XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

3.0 x-pipe inlet diameter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 3.0 x-pipe inlet diameter?

Can anyone confirm the x pipe inlet/outlet sizes needed for the 3.0 S/C?
I did a rough measurement on the OD of the pipe that used to lead into my resonators and it looks like 2 1/8" OD? I see some x pipes with 2 1/8 ID inlets, but just wanted to confirm before ordering. I have replaced the two long tube resonators with straight pipe previously, but I want to to be able to try the x pipe without welding in place to see if I liked the results first. So slip on and clamp seemed easy, if i get the correct size of course, and I can't find anything that confirms the exhaust pipe size for the XF 3.0 SC.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 PM

So in case anyone with a 3.0 is needing to know...2.25 inlet/outlet xpipe fits fine.
the center muffler clamps put up a good fight to the point where cutting them off was necessary. No other issues.
With oem back boxes and only the long tube resonators removed, I noticed a bit more volume, no discernible tone change. With both mid muffler and resonators deleted I do not notice much more of a difference. Maybe a slight rasp if getting on it from a stop, but no drone, no power change either way,or anything immensely different. I will open it up on the way home to see if that changes anything.

with only long resonators deleted

mid muffler and tube resonators gone, x pipe on

Old 11-16-2017, 09:12 AM

Well, sad to say that project was a bust. I achieved a little volume increase and tone depth, but a very nasty, tinny, rasp when getting on the gas heavily. If I stay conservative, it doesn't seem to be a problem, but when it's there it's not a pleasant sound at all.

I know I need to add some resonators back inline to take out the tinny sound. I was wondering if anyone had luck using thrush glasspacks or similar as a way to take out the rasp but still leave a little more volume above the standard resonator?

Old 11-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VPinGA
Well, sad to say that project was a bust. I achieved a little volume increase and tone depth, but a very nasty, tinny, rasp when getting on the gas heavily. If I stay conservative, it doesn't seem to be a problem, but when it's there it's not a pleasant sound at all.

I know I need to add some resonators back inline to take out the tinny sound. I was wondering if anyone had luck using thrush glasspacks or similar as a way to take out the rasp but still leave a little more volume above the standard resonator?
I know my vehicle is a V8 but it should sound the way you want it. All growl no rasp. My setup now is High flow cats, then straight pipes all the way to spires stage 2. And by the way check your PM I sent you something on there

Old 11-16-2017, 01:36 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

But to answer you question I would not go more than 2.5 inches inlet /outlet. Plenty of flow without loosing pressure.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever figure out your exhaust? I was considering doing a similar setup to yours as far as removing the first muffler, both resonators and installing an X-pipe.

Thanks.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

VP,
I just replace 4 of 7 mufflers on my XK8, and got a great sound. I used a local muffler shop here in S.W. Fla. Independent muffler shop are a good source of information if you haven't gotten the sound you want at this time. Just saw this post. Might try a couple of 'Cherry Bombs'? Look for P.M.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:00 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Post is 2 years old, I was checking it because its a 3.0 like mine. Any 8 is easy to manage. I've been playing with mine and on my 3rd muffler set up right now

Old 04-17-2023, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jssaab
Post is 2 years old, I was checking it because its a 3.0 like mine. Any 8 is easy to manage. I've been playing with mine and on my 3rd muffler set up right now
Any updates? Trying to figure out what I want to do to my 3.0SC