XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Adding Dry Gas...Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 09:12 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Adding Dry Gas...Yes or No?

I was at a Shell station today. Started pumping high octane - figured my 2009XF would take maybe 12 gallons, tops. It was about 8 degrees F outside, so I decided to sit in the car as it pumped - very, very slowly. I began to time the rate the gas flowed: 85 seconds per gallon of high octane (includes 10% ethanol). It's usually 5 times this speed.

As the pump went beyond 12 gallons, I jumped out of the car to see what was up since I didn't think it needed that much fuel. What I saw was the pump over-flowing at my tank and probably almost a gallon on the pavement. The auto-shut-off on their pump obviously wasn't working. I replaced the gas pump and quickly moved the car, informing the attendant of the issue. Then I took pictures of the situation.

When I drove away, the car was hesitating upon exiting from the gas station and hesitating sporadically down the road. I drove it 7 miles so far and as I accelerated, it again hesitated and then seems to kick in - creating quite a rough ride, bucking me like a wild horse.

There is no backfiring or code being thrown.

I returned to the station and notified them they may have a big issue, but of course they could give a sh*t about this, blaming the car. Too coincidental and impossible for me to fathom due to the timing of it and how I've maintained the car.

I'm considering trying dry gas - as possibly there was some water in their gas. Wondering what others think about this idea? Car has always ran great previous to this.

Suggestions?

Thank you

Old 01-20-2020, 06:44 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

First of all, NEVER buy gas at that station again. When a gasoline pump is suddenly pumping much slower than usual, it means only one thing - the pump filter is clogged with dirt, sediment, or water which is often a sign of poor maintenance of the underground tank. Whenever this happens, stop the pump immediately - you do not want that crud in your tank or engine. Try another pump if you wish but in all likelihood you are still getting dirty gas at that station. The worst gas is from stations that sell low volume and do not turnover their inventory quickly, no matter what brand is on the sign. Avoid "mom & pop" stations. The best gas, no matter what is on the sign, are the highest volume ones that have the freshest gas (usually delivered one or more times a day) and the best tank maintenance. It may take you a few tankfuls (and maybe a new fuel filter) but you should soon be doing fine.

The following 2 users liked this post by Swimref:
Dallas Rockford (01-22-2020), davetibbs (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 10:24 AM
Default Dry Gas....

I appreciate your reply. Good points....it is a high volume station, Shell gas. I was having a heart attack about this - it's probably very tough to prove.

Good news: I've driven the car about 80 miles since, and while the first 15-20 were rough - it seems to be running as smoothly as it's old self. Reflecting upon this, the LCD screens on the pump are really worn and hard to read. Another indicator that maintenance of equipment is not a priority. I am still hating myself for filling there.

I've always wondered if there is any type of additive that would bring a detergent dynamic to the engine, but have never been sold on the responses out there. After about another 80- miles, I figured I'd get some Exxon/Mobile premium and see if I'm still going in the right direction.

Very scary - thanks again.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:27 AM

I appreciate your reply. Good points....it is a high volume station, Shell gas. I was having a heart attack about this - it's probably very tough to prove.

Good news: I've driven the car about 80 miles since, and while the first 15-20 were rough - it seems to be running as smoothly as it's old self. Reflecting upon this, the LCD screens on the pump are really worn and hard to read. Another indicator that maintenance of equipment is not a priority. I am still hating myself for filling there.

I've always wondered if there is any type of additive that would bring a detergent dynamic to the engine, but have never been sold on the responses out there. After about another 80- miles, I figured I'd get some Exxon/Mobile premium and see if I'm still going in the right direction.

Very scary - thanks again.