XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Adaptive Headlights Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 02:13 PM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Adaptive Headlights Compatibility

New to the forum here and was wondering if anyone out there knew the answers to a few questions I had concerning an XF that I am currently working on. First a little background: I am fixing up a wrecked 2013 XF with Xenon Headlights(now gone). It has a four cylinder engine. My donor car is a 2012 XF 8 cylinder with Adaptive Headlights.
My questions are:
1. Is it possible to trade out and install the adaptive model headlights from the 2012 directly into the 2013 without any adjustments or alterations(or is it even possible)? I would like to think that they are plug and play but not sure.
2. Is it possible to reuse the unactivated air bag module and good drivers air bag with the 2013 SRS system? In other words, are all of the components mix and match or is there something that was done in the 2013 model that will cause the 2012 module to not recognize or fault when reading the remaining 2013 components, assuming that everything(including the pretensioners) was replaced?
3. Can anyone describe the small radiator that on the passenger side in front of the wheel and its function? Or does it just provide more capacity to the main radiator?

I would appreciate anyone who can answer all or any of these questions. I look forward to driving my lightly used and crashed Jag in short order!

Old 03-16-2016, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 390 Posts

Sounds like an exciting project!
On 3 I believe the small radiators in front of the wheels are engine oil coolers. Not sure if they are on all models or just the SC spec

Good luck with the rebuild - keep us posted on progress

The following users liked this post:
kenbowen (03-26-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,235 Likes on 2,386 Posts

That small radiator is a supplementary engine coolant radiator. For "hot climate" markets, mainly the Middle East, JLR fitted another one on the other side as well, but for some strange reason they decided that Oz is not "hot climate". Where I am in Adelaide we get regular temps of 40C plus in summer, so how is that not "hot climate"?????

kenbowen (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the information on the supplemental radiator. Mine happens to have been on the left side (before it was mangled by the guard rail). My salvage car came from California and since I am in Texas it sounds like I might need to find one to put back in. They are very difficult to locate though. Nothing on Ebay nor any of the other used part sites. Anyone who happens to have a line on one please let me know.

The headlights that came off my 2012 donor car were HID AFS but they are going into a base model 2013 with non AFS. Am I correct in assuming that both models use the same Xenon bulbs but the AFS just has the movable feature? I am really hoping to be able to mount these up in the 2013 as is. I will be sure to post some pictures next time of both sleds!

Old 03-26-2016, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbowen
New to the forum here and was wondering if anyone out there knew the answers to a few questions I had concerning an XF that I am currently working on. First a little background: I am fixing up a wrecked 2013 XF with Xenon Headlights(now gone). It has a four cylinder engine. My donor car is a 2012 XF 8 cylinder with Adaptive Headlights.
My questions are:

2. Is it possible to reuse the unactivated air bag module and good drivers air bag with the 2013 SRS system? In other words, are all of the components mix and match or is there something that was done in the 2013 model that will cause the 2012 module to not recognize or fault when reading the remaining 2013 components, assuming that everything(including the pretensioners) was replaced?

I would appreciate anyone who can answer all or any of these questions. I look forward to driving my lightly used and crashed Jag in short order!
Once the SRS system is reset you should be fine. SRS components usually don't change much if at all from year to year, or with out a major interior change. New Government crash testing would be required when that happens ($$$$$$), So if it looks the same, it probably is.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 03-26-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:19 PM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

My questions are:
1. Is it possible to trade out and install the adaptive model headlights from the 2012 directly into the 2013 without any adjustments or alterations(or is it even possible)? I would like to think that they are plug and play but not sure.
3. Can anyone describe the small radiator that on the passenger side in front of the wheel and its function? Or does it just provide more capacity to the main radiator?

Hi!
1.yes you can install AFS headlights, for activating AFS you'll need to reprogram CCF file and update SW for HCM module.
2. You could install SRS module from 2012MY, and reprogram it.
3. 2.0GTDi models has additional water radiator on right side for all markets.

kenbowen (03-30-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
That small radiator is a supplementary engine coolant radiator. For "hot climate" markets, mainly the Middle East, JLR fitted another one on the other side as well, but for some strange reason they decided that Oz is not "hot climate". Where I am in Adelaide we get regular temps of 40C plus in summer, so how is that not "hot climate"?????
Thanks for the information on the supplemental radiator. Mine happens to have been on the left side (before it was mangled by the guard rail). My salvage car came from California and since I am in Texas it sounds like I might need to find one to put back in. They are very difficult to locate though. Nothing on Ebay nor any of the other used part sites. Anyone who happens to have a line on one please let me know.

The headlights that came off my 2012 donor car were HID AFS but they are going into a base model 2013 with non AFS. Am I correct in assuming that both models use the same Xenon bulbs but the AFS just has the movable feature? I am really hoping to be able to mount these up in the 2013 as is. I will be sure to post some pictures next time of both sleds!
Can you post photos of AFS headlights, the AFS has the additional lamp on outer angles.
Yes the standard and AFS has the same xenon bulbs.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:17 PM

Here are a few pictures of the project and the headlights in question. I have tested the headlights in the non AFS 2013 XF and they function perfectly. I suppose as long as the bulb doesn't move around I should be fine!

These are the two cars that I am rebuilding ...... parts from one and going to the other. Kind of hard to tell the difference at this point! (donor car is on the right)

Dueling Jags

The one that will live again!

From the 2012 with AFS

Old 05-21-2016, 05:39 PM

Now that I finished installing the new supplemental radiator and air dam assembly that I had to purchase from Jaguar I wanted to show several pictures of it for others in case they got into the same situation that I got into. For some crazy reason the documentation is nearly nonexistent for these supplemental units. I even had to press the dealer parts guy to locate what I was even talking about. He acted like he had never heard of one. The plastic air dam comes in two pieces which bolt together and then attach to the radiator unit with another two bolts. Then the entire assembly bolts on the fender support metal with three 10 mm bolts. The unit is fed

from Tee's in the larger hose. These units are very hard to find on the used market and ended up being the only parts I had to buy new.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:27 AM

The additional radiator is the same as on XF 3.0D and 5.0SC, but used ones so rare and cost almost like new ones.

Great job!