XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2021 Sat Nav Upgrades for Early XF - Australia

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 06:22 AM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Smile 2021 Sat Nav Upgrades for Early XF - Australia

For all the Australian members I've seen a number of threads about members wanting to get the latest 2021 DVD for your XF/XK.

I've just brought the latest 2021 (edition27) disc online from a Sydney based company called Navigation Australia. I saw a few online reviews from people saying to be extremely wary. I can understand that as the actual website was not that customer friendly and the way they wanted to progress the payment also appeared a bit dodgy. But given my XF is a 2008 and the options for upgrading are limited and potentially costly, I thought I'd risk the payment of $AU200 and basically take a chance.
The transaction process was rather clunky and the website had no phone numbers for enquiries etc but I decided to persevere.

There was no parcel tracking so I though oh well. Low and behold 10 days later the disc arrived in a padded post pack. I changed the disc over and it immediately started to work. I loaded in a couple of destination trips that I knew were very new developments and the destinations worked fine. Last Sunday I did a short trip to check out a portion of the freeway that has only recently had major changes made to the road network and it worked perfectly. I was also impressed that a new system of numbering off ramps for these new works was also appearing on the screen.

So my advice to XF/XK owners in Australia is to consider using the Navigation Australia product. I have no affiliation or association with the firm concerned.

Graeme

Old 09-08-2021, 01:53 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you very much this is great info.My XF is the same age as yours with the original maps- I see that there is also the option of 2020 maps for even less cost...not sure which to go for but good price either way.

The following users liked this post:
GeeVeeXF (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 02:12 AM

Howdy Coolabah,

Thanks for the thanks!!! Whilst a bit more pricey, I would if you afford it go for the latest 2021 version. As an example I have in the 13 years I've owned my XF upgraded the sat nav disc twice (2014 and 2017. I can recall seeing the advertising blurb about the number and scale of the changes made such as new roads or upgraded POI etc. Honestly the difference in 6 year, 3 year and now 4-year gaps is staggering, especially given that Australia is a rapidly growing country. I almost exclusively use my XF for ultra long country and interstate road trips Being able to take advantage of freeway bypasses and new connecting roads in outer areas and even in regional areas has been amaxing each time I've upgraded. Last year I did a trip to from Melbourne to Bathurst NSW. What was once a dirt road connecting Goulburn across the Blue Mountains to Bathurst is now a very enjoyable bitumen sealed road and reduced my journey time (even though I wasn't in a rush) by over 2 hours!!! In your case I think you'll be truly amazed given that you've never had an upgrade. But if you can't get the 2021 disc, I think you'll still be impressed with the 2020 update.

Happy XF motoring!!!

Graeme

Having a brief stop on my last 2,100 km drive to the Darling River in northern NSW from Melbourne Victoria.

Old 04-16-2022, 03:06 AM

Hi Everyone,

Recently I was private messaged from a fellow member to ask me if I had any problems with the 2021 Sat Nav Update disc I got last year. I have to say its worked perfectly, to the extent that I took the plunge and purchased the 2022 (Update number 28). The orderfeing process that I outlined above hasn't changes but I was pleasantly surprised that the new disc arrived much more quickly. I had no problems changing the discs out and tested how good the update by firstly selecting a street in Inner Melbourne that had been changed from a through road to a cul de sac which came up on the system and further on a 960km drive into far north-western Victoria. What I have noticed about the 2022 edition is that many more rural roads are now actually marked with the street name. Previous versions and I think this was a genuine feature to avoid clutter and confusion rstricted the number of roads actually being named.

With my Jag also having apple car player I also have access to on line mapping apps but what has happened previosly and even yesterday is that if you lose phone coverage you can lose maps and so I see it as a huge advantage in using the in car system even if it doesn't feature the various traffic alerts etc.

The following users liked this post:
POD XF (04-16-2022)
Old 11-21-2023, 11:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sadly its a fake

Be careful with navigationAU

you wont be able to find some modern streets post 2018

Upon some searching around , a lot of complaints about NavigationAU using old map versions, editing the 'version' file on the disc to show a later version number - when in fact the map data has not changed since like 2014-15

Jaguar /tomtom didnt make anything past 24 version. Yours will in fact be 2014 maps, with a 'renamed' version number to reflect it being newer - when it isnt. Search some streets introduced in say, 2019 - youll see.

Originally Posted by GeeVeeXF
Hi Everyone,

Recently I was private messaged from a fellow member to ask me if I had any problems with the 2021 Sat Nav Update disc I got last year. I have to say its worked perfectly, to the extent that I took the plunge and purchased the 2022 (Update number 28). The orderfeing process that I outlined above hasn't changes but I was pleasantly surprised that the new disc arrived much more quickly. I had no problems changing the discs out and tested how good the update by firstly selecting a street in Inner Melbourne that had been changed from a through road to a cul de sac which came up on the system and further on a 960km drive into far north-western Victoria. What I have noticed about the 2022 edition is that many more rural roads are now actually marked with the street name. Previous versions and I think this was a genuine feature to avoid clutter and confusion rstricted the number of roads actually being named.

With my Jag also having apple car player I also have access to on line mapping apps but what has happened previosly and even yesterday is that if you lose phone coverage you can lose maps and so I see it as a huge advantage in using the in car system even if it doesn't feature the various traffic alerts etc.

Old 11-30-2023, 04:04 AM

Thanks for that. How incredibly disappointing. I've reported the company in New South Wales to the NSW Department of consumer affairs.

Having said that whilst I'm a complete luddite when it coms to technology, I'm somewhat surprised that given there are so many cars of all makes of my vintage and newer that run DVD sat nav systems that someone hasn't developed a way of using the mapping data source to then develop new disc upgrades. I really don't mind spending a couple of hundered dollars every couple of years to get an update. Obviously you can tell I have no idea whats involved but there must be tech savy people who know how to do this and operate a nice little sideline. Whilst I have upgraded my 2008 XF to operate Apple Car play and can therefore access google maps, apple, waze etc you need a phone signal and there are huge areas across Australia that have no mobile (cell) phone coverage including areas on the fringe of large cities and this is where the DVD based Sat Nav system is a real bonus. Similarly with music streaming. No phone signal then I simply revert to the EOEM CD player!!!