XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2015 XF Porfolio High Engine Temp

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 XF Porfolio High Engine Temp

I just bought a 2015 XF. And after one day of driving it I started getting two warning messages. High engine temp (yellow) and engine overheating(red) come on and go off after 10-20 seconds. I’m taking it back on Monday to get it checked out but I’m wondering if anyone knows two things.
1. Since these cars don’t have a engine temp gauge if it is really overheating does this message stay on or is it supposed to go on and off?
2.If it is truly overheating and it’s not some false sensor will the power and performance change? Because I don’t notice any change in performance when these messages appear.

I did notice that it first only comes on when I go over 50-60mph. And I also noticed that After I drive it and the warning has come on the coolant level is higher than when the car is off. Does that mean there is an issue and the coolant isn’t circulating?

This is my first Jaguar and I love it but I hope this isn’t a start to a bunch of problems. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-25-2021, 01:44 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by vedp
I just bought a 2015 XF. And after one day of driving it I started getting two warning messages. High engine temp (yellow) and engine overheating(red) come on and go off after 10-20 seconds. I’m taking it back on Monday to get it checked out but I’m wondering if anyone knows two things.
1. Since these cars don’t have a engine temp gauge if it is really overheating does this message stay on or is it supposed to go on and off?
2.If it is truly overheating and it’s not some false sensor will the power and performance change? Because I don’t notice any change in performance when these messages appear.

I did notice that it first only comes on when I go over 50-60mph. And I also noticed that After I drive it and the warning has come on the coolant level is higher than when the car is off. Does that mean there is an issue and the coolant isn’t circulating?

This is my first Jaguar and I love it but I hope this isn’t a start to a bunch of problems. Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Ah... be very cautious. Yes , it may well be a sensor etc but unfortunately there are many sad stories involving coolant system ( there are lots of plastic pipes, yikes !) , overheating, and subsequent very bad news for the engine ! If it were me , I would do what you say , get it checked out ASAP and , no , I don't think it is a false flag. HTH

Last edited by coolabah; 11-25-2021 at 07:43 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-25-2021, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Don't drive it!!! At all

I've not seen issues with false warnings here

And like all aluminium block engines they warp very easily with overheating. You may have already harmed it. I would have it flat beded to someone who knows what they are doing with these cars and have them check it out.

Old 11-25-2021, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Agreed, don't drive it!
My prime suspect is a faulty / not working thermostat, not a huge job to replace with a new one.
There is an easy way to check if the thermostat is no good - remove it from the car, place it in a large saucepan of water (so it is fully immersed), then bring the water to the boil. Just before the water starts to boil the thermostat should open (you can see it move), if it doesn't open by the time the water is boiling then it's kaput.

Old 11-25-2021, 06:00 PM

I’m not going to drive it and take it in on Monday. I’ll have the dealer pick it up because I bought it and it started doing that the very next day. I don’t know why but I even called our local Jaguar dealership and the guy there also told me it’s okay to drive it? It makes no sense. Because when the warning comes on I hear the fan come on and it stays on until the message disappears. I really hope it wasn’t further damaged and they’re able to fix it because I genuinely enjoy driving this car and everything about it.

Old 11-29-2021, 02:18 PM

So I got some news after I took it in this morning. They are replacing the auxiliary water pump. He explained to me that’s what cools the supercharger, replacing the thermostat and also a sensor. So I am hoping this will take care of the problem. Thank you all for the info!