XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

5.0L SC Oil Weight 5w-30 experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Stuart:
You are right about all of that.
It seems many folks have trouble understanding the language of contracts, which a warranty is. Words have meanings, and while a contract can many times be set aside, the average car owner will find the cost of arguing the point in court to be prohibitive. It is much better to just follow what the contract says, in my opinion. Happy suing!

Old 05-13-2016, 01:46 PM
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Your car, your engine, your choice. But if you have engine problems and you're still under warranty, using any oil other than what is specified by Jaguar in the Owner's Handbook can result in your warranty claim being denied. See Regional Coordinator Mikey's Post #8 in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estion-107516/

"Quote:
Originally Posted by chazaroo
here is a extract from the Jaguar training newsletter regarding Castrol. Looks like using anything else could be a warranty problem. Brilliant cash hustle by Jaguar.:

· Stable viscosity for sustainable performance
· Improved engine cleanliness and engine protection
· Better ability to compensate for various driving styles

There are several features your new Jaguar customers should know about:

· The new Castrol oil, SLX Professional 5W-20, is the only oil recommended for the new 5.0L AJ V8 engines
· A service reminder in the Message Center lets the driver know when it's time to change oil
· Service Interval is every 15,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first. It's important that your customers visit your Jaguar dealership yearly for annual service
· The first scheduled maintenance service visit is Complimentary
· Maintenance Interval Message automatically appears when it's time for service
· Checking the oil level is simple using the built-in "digital dipstick" on the car's onboard computer. The new engine does not have a traditional dipstick

The Jaguar/Castrol co-engineered 5.0L engine 5W-20 synthetic motor oil is the only lubricant completely tested to be compatible with Jaguar’s new engine components and other fluids and sealants. No substitutions should be made as the warranty coverage requires the use of the proper Jaguar specified lubricant.

The devil is in the detail. There's a difference between 'specified' and 'recommended'.

Jaguar 'specifies' lubricant that meet WSS M2C925-A and they 'recommend' Castrol brand. You're free to choose whatever brand that meets the spec.

Yes, it's slimy doubletalk."

To me, it makes sense to use only the oil specified by Jaguar. Otherwise, you have no recourse.
I was going to congratulate you on a well written post but then realized that you were (in part) quoting me.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,514 Likes on 3,926 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S

(long post #40, quoted above by Mikey)
Yes but I did ask things (post #39) that you didn't address at all.

I was hoping someone might be kind enough to do so (you or anyone).

Old 05-14-2016, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
I imagine quite a few people are or shortly will be out of warranty for their engine and could care less about CAFE (USA only?) so would probably like to know the engine oil that will best protect their engine. I am guessing that car makers (including Jaguar) don't say, other than a reference to their published spec such as the handbook.

Now, the car makers don't want people suffering early dead engines as that'll kill sales, so the handbook oil spec can't be too bad. (OTOH it may not be the best oil at all.)

I suppose about 8-10 years and 100K miles or so is about the minimum an engine needs to last to keep a car (well, engine) maker out of getting a bad reputation (pick your own # years and miles).

If there's truly a problem with the 5.0 SC engine in this thread, in terms of chain etc, is oil the way to fix it? Does it fix it? Is it the magic Castrol oil Jaguar apparently push & sell? If the fault(s) is/are real were they known about in time for Jaguar to recommend that oil?

Would 5w30 as in this thread be better or worse and why (forgetting warranty, CAFE, etc)?

I'd quite like to know (I'd be more interested still in my car's 4.2 SC engine!) but these may well be the wrong questions and of course oil threads do tend to drift...
So there are a couple of parts to your question. As i understand it and there are certainly dissenting opinions oil has a temperature rating it can protect to. If you go over it you cook your oil and have issues cooling.

In the past big/H.O. engines specified higher viscosity oil for the operating weight. So I run 0w40 in my land rover 4.4 which is similar to the jaguar 4.2.

However the jaguar 5.0L they basically said the engine can only run on one oil regardless of operating conditions (where old engines had a range for diffrent climates and usages).

My original question was asking if anyone ran other oil as the specification of only one light weight oil seems different than normal.

Apparently Jaguar says higher oil weights in the 5.0l will stretch out the chain by putting more pressure on the tensioners as the pickups are only designed for Xw20.

Another issue with the DI engines is the chain wear which plums points out is going to be addressed in an upcoming oil specification.

I have always ran castrol 5w20 in my engine but at 88k i guess it is time to do the chain tensioners and some engine work.

Last edited by Cliff5.0SC; 05-14-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:43 AM
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff5.0SC
So there are a couple of parts to your question. As i understand it and there are certainly dissenting opinions oil has a temperature rating it can protect to. If you go over it you cook your oil and have issues cooling.
Cooling problems/overheating are not a result of cooked oil.

In the past big/H.O. engines specified higher viscosity oil for the operating weight. So I run 0w40 in my land rover 4.4 which is similar to the jaguar 4.2.
Might be true of some engines but certainly not the majority or all engines.

Apparently Jaguar says higher oil weights in the 5.0l will stretch out the chain by putting more pressure on the tensioners as the pickups are only designed for Xw20.
I don't remember any statement by Jaguar saying this.

Another issue with the DI engines is the chain wear which plums points out is going to be addressed in an upcoming oil specification.
He did? AFAIK, the root cause of chain wear as seen on the Jag 5.0 DI engines is still being debated.

The following users liked this post:
(BMW)Doctor (06-09-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I imagine quite a few people are or shortly will be out of warranty for their engine and could care less about CAFE (USA only?) so would probably like to know the engine oil that will best protect their engine. I am guessing that car makers (including Jaguar) don't say, other than a reference to their published spec such as the handbook.

Now, the car makers don't want people suffering early dead engines as that'll kill sales, so the handbook oil spec can't be too bad. (OTOH it may not be the best oil at all.)

I suppose about 8-10 years and 100K miles or so is about the minimum an engine needs to last to keep a car (well, engine) maker out of getting a bad reputation (pick your own # years and miles).

If there's truly a problem with the 5.0 SC engine in this thread, in terms of chain etc, is oil the way to fix it? Does it fix it? Is it the magic Castrol oil Jaguar apparently push & sell? If the fault(s) is/are real were they known about in time for Jaguar to recommend that oil?

Would 5w30 as in this thread be better or worse and why (forgetting warranty, CAFE, etc)?

I'd quite like to know (I'd be more interested still in my car's 4.2 SC engine!) but these may well be the wrong questions and of course oil threads do tend to drift...
sorry to revive a long dead post but I have these same questions. Is there not a single aj133 installed in any vehicle for any purpose in any climate that was ever recommended to be run on 5w30 by JLR?

protection and longevity are my goal.

Old 06-12-2024, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,333 Likes on 1,835 Posts

Not sure what your asking?
Jaguar started out with the 5W20 oil spec and later changed that recommendation to 0W20.
You can run what you like?

See the attached Jaguar Service Compliance Notification. No 5W30 mentioned anywhere?

Attached Files
Old 06-12-2024, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Not sure what your asking?
Jaguar started out with the 5W20 oil spec and later changed that recommendation to 0W20.
You can run what you like?

See the attached Jaguar Service Compliance Notification. No 5W30 mentioned anywhere?

im asking if the 5.0 aj133 was used in the Middle East (very hot) and if it was, did they still recommend 5w20

but yes I’m seeing the spec and deciding to go with the lighter weight oil afterall in hopes that it will presurizr and protect the timing chains quicker.

Old 06-13-2024, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,333 Likes on 1,835 Posts

Yes the 5.0L was sold in the ME for sure. We have a number of members over there with the SC and NA versions.

Just a suggestion? My main complaint is the published long service intervals and I do NOT follow that! As posted by many on this forum I run 6k-8K mile intervals for my oil changes. I do use an oil that meets Jaguar specs too but again we have many that don't. I still think oil changes are the key and NOT what exact oil you use! But again I did change from 5W20 to 0W20 when Jaguar made the change. My 2014 engine's oil cap is marked with 5W20.

One old member was Bigg Will who purchased an 2010 XFR new. As a very early model 5.0L it should have had all the problems we see on the forum. It did and Will was an excellent mechanic and posted many threads with his repairs on the cooling system,plugs and injectors. BUT he used plain old Walmart synthetic oil of the proper weight and changed it every 2K-3K miles! He sold the car with over 100K miles on it and left the forum. The car still had all the original timing gear and had no engine noises!

Just a one off example for sure but still real world experience.