XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2013 XFR Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2013 XFR Oil Change

At the risk of sounding like a noob, I want to ask about changing the motor oil in my 2013 XFR. Some of the things I want to know are:
- Is there anything that needs to be done beyond the standard drain the oil and change the filter?
- Does anyone know what the oil capacity of the XFR is? I know I can measure what comes out of the engine, but I'm hoping someone can tell me so I know how much to go buy
- Is the filter reasonably accessible? I only have access to a floor jack and jack stands, and basic tools. So I guess the question is, is this a job that I can do simply in my driveway?
- What kind of oil/filter would anyone who has done this before recommend?

If anyone knows of a "how-to" thread for this please let me know, I'm new to the site and tried searching but I'm still learning my way around and may have missed it.

Thanks very much!

Old 09-13-2017, 10:16 AM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

There is a oil drain plug on the pan but to get to it, you have to remove all the under-car trays and that takes a lot of time. The factory sucks the oil out from the top from the oil fill. There is a tube that you connect an extraction pump to.

The filter is also on top of the engine. Under a cap.

I think the engine oil capacity is 8quarts. You need to verify that though.

There is no dipstick, you have to monitor what you take out and refill accordingly. The dash has a level indictator. See your owners manual on how to use it.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
There is a oil drain plug on the pan but to get to it, you have to remove all the under-car trays and that takes a lot of time. The factory sucks the oil out from the top from the oil fill. There is a tube that you connect an extraction pump to.

The filter is also on top of the engine. Under a cap.

I think the engine oil capacity is 8quarts. You need to verify that though.

There is no dipstick, you have to monitor what you take out and refill accordingly. The dash has a level indictator. See your owners manual on how to use it.
Thanks, 10 XF Premium. Really good information to have.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,263 Likes on 2,408 Posts

The oil capacity is 7.25 litres.
Easy way to drain is via the suction tube (smack in the middle of the oil filler hole) but you need a machine for it, plenty of cheap ones on Fleabay. Lots of debate on whether this method leaves a bit too much residue in the bottom of the sump pan, as the end of the drain tube sits about 5 mm off the bottom of the pan. Pretty much all the dealers do it this way. I for one couldn't be bothered to buy a suction machine so I removed the sump plug instead. As mentioned the only/main hassle with this is you have to remove the plastic undertray first, and that involves undoing about 20 bolts!
The oil filter is on top of the motor, front left of the V as you look at it, you need to remove the engine cover to access it. The filter itself sits in a plastic canister, you screw off the canister, pull the old filter out and insert a new filter. One tip - the old filter can be screwed on incredibly hard (dealership gorillas) and be a bit of a PITA to undo, after trying a range of oil filter removal tools I finally found one which worked, a lever/ring type with rubber lining on the ring which grabs the filter hard as you twist.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The oil capacity is 7.25 litres.
Easy way to drain is via the suction tube (smack in the middle of the oil filler hole) but you need a machine for it, plenty of cheap ones on Fleabay. Lots of debate on whether this method leaves a bit too much residue in the bottom of the sump pan, as the end of the drain tube sits about 5 mm off the bottom of the pan. Pretty much all the dealers do it this way. I for one couldn't be bothered to buy a suction machine so I removed the sump plug instead. As mentioned the only/main hassle with this is you have to remove the plastic undertray first, and that involves undoing about 20 bolts!
The oil filter is on top of the motor, front left of the V as you look at it, you need to remove the engine cover to access it. The filter itself sits in a plastic canister, you screw off the canister, pull the old filter out and insert a new filter. One tip - the old filter can be screwed on incredibly hard (dealership gorillas) and be a bit of a PITA to undo, after trying a range of oil filter removal tools I finally found one which worked, a lever/ring type with rubber lining on the ring which grabs the filter hard as you twist.
Thanks so much for the help! I'm gonna give it a shot and do the oil myself. I have to get the car in the air soon to replace the brake pads anyway so I might as well make a day of it and do as much as I can.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

A Few pictures using suction from the oil fill.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-stuff-169648/
If you do it from below the belly cover must come off.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:38 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

There are cheaper options, but something like this

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...BoCEB4QAvD_BwE

Old 09-15-2017, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

I think I would do it the was Oz does. The old school way...get all the oil out from the bottom. That way you know you are getting all of it out. I am getting myslef one of those hydraulic lifts when my warranty period runs out so I can get it done that way. It will pay for itself in two oil changes.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATFS13XFR
At the risk of sounding like a noob, I want to ask about changing the motor oil in my 2013 XFR. Some of the things I want to know are:
- Is there anything that needs to be done beyond the standard drain the oil and change the filter?
- Does anyone know what the oil capacity of the XFR is? I know I can measure what comes out of the engine, but I'm hoping someone can tell me so I know how much to go buy
- Is the filter reasonably accessible? I only have access to a floor jack and jack stands, and basic tools. So I guess the question is, is this a job that I can do simply in my driveway?
- What kind of oil/filter would anyone who has done this before recommend?

If anyone knows of a "how-to" thread for this please let me know, I'm new to the site and tried searching but I'm still learning my way around and may have missed it.

Thanks very much!

no need for any of that to change your oil and oil filter. See this.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:20 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,216 Likes on 1,703 Posts

This is how I did my 2010 oil change. Attached are 2 links one for draining from the oil pan plug and the other is using the vacuum from the top. I hope it helps.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following users liked this post:
User 42324 (04-05-2021)