XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Advice needed on how to fix window wiper tank leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Advice needed on how to fix window wiper tank leak?

I knew when I brought the car that it had a leak in window washers somewhere, I filled it up with about 12 litres of water! The warning didn't come on for a few days but after that, it's back on.

I just filled it up again and it took about 8 litres to fill it, warning back off. I can see water slowing put around the drivers side wheel arch and sill under the drivers door so I suspect it's the tank or a pipe going to it.

If I remove the wheel and inner arch plastic, will I be able to see the leak or will I have to remove the tank to check it?

Old 10-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,274 Likes on 2,416 Posts

See here for a comprehensive how-to on the windscreen washer bottle (clean, remove, replace etc): How to: fixing your non-functioning windscreen washer
If that isn't the problem, do you have HID headlights with headlight washers?
On my XFS I had the same problem as you, until I discovered that the hoses which plug into the washers underneath the headlights were both unplugged and hanging loose! As fast as I filled up the washer bottle it would eventually drain!
If you peer down behind and below each headlight with a torch you might just be able to see those hoses, either plugged in or hanging foul. They have a 90 degree connection right at the end where they plug in. If you have very skinny arms, hands and fingers you might just be able to reach in far enough to feel around and possibly reconnect the hose(s). They press on over the end of a spout, and then there is a small black plastic three quarter circle clip which you click on to hold the hose in place. In my case those clips were still in place on the ends of the hoses, but in your case you may have lost one or both.
If you can't see them or reach them then the only way is to remove the headlight(s), reconnect the hose(s), then replace the headlights.

The following users liked this post:
Leet8845 (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll tackle this in in the next few days, I fine with removing headlights and stuff like that. On the RX8 and 350z, you have to remove the front bumper to get the headlights out.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:52 PM

You were right about the location of the leak, it was a hose under the driver's side headlight that had a split it in. I cut it out and rejoined the pipe. Hopefully that was the only place it was leaking from. Everything looks dry for now and I'm at least a step closer to fixing it, if I haven't already.