XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

5.0 S/C Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar XF 5.0

Anyone know which way the arrow on the pistons should be pointing on a Jaguar XF 5.0

Old 07-04-2020, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Towards the front of the block.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:01 AM
Default Jaguar XF 5.0

So the arrow on factory pistons on a naturally aspirated should be pointing forward? Is there a way to measure them to make sure because I did mark all connecting rods from the front to back. 1 being the front and 8 being on the rear and the arrow is pointing to the rear.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

See following from engine training manual - for both banks "The arrow on the piston crown must face the front of the engine"

Old 07-05-2020, 02:55 PM

Thanks Dave you are a god send for this build

The following users liked this post:
davetibbs (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 06:55 PM
Default Anti-drain valve AJ811497

I was wondering if you could guide me on where they go. Do you know the part number for the gasket for these oilers and do you know what thes other plastic things are and can I get new ones

Old 07-05-2020, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Shaunlacroix
That's the lower timing chain oiler - from memory, it doesn't have a gasket, and just bolts into the end of the windage tray above the fuel pump cam. You can see mine mounted in post #163 of this thread, in the pic showing the aux timing chain fitted.

I don't recognize this part, so I guess it's part of the normally aspirated (as opposed to supercharged) setup?

Old 07-05-2020, 07:20 PM

Could you guide me on where the Anti-drain valves go?

Old 07-05-2020, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Could you guide me on where the Anti-drain valves go?
One in each head, in the top, towards the rear of the engine. You can see them fitted in my heads in post #161.

Last edited by davetibbs; 07-05-2020 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:03 PM
Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs
For future reference, if you set a title on a reply to a thread it's pretty hard to read, but I saw it - exhaust manifold bolts.

I struggled with these too - officially it's a "Polydrive" or a "Ribe" head, but the Ribe bit socket sets I got off Amazon would not fit them - ditto the head bolts. If I remember rightly I found the closest Torx bit that would fit (so I guess T50?) and this worked OK.

Especially with the exhaust manifold bolts they don't need to be that tight so you can probably get away with using a Torx bit. I also bought some standard bolts from Home Depot that had the same thread as the manifold bolts but a bit longer and cut the head off as well as a vertical cut in the remaining shaft with a whiz wheel. That way you have studs you can screw into/out of the head with a stubby flat blade screwdriver, which you can use to center the manifold like the special tool in the workshop manual without having to pay for it.
I know this is old but for future reference the exhaust manifold bolts and main cap bolts are all RIBE M9 and the head bolts are RIBE M12. I got a set of RIBE bits from Amazon and they worked very well.

Last edited by kansanbrit; 07-06-2020 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Photos added
Old 07-06-2020, 02:38 PM

Does anyone know for sure whether the NA and the SC bare blocks are the same? If not, what are the differences? Thanks.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kansanbrit
Does anyone know for sure whether the NA and the SC bare blocks are the same? If not, what are the differences? Thanks.
A definite difference between the engines at least is that the SC engines have oil cooling jets that spray underneath the pistons - these are fed off a common rail running along the center of the block. However, I'm not sure if the threaded holes for the oil cooler jets exist on the NA block and are just plugged, or if they're not drilled/tapped at all. You'd have to get a pic inside an NA block to know for sure, I've only been inside my SC engine

kansanbrit (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 09:05 AM

A definite difference between the engines at least is that the SC engines have oil cooling jets that spray underneath the pistons - these are fed off a common rail running along the center of the block. However, I'm not sure if the threaded holes for the oil cooler jets exist on the NA block and are just plugged, or if they're not drilled/tapped at all. You'd have to get a pic inside an NA block to know for sure, I've only been inside my SC engine
Thanks Dave. Hard to find photos that show that kind of detail. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if they weren't fitted for everyday use in a RR if the NA can do without them.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:56 AM

But when you add to this that these cars do NOT proactively warn you when the oil level drops too low
Dave, just found this info in the technical training manual, don't know whether you had seen it. It sounds as if the oil level should be being continually monitored or that was the plan at least.

Panthro (05-14-2024)
Old 07-09-2020, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I've seen it - it may well have been the plan, as with a lot of things in the manuals (including showing a "Low Oil Pressure" warning in the owner's manual, that apparently has no way of being triggered with the V8 engine) - however, I've never seen any evidence of these messages actually appearing, and it certainly didn't in my car despite the oil level being way below minimum safe level going on how much I drained out, or apparently in any of the other cars this has happened to.

I'm not sure why these messages are listed in the service manual but apparently don't actually appear in reality - if I had to guess, it's for the same reason that you're forced to wait 10 minutes after engine shut-off before you get an oil level reading: with all the oil circulating around the engine it's hard to get an accurate level measurement. They probably found the warnings were too inaccurate and simply disabled them, but aside from going to JLR (who, aware of the issues with spun bearings etc in these engines, might not be so willing to be open about it) it's an answer we may never know.

Panthro (05-14-2024)
Old 07-09-2020, 11:33 AM

Probably correct. I just bought an xfr with a head gasket problem, do you think I will need to take the engine out to fix?

Old 07-09-2020, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kansanbrit
Probably correct. I just bought an xfr with a head gasket problem, do you think I will need to take the engine out to fix?
Hard one to answer, but "maybe".

"Head gasket problem" always sounds like "potential overheating" to me, which could mean that the (aluminum) block is warped, as these engines don't take overheating well. If that's the case, you'd need to have the block out to an engineering shop to see if it can be saved.

However, strictly, you can remove/replace heads and head gasket with the engine in the car.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:55 PM

I'm not sure why these messages are listed in the service manual but apparently don't actually appear in reality - if I had to guess, it's for the same reason that you're forced to wait 10 minutes after engine shut-off before you get an oil level reading: with all the oil circulating around the engine it's hard to get an accurate level measurement. They probably found the warnings were too inaccurate and simply disabled them, but aside from going to JLR (who, aware of the issues with spun bearings etc in these engines, might not be so willing to be open about it) it's an answer we may never know.
Interestingly the messages are all detailed in the owner's manual of the 2010 I just purchased. Are they shown in your manual?

Gus (12-26-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 04:32 AM
Default Did you prime the engine before start up?

Just curious on your start up procedure. I’ve built other engines it was recommended to prime it before starting.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:06 AM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

i think Dave should get a shiny nickel for every view on this thread - would help quite a bit with all the cost he incurred to document and perform the work

The following 2 users liked this post by Adam J:
davetibbs (07-12-2020), Reaxions (04-05-2022)

Quick Reply: 5.0 S/C Engine Rebuild