XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2014 XF AWD shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 XF AWD shutting down

Hi,
New to Jaguar. Have 2 week old 2014 XF 3.0 AWD, bought new. Less than 600 miles on it.
Starting Monday am, got in car with key, pressed brake then start button.
Lights came on in dash, AC vent open etc. Engine no start.
Tried a couple of times, left car and took other car to work.
Tried again a few hours later, everything normal!
Today, at a light, hands on the wheel, car shuts down completely. Transmission goes to park. Press start button, everything comes back on.
later that morning at light, un latch seat belt, car shuts down again. Press start button everything comes back.
Car shut down once or twice last week also, without me touching anything.
Will bring to dealer, but afraid it won't repeat unless they drive it around for a few days. Totally random.
Anyone have any similar experiences?

Thanks

Old 05-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

That's the Start stop, nothing wrong with it. It can be disabled by pushing the button on the dash.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I mean actually shuts down the car.
Everything turns off. AC, radio, dash, transmission knob turns to Park, etc.
The start stop works fine, not that. Has happened with the car idling and in rest mode.
It is as if I actually pressed and held the stop/start button to turn the car off.
Seems like it may be a defective button possibly.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I've noticed that mine wiill do this if the door or trunk has opened while I am sitting still. I've noticed it while I am parked letting my wife get out to go in the post office. It's done it several times but usually while I am parked. Does exactly like you state. The ECO light comes on right before it shuts down completely.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been thinking about getting into Jag ownership lately, since the boys are grown. I could use another intense relationship in the family. I thought of an XF review that I recently read, when I read your post: 2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged Road Test – Review – Car and Driver

The reviewers mentioned: "For every performance plaudit in the logbook, there was at least one peevish entry about some function related to the car’s electronics. Worst under this heading was the occasional refusal to start. Push the start button and . . . nothing. This happened to several drivers, and we never were sure why. The system would always eventually spring to life after a little fooling around—hitting the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob, for example, or walking far enough from the car so its sensors could no longer detect the presence of the fob, or both. "

You know, that's what really love about Jags. They actually have a measure of self respect and therefore make more sense than any car in the world. Jags are unlike Asian cars that are made from a cookie cutter and slavishly start and operate with minimal care or attention, until the day they keel over. Getting a Jag to start dependably requires the proper level of "attention", lest it become terribly anxious and refuse to comply without the requisite foreplay. The solution to this is to anticipate a Jag's personal needs and "fool around" with it before it becomes dejected and refuses to put out. Go figure. Why else would these cars come to us so tarted up in fine leathers and sculpted wood? You like what you see, sailor boy? Then give her a little stroke every now and then. You have to give something if you want some action. What's so hard to figure out?