XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

AC not working when iddle. (Bad smell, fog on windshield when rains, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy AC not working when iddle. (Bad smell, fog on windshield when rains, etc.)

Hello,

Owner of Jaguar XF X250 2010., 3.0 diesel.

Been struggling with this issue for like 2 or 3 years now.

So basically when I start the car (weather is warm/hot or warm and rainy), for like 10-20 seconds bad smell comes out of vents (like dirty socks), and AC starts to work normally only when car is starting to move. That's actually not the biggest trouble.

Worse is, when weather outside is warm and it starts to rain and i'm in some traffic jam or car is just not moving, the windshield and whole car just gets fog on windows and You literally can't see anything. So when I see traffic jams ahead, I just close the vents, and when start to drive, turn them back on again.

Fixes till now, changed AC pump which was pain in the ***, changed the big engine fan as well. And still same issue.

Maybe anyone would have any suggestions on what should i do/check next?

Much apreciated.

Old 08-03-2022, 07:56 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JagJG
Hello,

So basically when I start the car (weather is warm/hot or warm and rainy), for like 10-20 seconds bad smell comes out of vents (like dirty socks), and AC starts to work normally only when car is starting to move. That's actually not the biggest trouble.

Worse is, when weather outside is warm and it starts to rain and i'm in some traffic jam or car is just not moving, the windshield and whole car just gets fog on windows and You literally can't see anything. So when I see traffic jams ahead, I just close the vents, and when start to drive, turn them back on again.

Fixes till now, changed AC pump which was pain in the ***, changed the big engine fan as well. And still same issue.

Much apreciated.
Was it all done proper? Vacuum of system, dryer replaced? Correct r134a by weight? As forever smell, you might want to clean evaporator. They get mold and mildew laden.

The following users liked this post:
JagJG (08-04-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 08:02 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 08-04-2022, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by gumby7734
Was it all done proper? Vacuum of system, dryer replaced? Correct r134a by weight? As forever smell, you might want to clean evaporator. They get mold and mildew laden.
Hmm, we haven't yet changed the dryer, were thinking about this.
And yeah most important issue for me is to fix that fog on windshield when starts to rain and car is idle, that is really pissing me off.

Will talk with my service guy if we could do cleaning and dryer replacement. Thanks a lot for information.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:09 AM

Oh dryer was changed as well fyi. So basically, AC pump, dryer, engine fan.. but issue still persists.
Thinking to get it to official Jag service, but not gonna lie, they often don't understand **** either.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JagJG
Hello,

Much apreciated.
You should check if the cabin filter is dry, I'm sure I've seen a thread about rain leaking into the box containing it.
The following is probably worth a read too https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...94594-1020.pdf