XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Advice on Buying 2011 XFR

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Advice on Buying 2011 XFR

Hi All -
I have the opportunity to buy a 2011 XFR with 48k on it. I know the owner, and all maintenance has been done. But it will be my daily driver, and i usually put 15k a year on a car, mostly highway. With such a high performance car, amd I going to get killed in maintenance? I am not worried about consumables, I mean with engine and tranny wear and tear.

How many miles should a near supercar like this be good for?

Would appreciate any comments and opinions.
Bruce

Old 06-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 439 Likes on 388 Posts
Default Advice on Buying 2011 XFR

If you can get it for a good price then I'd do it and get an extended warranty. If you needed major work done it can get expensive quickly so warranty will give you peace of mind
Personally I'd take higher mileage but well looked after

Search this forum on extended warranties / several whole threads on the XF board over the past year or so on this topic

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
bmichael (06-13-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so do you think 48k is starting to get high mileage for that car? I was assuming maintained, that it could be managed over 100k. No?

Old 06-13-2015, 10:10 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bmichael
so do you think 48k is starting to get high mileage for that car? I was assuming maintained, that it could be managed over 100k. No?
I bought mine with 42k from a jag dealer and got the cpo warranty no way I would have touched it without it. I had the water pump replaced under the factory warranty without the warray the dealer charges $1700 an independent will be around 500ish in labor the pump is 80ish.

These cars are not bad on parts mainly water pumps and the leather on the dash are two of the biggest issues. Another not so big issue would be the supercharger torsion isolator it sounds like a can of marbles under the hood.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2011 xfr with 43k on it. Debated over and over on a warranty...and finally bit the bullet because I like the car so much. I do all my own wrenching and never let anyone, let alone a dealer, touch my cars. However, in this case, with parts being expensive and the engine bay so tight, I decided it was worth my piece of mind.

Since its an '11 you should still be under original warranty with Jag. My dealer extended my jaguar warranty to 2021 or 100k miles for $3,700. Steep but since I got a great deal originally, I still consider myself ahead. I was not the original owner.

Good luck

Old 06-14-2015, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

I certainly wouldn't say 43k is getting to high mileage yet. There are plenty around pushing 100k and more. And the engine itself seems to be very strong. Issue as other posters have said is that even relatively small issues can be more pricey. So if you have a terrific independent shop with reasonable labour rates, then you could be ok without warranty. But if you are going to rely on dealer then even a couple of relatively small issues like a water pump and you will cover the warranty cost
Comes down to peace of mind - the other poster mentioned extending warranty to 2021 for 3700 usd. To me that's a great deal - even though I know on average the customer must loose on warranty as it's just an insurance premium...

Good luck. Sounds like a terrific car and given you know the history and it's still in original warranty it sounds like a very safe bet!

Old 06-15-2015, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Check for any rattle near the sunroof, just had a broken clip replaced. Water Pump replaced at 17k miles. Check when warranty started. The '11 gets two brake pad replacements, and wipers under warranty.

Last edited by jaguny; 06-15-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:16 PM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bmichael
Hi All -
I have the opportunity to buy a 2011 XFR with 48k on it. I know the owner, and all maintenance has been done. But it will be my daily driver, and i usually put 15k a year on a car, mostly highway. With such a high performance car, amd I going to get killed in maintenance? I am not worried about consumables, I mean with engine and tranny wear and tear.

How many miles should a near supercar like this be good for?

Would appreciate any comments and opinions.
Bruce

I hope my story will make you feel a little bit better.

I purchased my 2011 XFR in October of 2013 with around 7,000 miles on the clock. It is currently sitting a just a tad over 58,000 miles and I am running the car without an extended warranty. Through its warranty period, I did bring the car into the dealership to have a bit of work done but they were all related to either existing TSB's or something that was probably my fault. Outside of the usual headliner clips/sunroof noise and alleviating a few squeaks/rattles, not much has gone wrong with my car that wasn't my direct doing.

A few more expensive items replaced under warranty were a front drivers side strut that was leaking (multiple track days running a clockwise configuration), wheel speed sensor that caused the DSC/Dynamic Drive system to fault, and two sets of brake rotors (covered under the platinum service for all 2011's). I have not had any issues with my water pump despite running the car through multiple track days in temperatures exceeding 90 degrees. Outside of warranty, I have just replaced a cut vacuum line that came loose near the serpentine belt causing there to be no brake pedal pressure. This fix was about $350.

Although I was a bit wary about owning the car outside of warranty, my fears have subsided as my XFR has really gone through hell and back. I love the XFR and I (according to my dealer) over maintain the car but it has yet to give me any real problems. With the amount of abuse my car has received, I am honestly surprised that I have yet to deal with anything major. Knock on wood!

Most common issues are discussed in great detail on this forum. I cannot recall the last time anybody posted a thread in the X250 board relating to any major engine or transmission faults in the XFR.

P.S. - I didn't have many good pictures of my XFR from the last track day so apologies for the watermarked photo

Attached Thumbnails Advice on Buying 2011 XFR-xfr-willow.png  
Old 06-16-2015, 03:24 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

get a freaking warranty.
Carbon build is starting to become an issue.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 363 Likes on 273 Posts

Get a warranty, then drive it like you stole it..LoL
Seriously, the XFR is no different from any other 500hp car from BMW, MB, AUDI or even. CADILLAC, very complex. I've always liked to do my own wrenching also, but like today's jet fighter, the only way to get this kind of performance and handling requires computers, and specialized repair knowledge that only the dealer can provide, and with no warranty these cars can get pricey real fast. Having said that I found an XFR with all the major stuff done.So I've had no issues that my warranty didn't cover.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Start looking for an extra front wheel and an extra rear wheel. The 20" Nevis wheels look great but a small pothole can easily dent or crack them especially the front ones. I have been looking domestically for a front Nevis for two months now without luck. Even new ones are on back order. So my 2011 XFR is getting a long rest ... I would highly recommend that you also have an extra car to drive in case parts are hard to come buy or repairs become more frequent and take longer than you expect.

Last edited by zangonli; 06-26-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Are the miles on the car mostly highway or city?

Old 06-28-2015, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

May be time for aftermarket wheels. They are a lot cheaper per wheel than OeM ones. I also found the oem jag wheels to be fragile in winter weather and roads
Couple of other threads with various wheel options that fit the SC/XFR models