XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Adjustable Dampers for the XF

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:40 AM
LED
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable Dampers for the XF

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get a set of adjustable dampers for the XF ?

The ride on my car is too hard and I would like to fit much softer springs and dampers (shock absorbers). I tried a set of 15% softer dampers and springs from Spires but they are still way too hard. If I can find a set of adjustables then I can experiment with softer springs and damper settings until I can get the car to ride and handle properly.

Are the Jaguar CATS dampers an option - are cars with these comfortable or just a little less harsh ?

Old 07-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I am not sure they even make one.

The easiest way to soften up the ride is to decrease the wheel size.

What the size of the current wheels?

Old 07-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Which wheels do you have?

Callum is a fine designer but he has a weakness for oversized wheels requiring hard riding low profile tires. Shame really, that's his only flaw as a car designer.

I think you may have the wrong Jaguar.

The XJ has a miraculous ride. The XF was built for a different customer entirely.

The XF was deliberately tuned to compete with those buckboards from Germany.

It is a mystery why Germans build only incompetently suspended oversteering kidney pulverizers but it is more of a mystery why anyone would want to copy them. But there you go, the best suspension engineers in the World are British and even they were forced to ruin the ride and handling of the Jaguar XF to match the perceived market demands.

Even the rubber isolators are too hard. I don't think you will find a set of springs and shocks to fix your problem. Mike Cross is one of the best suspension engineers not working for Lotus or an F1 team. You won't be able to improve on what he has signed off on.

The CATS system is integrated into the wiring harness. I doubt very much it can be retro fitted. The ride is better but still pretty stiff by Jaguar standards. Usually, adjustable suspension goes from firm to very firm. It is extremely difficult to choose the right springs to cover soft to firm. That is one big advantage of air springs as fitted to the XJ.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Some like the firm ride. What BMW and Audi have done that Jaguar has not, has given the ability to adjust throttle, steering feel and suspension independantlyl of each other to solve the dilemea of those that want firm and those that don't, or only want it some of the time. It was the one concession when I bought my SC that I wished I didn't have to make. Audi has it standard in all of their A6's, and BMW has it also with the option of Active Roll Stabilization.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Audi have terrible ride and truly awful steering. All these adjustments are hopeless because the underlying engineering is just wrong.

BMW use those hopeless runflats. BMW ride too hard and oversteer for no reason.

Jaguar engineers the suspension correctly to begin with so no owner fiddling is required.

Adjustable shoes are as dumb an idea as driver adjustable suspension.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:03 PM
LED
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that I have bought the wrong car - I perceived the Jaguar XF as being comfortable and refined but in reality its brutally harsh - Jaguar could be accused of mis-selling. Anyway I have got one so need to make the best of it.

It has harsh race track style suspension but has dead steering with no feedback (I could maybe forgive the harsh ride if it handled and steered like a Lotus), its so harsh that traction and safety is actually degraded on typical UK roads. I have tried 17" wheels, 15% softer springs/dampers, reducing tyre pressures, padding the drivers seat etc. My thoughts at the moment are to get radical and try something like 50% softer springs and adjustable dampers - I dont think I can make it any worse than it is !

Old 07-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagular
Audi have terrible ride and truly awful steering. All these adjustments are hopeless because the underlying engineering is just wrong.

BMW use those hopeless runflats. BMW ride too hard and oversteer for no reason.

Jaguar engineers the suspension correctly to begin with so no owner fiddling is required.

Adjustable shoes are as dumb an idea as driver adjustable suspension.
I did not find the 2012 Audi A6 ride or steering to be awful.

The runflats are hopeless. The awd bmw 5 series steering (hyrdaulic) was acceptable.

I agree that the Jaguar engineers have the overall package including the suspension correct, so I bought one. When the roads are particulaly bad, or you want to save fuel, the adjustability seemed like a good feature. In the end I felt simpler was better.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LED
I agree that I have bought the wrong car - I perceived the Jaguar XF as being comfortable and refined but in reality its brutally harsh - Jaguar could be accused of mis-selling. Anyway I have got one so need to make the best of it.

It has harsh race track style suspension but has dead steering with no feedback (I could maybe forgive the harsh ride if it handled and steered like a Lotus), its so harsh that traction and safety is actually degraded on typical UK roads. I have tried 17" wheels, 15% softer springs/dampers, reducing tyre pressures, padding the drivers seat etc. My thoughts at the moment are to get radical and try something like 50% softer springs and adjustable dampers - I dont think I can make it any worse than it is !
I am sorry to hear you have that impression of the car. Eveyone has different expectations and subsequent impressions of the same car. I have not driven a diesel, but I thought the NA 2012 was soft with too much body roll. I did multiple test drives over an extended time frame before I made a decision on which car to buy. Time will tell if my expectations and impression of the car hold true. I wish I could offer some suggestions, but you seem to have tried many avenues.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Troll or just hopelessly ignorant. This thread should end.

The XF is one of the best handling sedans (saloons) on the market, especially on British roads. I've ridden in my cousin's 3.0 S portfolio with 20 inch rims, safety is definitely not an issue on any road surface you might encounter in the UK.

The perfect car for this poster would be a 70's vintage Cadillac, break out the gravol though.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you mess with the suspension settings too radically you could wind up with dangerously under sprung car with erratic handling characteristics. Be better to trade it in for something that better fits your ride comfort requirements. Lincoln Town Car comes to mind.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Not sure what you were expecting. I agree a baffed out Cadillac might be in order. I have an SC with 20's and am amazed just how comfortable it is. The big test is my wife who whines about nearly any harsh vehicle dynamic. This is "her" favorite of any of my cars....including BMW, Audi, Acura.

Off topic, but is anyone else bothered by those goofy Acura ads with the Brit driving on a track with a helicopter following....where he is talking about the handling etc?

Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Yes. Me too. Considering that an Acura is just a Honda....

Top Gear allusion. Doesn't work for me. Honda makes nice cars but not for North America. Not since the NSX anyway.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Talking about the AWD powering one side of the car out of a corner. Groan