XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

4.2 water pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts
Default 4.2 water pump

I'm a little confused, and am looking for some guidance. I've been reading the discussions on water pumps, but never seem to see one that deals with what I'm driving. We have a 2009 XF, with the 4.2 liter, non-supercharged V-8. The car currently has 32,500 miles, and the coolant has been changed twice.

Coming from a long GM heritage, I find it rather insane that a modern automobile should have water pump problems A) on a regular basis; and B) at under 100,000 miles. I've never had to change a water pump on any of the GM cars or trucks I've owned. HOWEVER, all of the discussions I see on this site, seem to talk about supercharger cars.

Is this water pump issue something that's common to the 4.2 liter engines, and if so, is it limited to the supercharged cars? Having said that, what REALLY concerns me, on an 8+ year old car, is the condition of the "bundle of snakes", AKA the coolant hoses........

Old 11-03-2017, 05:32 PM
Received 2,626 Likes on 1,810 Posts

The AJ34 fitted to the X250 does not have an issue with water pump failure.

Whenever the coolant is changed, the water outlet should also be replaced as it can only go through so many hot and cold cycles before leaking. The part comes with a new thermostat fitted and the part number is AJ811793.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Just to clarify AJ34 is the 4.2 liter engine that you have. That doesn’t appear to have water pump issues. The 5.0l water pump is the problem. Both on supercharged and non supercharged models. On both Jag and Land Rover vehicles using the 5.0 V8 engine.

It’s nothing to do with old or modern cars and it’s not meant to be a part that needs replacement. By all accounts it was just a bad product. They have apparently got a better replacement that shouldn’t have issues now. But certainly a hassle

If you take it to dealer for annual service they can often hear it rattling before it leaks and replace it. They caught and replaced on both of mine before any issues

Agree with the post above - the extensive use of plastic pipes, couplers etc in the cooling system is a design choice and in my view a cheap and poor design for reliable long term operations

Old 11-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NBCat

Whenever the coolant is changed, the water outlet should also be replaced as it can only go through so many hot and cold cycles before leaking. The part comes with a new thermostat fitted and the part number is AJ811793.

That's good news, on one hand, as I don't think a car should need it's water pump changed for a LONG time. However, while I understand your feelings about the plastic parts not lasting all that long, I looked up that part, and it goes for $180-190, on several different part suppliers' websites.

That's a LOT of money, for something that might be considered a "consumable" part. Especially when it appears that there's at least another $300, or so, worth of other coolant hoses in the system. As I mentioned before, I was brought up on GM cars that used a $10-12 upper radiator hose, a $16-18 lower radiator hose, along with $8-10 worth of 5/8" and 3/4" bulk heater hose.

(and I thought the "Corvette Tax" was bad!!!)

Old 11-05-2017, 02:39 PM
Received 2,626 Likes on 1,810 Posts

You cannot compare the price of General Motors' vehicles' parts to any luxury brand such as Jaguar.

The number of vehicles produced is quite different and thus the number of spares that need to be manufactured and placed in inventory is quite different. The manufacturing cost is not spread out across nearly as many vehicles, so the cost per unit is going to be higher. A price of 180$US is not unreasonable for the water outlet pipe containing the thermostat as well. SNG Barratt, one of the forum vendors, has the part for 134$US exclusive of tax and shipping.

Of course you could also just continue to use the vehicle until the part fails and replace it at that time, which is quite risky.

The following users liked this post:
SNG Barratt USA (11-09-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

+1

or just buy a GM car.

The following users liked this post:
Swimref (11-05-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member

........Of course you could also just continue to use the vehicle until the part fails and replace it at that time, which is quite risky.

I agree, and since I don't like to take risks, which could leave me stranded, I generally have an "overkill" mind set, when it comes to vehicular maintenance. However, as we all (should) know, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. While this plastic piece that attaches to the front of the engine might be a known weak spot in the cooling system, replacing just it, and leaving all the other components in place, may not be the best of ideas, either.

I've looked at the various parts diagrams that have been posted, both on this website, as well as some of the vendors' websites. What I've found is that the cooling hoses are both numerous, as well as pricey. I could see replacing all of them, costing somewhere in the $400-500 neighborhood, plus my time and efforts.

On the other hand, when I had the car in for a cooling system flush/refill, this past summer, I was talking with the tech that was doing the work, and specifically asked him about the expected life of the cooling hoses. He told me that they rarely see any cars in for issues involving them. Given the lateness of the season, as well as other more pressing issues right now, I think I'll keep my fingers crossed, and put this off until next spring.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'm a little confused, and am looking for some guidance. I've been reading the discussions on water pumps, but never seem to see one that deals with what I'm driving. We have a 2009 XF, with the 4.2 liter, non-supercharged V-8. The car currently has 32,500 miles, and the coolant has been changed twice.

Coming from a long GM heritage, I find it rather insane that a modern automobile should have water pump problems A) on a regular basis; and B) at under 100,000 miles. I've never had to change a water pump on any of the GM cars or trucks I've owned. HOWEVER, all of the discussions I see on this site, seem to talk about supercharger cars.

Is this water pump issue something that's common to the 4.2 liter engines, and if so, is it limited to the supercharged cars? Having said that, what REALLY concerns me, on an 8+ year old car, is the condition of the "bundle of snakes", AKA the coolant hoses........
My 09 XF SC, has had a coolant hose crack and replaced in August, and now is in for another coolant hose leak and the water pump is leaking as well. Another $1,200-$1,300, I absolutely hate the coolant hoses on Jags, although my problem could be related to mileage and age. It currently has 115,000 miles.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:47 AM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Not sure I agree there. Mine was replaced at 30K.... 2009 SC