XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Adaptive Headlights warning light

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Adaptive Headlights warning light

I have a 2012 XFR, and have had essentially a trouble free 1+ year of ownership, ~18,000kms (or ~11,250 miles). I did experience something, recently...

I was driving on a bitterly cold Calgary morning into work in late December, 2013, when all of a sudden I got a warning lamp going off (it was flashing, not simply on) on my dashboard, it wasn't a light I was familiar with (traction control, low tire pressure, etc...). I pulled over when it was safe, and from when I had noticed the warning light, it was less than 2 minutes. I suspected it had to do with my headlights, so I turned off the lights, turned them on, to no avail.

I switched off the car and reached for the owner's manual and confirmed what the symbol was, and it actually did relate to an Adaptive Headlight Warning/ Fault, and the owner's manual simply says contact the dealership...

I turned on my car and the warning lamp had turned off... Didn't come on for the rest of the drive, in fact it hasn't come on since... but I was still curious so that evening I took to the internet in search of the fault light, and what it meant for other XF owners. Found nothing so I broadened my search to Jaguar owners, and voila, I came across two things...

Video of event:

And another forum that discusses failure:
Adaptive Headlights warning light intermittently coming on

I couldn't find anything documented on this forum, hence this Post

Upon reading what's detailed in the other forum (that I linked above), I contacted my dealer immediately, and they were able to fit me in right away (on Christmas Eve to be exact). I was in there for about 45min, where the service advisor told me that they would be ordering in a new headlight assembly and that I was the first reported failure that he had encountered of this kind...

New headlight assembly is expected to be in by the week of Jan. 20th... I am in for replacement/ service on the 22nd.

Just figured I would post this to see if anyone else with a XF or XFR has experienced this, and if anyone experiences it in the future, they should contact their dealership and have it checked out immediately... like I said, if I hadn't been paying attention I could have missed it and the light has not come on since, which to me is very misleading, if there is a fault with the headlight (or any piece of equpment) I would hope that a warning lamp would come on to notify the owner/ driver....

Old 01-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Adaptive Headlights

Hi H. Jones,

I also own a 2012 XF and several weeks ago I received the same warning light. I shut down the car and went into a store. When I came out I started the car and the adaptive headlight message was gone and had not come back on for about one month. I really thought that it had been a computer glitch but I was wrong.

Shortly afterwards, I received a service required message so I called my dealer and set up an appointment.

The service was just an oil change and a new air filter but I also mentioned a squeaky right side drivers window and the adaptive headlight warning message. After their diagnosis they told me that the window would require a new actuator and that the adaptive headlight warning had stored a code about an electrical fault which would require a new left side headlight assembly. After about a week or so they called to say that parts had arrived so I made an appt. and the work was done. I have not had any problems or warning messages since.

I have 11,000 miles on my car and purchased it about 6 months ago as a CPO vehicle. I was VERY surprised to have had such serious problems on a car that was practically new. I have owned several cars with adaptive lighting and of course power windows. I never had to have any of this work done ever. I have not had any other problems with this car and hope that it continues to provide me with an enjoyable experience. I am truly enjoying the XF.

Regards,

Ed

Old 01-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Default Adaptive Headlight Issues

Hi Folks,

Please see above posting.

I had the exact same symptoms as OP and was told that my left side headlight assembly would need to be replaced. The assembly was replaced and everything was fine for about one month when the same symptoms reappeared with having already had the headlight assembly replaced.

I brought my car back to the dealer who began their diagnosis and guess what????

I was told that the recently replaced headlight assembly was defective and that it would need to again be replaced with a new headlight assembly. This was again on the left side. Parts were ordered and work is supposed to be done tomorrow.

Now.....this will be the third left side headlight assembly needed on a 2012 CPO vehicle which has 13,000 miles on the clock. What are the chances of having TWO defective headlight assemblies? Quite unlikely I think.

The dealer told me that this is very unusual and that they would be notifying the Jaguar tech line to see of there is anything else that can be going on to cause this. My car continues to otherwise function perfectly.

I don't intend to continue replacing my left side headlight assembly every month and I will certainly escalate the resolution of this problem should this third headlight assembly not correct this ongoing problem.

Ed

Old 01-22-2014, 10:44 AM
Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Ed,

That's definetly intersting to see that you have already had your new headlight replaced...

I had mine replaced on Jan. 17, but the car is back today, as they definetly didn't get it alligned properly... I can definetly notice that the adaptive light is now working on the driver's side, which wasn't the case prior to the replacement... and I hope this is it...

I wasn't too worried till I saw your post, so please keep me posted, on how your 2nd headlight holds up...

Thanks

Old 01-30-2014, 10:59 AM

H. Jones,

It has just been a week since my left side headlight assembly was replaced for a second time due to the adaptive headlight error warning. So far so good and I notice that this assembly seems to pivot more than the other two had. Perhaps the part was modified before you had yours done and my second one was done. Need to wait and see!

Ed