XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2023 Sat Nav DVD Disc Update - 2008 XF

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 11:34 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 2023 Sat Nav DVD Disc Update - 2008 XF

Greetings both a comment and Question

As members with older XF's like mine which I've had since new know, Jaguar ceased providing Sat Nav DVD disc updates sometime ago. Two years ago I managed to discover a supplier in Sydney, Australia who was able to provide updated discs. I was a bit unsure initially if getting an after market disc was going to be successful but I really had no option and after paying for the 2021 disc and it working absolutely perfectly and me programming a host of addresses for new suburbs etc I was impressed. Today I received Update no 29 which is the 2023 release. Installed perfectly, did some tests to see if the updates covered changes that I knew were very recent and which appeared when I planned a trip with waypoints etc. So comment from me is I'm extremely happy.

My Question

Whilst I ordered it from a supplier in Australia, I noticed on the post pak that the disc had come from a UK supplier - Visuan Limited from Guildford UK and the company is a software provider. None of that worries me in the slightest. What I'd like to know as I'm a techno luddite is how they are able to create in perfect Jaguar format a Sat Nav disc for Australia. I'm only guessing that they have discovered a compatible format and then loaded in the Australian content (where would they get that)?

The reason I'm both impressed and curious is that whilst I've upgraded my flawless 2008 XF with Apple Car play etc and therefore have access to Apple maps, Google Maps, Waze and Sygis, the situation is that veing such a vast country mobile phone coverage can be extremely patchy and even non-existant. I purely for the enjoyment of driving my beautiful Jag frequently undertake ultra long 3,000 and 5,000km trips are able to revert to the factory fitted Sat Nav system with the latest network updates gives me the best of everything in the same way that I can change across to the CD stacker and listen to music until I pick up mobile phone coverage again and revert back to music apps.

Very keen to understand

Thanks GeeVee XF Melbourne

Old 05-21-2023, 07:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Australian Map Update

Hi,

I'd love to know where you were able to get the update from (I'm looking for an Australian update as well). I've been keeping an eye on the Navman shop and they don't seem to be functional at all.
I think I'm looking for the USB version (2014) , not really sure, hoping I could find a distributor that could help.

Best Regards

Old 05-21-2023, 07:33 PM
Received 182 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mderrett
Hi,

I'd love to know where you were able to get the update from (I'm looking for an Australian update as well). I've been keeping an eye on the Navman shop and they don't seem to be functional at all.
I think I'm looking for the USB version (2014) , not really sure, hoping I could find a distributor that could help.

Best Regards
Have you tried this mob? https://www.navigationau.com/jaguar.html
The website looks a bit dodgy but I and others have used their updates with success.

The following users liked this post:
GeeVeeXF (05-24-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 10:31 PM

Thanks POD XF.

Here is a copy of what they list for Jaguar."The following map updates are Suitable for:
  • S-Type - All Models C1
  • X- Type - All Models C1
  • XJ - 2003 - 2009 C1
  • XK - 2006 Models and Onwards C2
  • XF 2008 - 2011 C2
  • XJ-2010 and onwards
  • XF-2012 and onwards
  • F-Type-2014 and onwards
Trust that helps Mderret

Old 05-24-2023, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by mderrett
Hi,

Best Regards
As suggested go to the Navigation Australia website. I've had three successful update discs now including the 2023 update just received. Working perfectly.

Old 11-21-2023, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful with navigationAU

Id bet you any money you wont be able to find some modern streets post 2018

Upon some searching around , a lot of complaints about that place using old map versions, editing the 'version' file on the disc to show a later version number - when in fact the map data has not changed since like 2014-15

The following users liked this post:
GeeVeeXF (11-23-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 03:18 PM

Thanks Cheqm8,

It is really disappointing to learn this even though as I said previously the updates I had seemed to cover a lot of changes but I certainly don't dispute what you're advising as I am a techno luddite. I am somewhat surprised that someone hasn't established a reputable business for upgrading Sat Nav data for disc units as I see hundreds of really well looked after cars that are of an age as my 2008 XF such as BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc that you think would be in total a fairly large market to produce updates even if they were less frequent say bi-annually. I'm guessing the mapping data is drawn from a single sourse and then applied to the particular format/design for each car make.
Whilst I have upgraded my system to Apple Car Play and hence can use Google, Apple Waze etc the reality is they only work if your mobile phone has coverage and in Australia thats problematic even on the fringes of major cities never mind if you're travelling more remotely.

Less than two weeks ago I was up in northern Victoria on the border with South Australia and there was no phone signal so I reverted to the OEM Sat Nav and it worked perfectly. I haven't checked other car forums with much larger vehicle numbers to see if there is someone who specializes in DVD upgrades for older models. Certainly just doing a Google search hasn't been successful. Are there any techno people out there with thoughts/comments