XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2015 XFR-S Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 04:26 PM
Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Default 2015 XFR-S Apple CarPlay

So another update on my XFR-S... with all the time on my hand starting back in mid March, I started researching what it would take to install Apple CarPlay into our older generation XF's. My wife owns a 2017 F-Pace S, and she benefited from the free software upgrade that enabled the Apple CarPlay feature on her car, unfortunately on the older models pre-2016 I was not so lucky. My other car (winter vehicle) which is a 2016 Golf R also has Apple CarPlay, and once you get used to having this convenience in a car's infotainment, it becomes tough to adjust to the older systems.

My search led me to a fellow Jaguar Forums Member (and Moderator), Cambo, who has been a great source of information for all Jaguar Models. I ordered the system from him, he has a couple of different options. The one I opted for, comes with two modules, and a slew of different wiring harnesses, the system is pretty much plug and play. Cambo was helpful enough send through all the instructions on how to disassemble the car's dash.

I wish I had taken more pictures, but I took a few.

Early picture during disassembly

Early Picture during disassembly, from a different angle

Dash completely taken apart, modules plugged in, testing functionality before putting the car back together

All put back together, and starting up

Apple CarPlay functions as expected

Close up picture

This will definitely make driving the car more enjoyable, as I usually drive with Waze open, and previously I would have that playing off my phone screen, and used a magnetic holder to hold it underneath the infotainment screen, wasn't really ideal. Now Waze will be on the infotainment screen, and I can truly have less distracted driving, by not having to look at two different screens.

I highly recommend this upgrade, it truly modernizes what is otherwise a dated infotainment system.

The following 2 users liked this post by H.Jones:
Jaaaggg (11-10-2021), Swilmer52 (07-13-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 327 Posts

nice job ...do you have a link for the unit

Old 07-12-2020, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

Looks terrific. Couple of questions
- does it connect to the phone by usb cable or is it via bluetooth? We have it on the Land Rover and it's only via cable (maybe thats always the case?)
- is it updatable (Eg if CarPlay develops new features etc is there a way to update the software)?
- which X250 models does it work in? Mine is the 2010 with B&W sound

Old 07-12-2020, 09:48 PM
Received 4,467 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis black
nice job ...do you have a link for the unit
That would be me

Originally Posted by BritCars
Looks terrific. Couple of questions
- does it connect to the phone by usb cable or is it via bluetooth? We have it on the Land Rover and it's only via cable (maybe thats always the case?)
There are wireless options for CarPlay, however my experience with them has not been great. The connections are both bluetooth and WiFi together, but only the bluetooth is paired via password, the WiFi connection is meant to be automatic, but i've found that the iPhones are too clever for their own good, and if it's already connected to a WiFi network with internet access, it won't always jump onto the CarPlay WiFi automatically, so you need to manually go into the phone settings, disconnect all other WiFi networks, then manually connect, which kind of defeats the purpose of wireless convenience. With the USB you just plug in and away you go... the audio quality isn't great wireless either.

- is it updatable (Eg if CarPlay develops new features etc is there a way to update the software)?
Yep. For example when iOS 13 came out, it was a major update for CarPlay, a lot of older units needed to be updated for iOS 13, this update was done via USB stick.

- which X250 models does it work in? Mine is the 2010 with B&W sound
The early X250 up to 2011MY uses a different kit, the same one as for the X150 XK/XKR. But they are available, I've got one in my XKR, and done a lot of other XK/XKR too.

I'm installing these kits locally (in Australia), if someone from the forum elsewhere in the world wants one, I can help you out, they are not the cheapest ones out there though.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

How can I order from you and does it have hdmi input

Old 07-13-2020, 11:04 AM
Received 501 Likes on 317 Posts

i too would be very interested,

please message me with price, and postage to UK

cheers

BB

Old 07-13-2020, 01:33 PM
Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow, im also interested in this but with android auto. How much would it be shipped to V3l4t8 canada.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:20 PM

How can I order from you and does it have hdmi input
I will send you a PM.

The Video Interface Module has an HDMI input but it is occupied by the Phone Interface Module, so there are no "spare" HDMI inputs, but there are a couple of spare CVBS/RCA video inputs.

The kit is two modules; Video Interface which provides the video & touch integration; Phone Interface which provides the Apple CarPlay & Android Auto.

In the 2012-2015 XF the CarPlay & Android Auto is accessed via the NAV menu, you lose the factory navigation, but you get Apple CarPlay & Android Auto in it's place.

Originally Posted by Brake buster
i too would be very interested,

please message me with price, and postage to UK

cheers

BB
Will do, but for which car?

Originally Posted by Zamir Chatur
Wow, im also interested in this but with android auto. How much would it be shipped to V3l4t8 canada.
Will send you a PM too.

Cheers.

Last edited by Cambo; 07-13-2020 at 05:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chris Hawkins (07-19-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
I will send you a PM.

The Video Interface Module has an HDMI input but it is occupied by the Phone Interface Module, so there are no "spare" HDMI inputs, but there are a couple of spare CVBS/RCA video inputs.

The kit is two modules; Video Interface which provides the video & touch integration; Phone Interface which provides the Apple CarPlay & Android Auto.

In the 2012-2015 XF the CarPlay & Android Auto is accessed via the NAV menu, you lose the factory navigation, but you get Apple CarPlay & Android Auto in it's place.

Will do, but for which car?

Will send you a PM too.

Cheers.
I'm so glad you're responding to these questions, since you're so much better equipped to answer them

Best I could do is, the system works with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Old 07-14-2020, 12:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I will send you a PM.

Hello Cambo,

Well done! I expect this kit will make many drivers happy. I, too, am interested in CarPlay for a 2011 XF 5.0. It’s a Korean market delivered car and differs in the navigation set up. It might need explaining with pics and a short video. It will probably be easier over email or iMesssge. Could you please PM an email or iPhone number?

Many thanks

Old 07-14-2020, 07:47 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I like, very much, well done. SO this is just a module that plugs into the current head unit? Does revers sensing and camera still work?

Old 07-15-2020, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jssaab
I like, very much, well done. SO this is just a module that plugs into the current head unit? Does revers sensing and camera still work?
Everything factory still works as it always has. The only thing you lose is the factory navigation, but you gain so much more

Cambo (07-15-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will send you a PM too.

Cheers.
Cambo, can you drop me a message please about this unit. Its for a UK XFR, its a late 2011 registered vehicle, but is the newer facelift shape with the slight newer looking graphics on the screen. In brand new to jaguar land, so not sure which of these details are important and have been tearing my hair out trying to find a Carplay solution thats for my vehicle, nothing ive found so far looks like it fits

Signed up to the forum just to message you, but i dont seem to be able too, i suspect new members cant send PM's maybe?

Old 07-20-2020, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

do you have a video of it working, before spending

Old 07-20-2020, 08:45 PM

I don't have a video of an XF, maybe H.Jones could make one.

But here is the same kit working in a Range Rover, which is more or less the same infotainment system as the 2013-2015 XF.

Puntoboy (09-02-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

boy it would be nice to see one in a xf ,theres no videos

Old 07-23-2020, 06:40 PM

boy it would be nice to see one in a xf ,theres no videos
I'll try to get a video of it working in my XF, if I have time over this coming weekend.

Not sure what you're going to see that isn't already clear from the pictures (of my XF during install and it working after), and the video showing how it works in another Range Rover. Apple CarPlay is universal, its not like its going to operate differently from one car to the next.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for doing that for us

Old 01-27-2021, 10:08 AM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Hope this isn't a dumb question. I read that I'll loose the original NAV, which is no big deal. What happens when you push the PHONE, NAV, and MENU buttons after install?

Last edited by tapau; 01-27-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your Apple carply becomes not working? then you could use this third-party ios system recovery tool to fix the iOS without data loss. Or you can check out How to Fix Apple Carply Not Working for more detailed methods.

Quick Reply: 2015 XFR-S Apple CarPlay