XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 11:23 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default AC Compressor

Among the many things going on with my Jag (supercharger bearings, Vapor detection pump failure), I have an AC issue. My indy is telling me that I need a new compressor at the cost of $1300. I've searched the threads but no one has ever had an issue. Perhaps it's a relay or something else. The dealer said that the compressors never fail. It will blow slightly cool air at fwy speeds but nothing else. Any ideas?

Old 08-30-2017, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 363 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcinsd
Among the many things going on with my Jag (supercharger bearings, Vapor detection pump failure), I have an AC issue. My indy is telling me that I need a new compressor at the cost of $1300. I've searched the threads but no one has ever had an issue. Perhaps it's a relay or something else. The dealer said that the compressors never fail. It will blow slightly cool air at fwy speeds but nothing else. Any ideas?
Well, did he explain WHY you need a new compressor? AC is not rocket science, but there are some things that have to happen (proper testing) in order for anyone to make a diagnosis of what you need.
Is there enough R134 in the system? XF's AC condensers are known leakers and without enough R134 pressure in the system the AC compressor will not run.
XF's utilize a clutchless AC compressor, so if he's looking for a magnetic clutch to be cycling due to AC operation IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
Honestly I'd probably go with the dealership on this one, I've priced XF AC compressors, highest $ amout I saw was $400.00, so it sounds like someone is trying to get paid.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:52 AM

Thanks Will. Great feedback! They hooked it up to their AC diagnostic machine and said that the clutch never engaged. When I spoke with the dealer they said that the Jag compressor is unique with many variables (like you mentioned). Im going with the deaker on this one.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 363 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcinsd
Thanks Will. Great feedback! They hooked it up to their AC diagnostic machine and said that the clutch never engaged. When I spoke with the dealer they said that the Jag compressor is unique with many variables (like you mentioned). Im going with the deaker on this one.
More info here
Sanden USA
XF's use the internally controlled PXV16.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:00 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I had the same issue. It ended up being a non-working radiator fan. Start your engine with the a/c on. The electric fan should be on. If not you probably need a new fan assembly.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Polyesterpig
I had the same issue. It ended up being a non-working radiator fan. Start your engine with the a/c on. The electric fan should be on. If not you probably need a new fan assembly.
Yep....that was it! Only $900 for a new fan ....Around $1400 at the dealer... I didn't want to deal with it in this heat.