XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

5.0 Supercharger being replaced, squeaks & other fun stuff....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 05:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5.0 Supercharger being replaced, squeaks & other fun stuff....

So, my 2013 5.0 has been in the shop a week now, this time for a Supercharger replacement, and a coolant leak which was discovered while that work was taking place.

On top of that, my steering column was occasionally shuddering when it would self adjust. There are two noticeable scars on the plastic cowl, one on either side so obviously, something is grating.

I'm also having them look after a rattle that came about when they had the car a couple of months back, and had the side pillar cover and seat belt dissembled, looking for of all things....a rather enormous squeak and grating sound. This was actually resolved by...well here's the service write up.

So before this, lots of rattles, an alignment scheduled before I even got out of the shop the day I purchased it, and of course, paint correction on my dime. Fortunately, the car is under warranty and then CPO warrany, so the fixes have not cost me anything.

I just hit 40k miles on this, and have put just 4k on it since taking delivery. Seems like a lot going on for a supposedly low miles, well maintained CPO vehicle. I have serious doubts around the dealer truly doing due diligence, and suspect they did nothing more than the equivalent of wiping it down and giving it a cursory once over. I've actually involved Jag NA again (First go round was fogged speedo glass which they good willed) and ended up giving me 1k worth of service certificates for the paint correction and detailing I had done.

Love the car, but not overly impressed so far with the amount of time its in the shop. Anyone else have a similar experience?My thought is it largely rests on the dealer, but I am interested to hear others experiences.

Cheers,

Sam

Old 09-18-2016, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Mine spent a lot of time in the dealer when I first got it. The person who had it before me didn't take care of ANYTHING that was amiss with the car. It's like they were deaf and wore a snowsuit and gloves, so there was no feeling from the car to them.

After I got it, I made sure everything that was not right was replaced or repaired. Since the initial run (it had 34K mi) it's been very reliable beyond a few simple fixes or things I caused. It probably helped that I must have read 1200 threads in about 3 weeks to make sure I knew everything that could possibly go wrong.

I had the rear suspension repaired (I think it was the mount that was making noise), differential replaced, windscreen replaced, dash replaced, sunroof clips replaced, vanity light circuit board replaced.

Later the supercharger coolant pump died, my radio module needed replaced and I killed a half shaft. Not bad over almost 3 years, especially when the extended warranty covered all of it

Old 09-18-2016, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 352 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Mine spent a lot of time in the dealer when I first got it. The person who had it before me didn't take care of ANYTHING that was amiss with the car. It's like they were deaf and wore a snowsuit and gloves, so there was no feeling from the car to them.
My grey Jag was purchased off a lease, and it was the same deal. Literally everything wrong with it was covered under warranty, but they just didn't bother.

Even if it's a lease car, why would you want to drive around with broken things like a sun roof that isn't closing properly and letting in wind noise???

Hard to defend the human race...

Old 09-18-2016, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts

Mine had so much done by the previous owner, I think I got the 2.0 version. ALL the major faults (diff, water pump, SC rebuild) had been repaired or replaced. My only major repair has beenot the ACCOUNT condenser, cooling fan and controller. A car definitely not for the faint of heart. All worth it today when a CTSV wagon gave me a fly by on I15, just so. of Victorville and I proceeded to catch and walk him to 4 car lengths before he gave up. The Jag wasn't even breathing hard.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Interesting repair notes?
How can you remove the L/F seat (The driver seat) and then test drive the car?

Does seem like he did good in depth troubleshooting and he did find the noise using the chassis ear. So a successful repair!