XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2014 SC noise from supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:50 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2014 SC noise from supercharger

Working on a 2014 3.0 SC that was in a front end collision and damaged the radiator. I got all the cooling components reinstalled and fired it up. I'm hearing a knocking noise right at the supercharger snout. Car revs but noise is definitely higher up. Anyone ever had to dig into one of these yet? Are there any Jag techs that can offer some help? Dealer is refusing to do anything due to the accident, looks like it was reported to Jaguar.
Thanks a lot
Kevin

Old 12-17-2015, 08:43 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

You're probably already into it for a few big bucks, so I would replace the SCer..If it craters and I've seen where one slowly self destructed and throw metal bits into the engine, it could then damage the engine real bad...Now your talking really big bucks

Old 12-19-2015, 03:31 AM
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Check the Isolator-Coupler

Originally Posted by kmarajh
Working on a 2014 3.0 SC that was in a front end collision and damaged the radiator. I got all the cooling components reinstalled and fired it up. I'm hearing a knocking noise right at the supercharger snout. Car revs but noise is definitely higher up. Anyone ever had to dig into one of these yet? Are there any Jag techs that can offer some help? Dealer is refusing to do anything due to the accident, looks like it was reported to Jaguar.
Thanks a lot
Kevin
Kevin, may be worth checking out the Isolater coupler.
Have a google and search on here, and see if this is the type of noise you are hearing.

Its in the right area.

Link below on what it looks like.

How to replace an Eaton Supercharger Coupler : SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power

Old 12-22-2015, 05:24 PM

Bydand,

Thanks so much for that link. The noise does sound very similar to what I'm hearing, the car only has 2381 miles on it. Are these a known weak spot in these cars? Does Eaton sell just the coupler since the dealer is telling me they do not carry it? At this point I'm assuming the overheating may have damaged the supercharger and/or engine. Still hoping that there is something in the supercharger that explains the water loss/sweet smell from the exhaust and the car stalling out once it warms up. Stomach churning just talking about it but I've done my fair share of boosted engine rebuilds just never on something with parts as expensive as this.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:26 PM

Yeah,

I'm kicking myself in the butt for buying this site unseen. Took the sellers word for it that the car "runs and drives" He failed to mention that is stalled out once it started to warm up. Merry christmas to me, I might start the teardown next week. I have not started it since the last post and wont until I figure out the noise and/or leak

Old 12-22-2015, 07:09 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Yeah,

I'm kicking myself in the butt for buying this site unseen. Took the sellers word for it that the car "runs and drives" He failed to mention that is stalled out once it started to warm up. Merry christmas to me, I might start the teardown next week. I have not started it since the last post and wont until I figure out the noise and/or leak
WOW!..that don't sound good...I wouldn't run the engine anymore than I have to, until the leak or problem is found...

Are the SCers on these water-cooled via engine coolant system?..If not, then it maybe a head gasket issue.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Yes, the same coolant is used for the SC and is circulated via an additional pump.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,225 Likes on 2,379 Posts

AFAIK the 3.0 supercharger is the same Eaton TVS R1900 as the 5.0 supercharger, and it's plumbed in the same.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:01 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Yes, the same coolant is used for the SC and is circulated via an additional pump.
Thanks..I had feeling it was, but wasn't sure..Then according to the OP...He maybe leaking the coolant from the SCer and being ingested into the engine, since that seems to be the point of concern with the noise, stalling and all

Old 12-22-2015, 08:33 PM

Correct, the SC is plumbed with 4 lines from the air/water intercooler and then has an inline pump to recirc engine coolant. Figure a coolant leak in the SC will affect multiple cylinders hence the sputter and shutdown. I've dealt with BHG's before and its usually one cylinder misbehaving or water/oil mixing. I know we have no dipsticks but the oil is still clean. I'm going to pressure test the SC housing and bring it up to temp with a force heater and see if a leak develops. Not sure what the internals of the cooling passages look like but I'll be sure to share once I get in there

Old 12-22-2015, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
AFAIK the 3.0 supercharger is the same Eaton TVS R1900 as the 5.0 supercharger, and it's plumbed in the same.
Yeah, they do list the same unit on interchange for used parts but JAG shows a different #

Old 12-23-2015, 06:33 AM
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

Bydand,

Thanks so much for that link. The noise does sound very similar to what I'm hearing, the car only has 2381 miles on it. Are these a known weak spot in these cars? Does Eaton sell just the coupler since the dealer is telling me they do not carry it? At this point I'm assuming the overheating may have damaged the supercharger and/or engine. Still hoping that there is something in the supercharger that explains the water loss/sweet smell from the exhaust and the car stalling out once it warms up. Stomach churning just talking about it but I've done my fair share of boosted engine rebuilds just never on something with parts as expensive as this.
The eaton couplings can fail, at lowish mileages, but at 2381, I would have thought a little early? If you are missing a digit, then sounds possible.

Mine failed at about 25k Km and the water pump shortly after 30ish.

For Coupling Isolator, best go to independent supercharger repairer with eaton parts, see parts and contact details in the link I sent. or similar in your area. But would rule out coolant water going through the engine first.

I would scan for codes, you may find something that makes you feel better.

or have a look at the plugs and compressor test and test coolant for exhaust and feel well, S"*&.

EATON Couplers : SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power

Also see this link to Gus,s Jaguar repair web site for the V8 engine info. Engines the last file on the NP10. It will give you some idea of what to expect on the V6.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Sound like it could be an interesting project, for the new year.
Please take lots of photos and post progress.

Seasons greeting etc.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by bydand
The eaton couplings can fail, at lowish mileages, but at 2381, I would have thought a little early? If you are missing a digit, then sounds possible.

Mine failed at about 25k Km and the water pump shortly after 30ish.

For Coupling Isolator, best go to independent supercharger repairer with eaton parts, see parts and contact details in the link I sent. or similar in your area. But would rule out coolant water going through the engine first.

I would scan for codes, you may find something that makes you feel better.

or have a look at the plugs and compressor test and test coolant for exhaust and feel well, S"*&.

EATON Couplers : SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power

Also see this link to Gus,s Jaguar repair web site for the V8 engine info. Engines the last file on the NP10. It will give you some idea of what to expect on the V6.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Sound like it could be an interesting project, for the new year.
Please take lots of photos and post progress.

Seasons greeting etc.

I did scan for codes once it shut down and the only 2 I got were high intake temp, duplicate codes.

Didn't miss a digit on the mileage, its 2381, hence the reason I thought it was a good idea to buy it. Thinking the heat may have done some damage especially since these couplers are spring loaded. I'll be digging into it after the Christmas weekend and promise to post whatever is in there, damaged or not

Old 12-26-2015, 04:08 PM

Hey all, Hope Christmas was Merry and you got to spend time with family. I'm trying to figure out if the intercooler pump runs all the time or only when temps rise. The last time I started the car, it started and ran fine for about 5 mins then as it warmed up, the idle deteriorated until it eventually stalled. My optimistic brain says that the pump does not turn on until temps rise and once it does, it starts to pump coolant into the exchanger inside the intercooler. If its cracked or leaking internally then coolant enters the intake and causes the misfiring. Can anyone comfirm or check for me if its an always on or an on demand pump?
Thanks
Kevin

Old 12-27-2015, 01:42 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

I do not know the answer to your question, but can you unplug the pump and see if it does not stall after warm-up?

Old 01-17-2016, 05:06 PM

Sorry for the delay but work has been hectic since going back. I took the supercharger belt off and fired it back up, the clunking/knocking noise is gone so i've isolated that but it still stalls out after warming up. The other issue im now noticing is that the metal fuel pipe running across the top of the SC is buzzing very loudly, then gets quiet, then buzzes again. Can anyone with the same engine confirm how loud this should be? The code being thrown is "high intake air temp"

Old 08-20-2016, 09:57 PM
Default Update, things got alot better

Hello Forum, sorry for not posting sooner but we got into a house renovation and also found out my wife was pregnant but I still worked on the car. I'll hit on some of the high points.

Noticed that the ambient temp on the car screen always read -40 and that the AC would not blow cold air. Did some digging and found out that -40 is a default when the sensor is not reading. Long story short, I traced all the sensor harnesses and found that the right front mass air flow harness got pinched in the wreck and cut 3 wires. Repaired them, AC turned on ice cold and car no longer stalls out. The sweet smell was just the car running super rich trying to warm up. Learned the hard way how to do the suction oil change and it was as thin as water with all the fuel that was dumped in there.

Found a used hood and bumper in Northern NJ so 2 friends and I flew into atlantic city from Florida and did an awesome road trip home with numerous stops for food and craft beer.

It took 3 attempts to get the correct windshield from safelite but cant blame them since the dealer couldn't really figure it out either. I'm an expert now.....

Reassembly went well but had to send the airbag module out to get reset since it still recorded despite nothing deploying. I'm still getting a light and code P0162 which is a known issue for Oxygen sensors on these cars. Paint match was extremely good. The car is at the dealer right now trying to figure out the airbag light and why the navigation and front park assist stopped working after the battery was disconnected. The interesting thing is that since the car was in an accident, there is no bumper to bumper warranty but I was told that TSB's and Recalls still apply. I bought an icarsoft jaguar specific scanner and it saved me a ton of headaches since it talks to all the modules in the car.

I have my DMV inspection next week to get it titled but have no fear, the wife has already test fitted the carseat.

Assuming the end is near, I don't regret taking on this project and look forward to enjoying the car for a few years but the next time I decide to do a crash rebuild....and I will... it won't be a 2 year old Jaguar. Parts, knowledge and willing people were hard to come by and very expensive when you do find them.

Anyone get into anything interesting while I was gone?