XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2015 XF Wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 XF Wheel bearing

I have a 2015 XF with a failed front wheel bearing. I've been waiting since July of 2021 for a replacement wheel bearing. My car has been undriveable for two months. I was told, by the local Jaguar dealer, that the part would be in early November, but now that it's early November, they don't have anything and they are no longer giving me a date. Has anyone else experienced problems with replacement parts from Jaguar? Are there any other options?

Note that you can't just buy a bearing. It comes as part of an assembly.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

Yes - all manufacturers are having similar challenges with supply availability and logistics if it's overseas. I had to wait several months for rotors (fortunately not urgent for me)

You can get aftermarket ones that seem to work well. Search on here - others have gone that route. Cheaper too
I wouldn't wait for OEM if you can't drive the car...

Old 11-10-2021, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 857 Posts

if it’s rwd the $50 ebay hubs will work

lincoln ls s-type xj xk all the same

Old 11-11-2021, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by xalty
if it’s rwd the $50 ebay hubs will work

lincoln ls s-type xj xk all the same
Unfortunately it's AWD. I'm in Canada and RWD + lots of torque + snow is not the best combination.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,134 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Howard2015XF

Note that you can't just buy a bearing. It comes as part of an assembly.
Jaguar and auto parts stores may only sell it as part of an assembly, but bearings themselves are generally pressed into a hub or carrier of some kind and an ingenious mechanic can figure out a way to press or cut the worn one out. Then find the number on the bearing or measure the specs and order a bearing from online sources. Unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with the AWD assembly, but maybe take the part to a local machine shop and I bet they could fix you up.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:56 AM
Received 269 Likes on 202 Posts

RockAuto say they have Timken front hub/bearing assemblies for $162 Canadian plus shipping. You can also go cheaper if you wish.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,464 Likes on 1,958 Posts

I can't believe you've had the car off the road since July when parts like this are all over the internet ! Obviously it's not your daily driver.

Edit
Apologies. It seems the AWD front hub is much less common. SNG Barratt have it as part of the suspension upright at an eye-watering £580 !!! I suspect, if one can get the bearings, that it should be possible to replace them, but can one get the grease seals as well ?

Old 11-12-2021, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I can't believe you've had the car off the road since July when parts like this are all over the internet ! Obviously it's not your daily driver.

Edit
Apologies. It seems the AWD front hub is much less common. SNG Barratt have it as part of the suspension upright at an eye-watering £580 !!! I suspect, if one can get the bearings, that it should be possible to replace them, but can one get the grease seals as well ?
It was my daily ride! I have been trying to get the bearing fixed for longer than I've been unable to drive the car. It was in the last weeks of it's warrantee when I decided I could no longer drive it. There are just some sounds a car should not make. I thought I was off waranttee so finding out I'm still in warranted was a pleasant surprise. The dealership has provided me with a car to drive while I wait for the part. A Chevy spark. Google it. You could not find a car as different from an XF. I do have to say that I am very impressed with how driveable and spacious this car is, but it's snow season and I don't expect the skateboard sized wheels are going to be a match for the weather.

Yes, the price you mention is in line with the quotes I've been given for the part. You get a whole bunch of suspension parts for free with every wheel bearing. I suspect that the problem is the dealer will only use "genuine Jaguar" parts.

BTW the XF is really good in snow with AWD (especially if you remember to press the "snow" button). It will easily go through snow drifts that completely stop my wife's 4WD Ford Escape.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,464 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Well, let me say how relieved I am that you are "in warranty". This will take a lot of weight off your shoulders, I'm sure. Of course it doesn't actually get the car fixed ! If the car is being dealt with by the Jaguar main agent, then, yes, the dealer will use "genuine Jaguar" parts. What is not clear is whether the suspension upright is peculiar to the AWD car or not. The hubs are obviously different because they have to take a drive shaft. The non-AWD hubs are secured at the rear of the upright by four bolts, and are also notorious for corrosion making them very difficult to remove from the alloy upright.
A quick sprint round the internet came up with this: -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224482855...RoC9HcQAvD_BwE
Obviously about half the price of the SNG Barratt offer, but that includes the upright, whereas here its just the hub, and it looks like it is secured the same way as the non-AWD hubs. Clearly it would be stupid of Jaguar to have to produce totally separate uprights for AWD cars, and I suspect they haven't. It looks like just the hub is redesigned to take a driveshaft.