XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

AC Clutch not engaging in my XF 2011 3.0 Petrol

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Clutch not engaging in my XF 2011 3.0 Petrol

Turned on the AC, I am getting hot air from all the vents. As per my mechanic, the compressor has failed since the clutch wont engage. The gauges do not show any reading while performing the pressure point checks. The refrigerant is also, in good quantity inside. Lastly, checked the fuse too & its also not blown. Somehow I can't do computer diagnostics as the port doesn't work in my car

I hope to get some suggestions here from XF owners. Have few questions if anyone could clarify

1. Can i continue driving the XF, with a failed compressor ? I don't know if it would affect the engine, but as per my research if clutch isn't engaging then its just a free wheeling pulley

2. What replacement unit, would you advise ? Some prefer to get from old scrap (from accident hit cars), and others suggesting to get aftermarket compressors like ZRT-UK, made in Taiwan. Neither of them, offer any warranty. I definitely don't want to buy the 'new' expensive Jaguar offering, its a hole in the pocket for me.

3. If anyone had a similar, kindly tell me how you fixed the fault. What all parts did you had to replace, alongside the compressor if needed

Old 08-23-2020, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

I don't believe that the compressor has a clutch. It is a permanently engaged variable displacement unit and has a solenoid valve that is used to regulate refrigerant flow.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:59 AM

Thanks for that, this is how it looks.... I believe the center one is the clutch which should ideally pull inside to start the compressor

Old 08-23-2020, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,365 Likes on 1,863 Posts

No that is just a pulley. If you had a magnetic clutch it would look like this;

See it's much different looking.

One other point? You said the system has no pressure but still has the correct amount of refrigerant in it?
This can't be? If you have no reading on the pressure gauges then the system is empty and you have zero refrigerant left.

If you have no pressure the compressor will NOT come on to save it self from destruction.
What I would do is charge the system and find your leak then repair it.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Also, the solenoid valve contained within the pump that has been mentioned can fail, and this is likely your issue.

See attached TSB for repair instructions.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:32 PM
Red face

Did my car diagnosis (attached is the report), and the HVAC tests got passed. So I assume it may not be an electrical issue

Sorry for sharing the wrong photo earlier, I wasn't quite able to understand the mechanic. But during a second test. I found the refrigerant levels seems adequate. The reading was 200psi at High Pressure Port. So low refrigerant issue is ruled out

200 psi reading

Now as per mechanic, they need to open up and need some detail diagnosis, to conclude what exactly is the issue. I read about the solenoid valve issue too, but afraid if its too early to convey that too the mechanic.

If its a compressor replacement conclusion, I need opinions from the community whether i should go with aftermarket AC Compressors(eg Taiwan, China) or Used AC compressor from Scrap markets. I don't intend too buy original from Jaguar, because of very high costs. Please suggest

Attached Files