XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

5.0L engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts
Default 5.0L engine noise

Try a body shop for the bumper removal. Got mine done in an hour for $75.

The following users liked this post:
Cherry_560sel (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm mostly worried about the paddles for the TPMS modules that are attached to the tray under the bumper. I just got the TPMS module reflashed and I don't want to drive the dam 3.0T loaner again...lol...not that it's a bad car, but it compares more to my Xtype than it does to this 5.0L

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 01-22-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 439 Likes on 388 Posts

Look back about a year ago. A great article about how to install a grill badge using a small piece of plexiglass and a toggle anchor (like for drywall) and putting in a mount without having to remove the bumper. I did it maybe 18months ago - took half an hour in total. And no issues since

RonAsonte12 (05-02-2017)
Old 01-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,371 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Look back about a year ago. A great article about how to install a grill badge using a small piece of plexiglass and a toggle anchor (like for drywall) and putting in a mount without having to remove the bumper. I did it maybe 18months ago - took half an hour in total. And no issues since
Good idea, might work. Just drill a small hole through the centre of the mounting bracket front plate and pass the toggle anchor bolt through the hole, then stick the toggle through the appropriate honeycomb hole in the grille, fasten like you would any toggle bolt (keep tension / pull towards you as you do up the toggle screw), but be careful not to over-tighten as you may pull through the hole or crack the bracket. The only tricky bit I see is you will probably need to chamfer the edge of the central hole in the mounting bracket so you can countersink the toggle screw, otherwise the head of the screw might stick out enough to interfere with the badge itself.
I did this using a piece of 1 mm thick aluminium cut to shape as a mounting plate, but it was tough to chamfer the edge of the hole "just right". Take too much off and the screw/bolt pulls through, not enough and the screw sticks out too far.
Next time around I used black silicon RTV windscreen sealant - fill the appropriate hole in the grille with some, slightly overfill it, press and hold the badge in place for about one minute, dead easy, worked a charm, the badge hasn't budged in 8 months, and sits flat on the grille with no pesky bracket in the way.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Muffler delete and resonator delete went well. Any XF NA owners out there listen carefully. DO THIS NOW. My gas mileage went up by 25%....the sound is pleasantly noticeable in daily commute driving. Not harsh at all...now, if you open her up, it will be loud....but I like that ...thanks to everyone who helped out on this. Awesome advise from senior members! The grill badge is super easy to do. Use the toggle bolt method. It took a little modification, but didn't have to jack with taking the bumper off.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

So it's been a few days since the mods. Gas mileage has held steady. The same trip in this photo used to get 17-18 MPG.his is leaving from home to work in the morning. No traffic , but lots of pesky stop lights.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Ok... Going back to the exhaust pro to have a X pipe built and installed. Should have followed 2010-kyanite-XFR's lead the first time around !!! Oh well....lesson learned. Looking at 200 cell cats now...wow!!! Didn't think they would be that expensive !!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Glad you're getting it sorted. The x-pipe should be an easy install and it will change the sound. I liked it much better.

Replacement cats price and associated emissions issues make them a no go for me in CA. Hard enough getting anything modified to pass here.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

To the OP regarding the Engine noise.

My engine 2012 5.0 at 75000km also sounded like a diesel.

Please see my thread :
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-wrong-145779/

The Jaguar techs didnt find the cause of the noise but they "tested the engine and found low oil pressure" in which JLR approved me of an engine replacement. Noise was gone with the new engine.

Please be advised I know of another person with the same engine ... 2012 XF 5.0L and same noise as mine. He got his belt tensioner replaced which seems to have solved the issue.

My new engine is starting to develop the noise again as I hear it on warm startup idle sometimes. I think its a bad design issue.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member

Lol...so you have the same noise again...only from a new engine...nice. At least it's not bothersome anymore, but I will need to really get used to driving a car that sounds like this. I mean, inside...no noise..outside...sounds like crap. cant even hear the exhaust note clearly because there is such a shitty noise from the engine. other than that, the car runs and drives fine with no issues.

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 02-03-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:46 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hen555
The Jaguar techs didnt find the cause of the noise but they "tested the engine and found low oil pressure" in which JLR approved me of an engine replacement. Noise was gone with the new engine.

Please be advised I know of another person with the same engine ... 2012 XF 5.0L and same noise as mine. He got his belt tensioner replaced which seems to have solved the issue.
I'm wondering if I have something similar going on with mine. I find that my engine has 3 different sounds at idle, and no rhyme or reason as to when they occur. There's the normal idle, which is smooth and quiet inside and out - the way it should be. There's the second idle which has a deep, rhythmic "knock" or "throb" - could be the exhaust throb, but then why isn't it there all the time? You can hear it in and out of the car. The third idle sounds almost like a rattle. Can't really explain it any better, but it almost sounds like it's low on oil even though it isn't. You can hear it inside and out as well.

I just can't think of any mechanical component that would only be intermittently faulty or only sometimes not work as designed. So I'm lost.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 439 Likes on 388 Posts

What vehicle / engine do you have? Quite a few people report rattle at idle from the supercharger - eventually 'sounds like marbles' and needs replacement
Is yours a 5L SC model?

Old 05-03-2017, 08:43 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by cherry_560sel
sorry to revive this old thread...but, my 2011 xf also had me worried. I also would describe it as a "diesel" engine noise. But inside you can't hear it. I was worried about it and the service manager also said it was a normal thing for the 5.0 liter engines. I hope with the exhaust upgrade i am planning i will be able to negate that noise with a pleasant, throaty rumble. Although, to be honest, i haven't seen many youtube post of the xf 5.0l na with exhaust mods. I just find a lot of xfr or xf sc videos. Anyhoo, having read this thread put my mind more at ease, even though i won't be happy until that sound is drowned out.
its normal and noisy. The best exhaust mod i have heard is a customer who just had the rear mufflers deleted and staright piped. Burble athourative, not obnoxious, doesn't become worse on cruise or accel. And cheap

Old 05-06-2017, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by BritCars
What vehicle / engine do you have? Quite a few people report rattle at idle from the supercharger - eventually 'sounds like marbles' and needs replacement
Is yours a 5L SC model?
I have a 2011 XJL Supercharged with the SC 5L. I get the rattle sometimes, but it's intermittent and sometimes isn't there at all.

Brutal, here is a video of the "throb" or "knock" that I get sometimes, as heard from the interior. Any idea what it might be or why it would only occur sometimes?

Old 05-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It could be your supercharger coupler.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

It could be your supercharger coupler, sure. And this is easy to test - it's safe to run the engine without the supercharger belt, as the bypass valve will bleed enough air through to run the engine and rev it a bit (not under load). So the first step should be to remove the supercharger belt. This will allow you to run the engine and see if the noise is gone, and also give the supercharger pulley a turn by hand to see if you can feel/hear any issues.

I have to say the more of these threads I read on this subject about the 5.0 v8 engine which range from an unsatisfactory noise which results in timing gear replacement all the way to outright engine failure like mine, especially in the Range Rover world, makes me think this problem is wider spread than maybe we're prepared to admit. When I bought my car I had the impression the engine was seen as very strong with no real obvious issues, and now I'm wondering if it's not just that people were focusing almost entirely on the fact that the rear diff issues of the 4.2 V8 had been resolved.

MarkN (05-09-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 10:41 AM

Dave, Shadow, thanks for your replies. I just published this post in the XJ forum that my help you understand the whole picture of what I've been hearing and feeling.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...riance-181551/

I had the coupler inspected and they said it was fine - so as stated in the post, I'm lost!