROM THE WIPER WATER PUMP. Big known fault on these that JLR are doing nothing about and that is what bit me on the ****.

For those not in the know, water from the window wiper pump wicks up the loom over time and then cooks the Body Control Module which causes all kinds of mental issues.

Got it sorted by trusted indy garage however they still had to take it to a main dealer for re-coding of the BCM. Also had water entering the rear of the car although hadnt hit anything important yet which was fixed.

Parts - £1100 (Around £800 of this was recoding at a Jag main dealer, absolute cowboys)
Labour - £300
Total - £1400.

Like others have said, I'm sure there's a plug in the drivers footwell fusebox that you can check for corrosion on which will clarify if you have been affected. If there's none I suggest taking the drivers front wheel off, moving the arch liner out the way and putting a break in the loom with some spade connectors or better.