XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Airbag replacement removal jaguar xe xf 2018

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 03:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Airbag replacement removal jaguar xe xf 2018

Note I'm no certified tec or mechanic and preform this at your own risk

I had to change my steering wheel airbag in a 2018 jag xe. Looked at all the post and YouTube videos but did not find anything super detailed. So after playing around for almost two hours I finally was able to get the air bag released.
In my opinion I'm writing this to give a more detailed view and idea of what to look for with pictures hope this helps. Be sure to read all the way to the very very bottom.

Old airbag before removal

new airbag replaced
After searching reading and watching videos. I realized prior about the two holes on the very back of the steeering wheel where you can insert and flat bladed screw driver ( but really a Philips or torxs screw driver will work just as well) Other post told me you will feel with the screwdriver a spot in there to push on that releases the air bag one on either side of the steering wheel. This I never felt! Hence the two hours playing around.

Just to be clear rhe holes on the back of the steering wheel are around the 3&6 o'clock position there for you will need to rotate the steering wheel around to location I found it easiest to have the steering wheel extended all the way out. No need to remove any covers. Just pull the tilt all the way up and telescope all the way towards you.

Then stick your screw driver in the rear hole. Till you feel it bottom out on a steel plate. You will not feel anything to move. But there is a lever / metal bar that you will push down on to release the airbag. On that steel plate. See pictures. Once you see the pictures you will have a better understanding what you are looking for and how it's set up.

Here you can see I had the screw driver angled and pushed to far yet did go above the steel lever and was able to put the lever down to release the airbag. The arrow is the bump out where you will bottom out against when pushing the screw driver in. Then just mover the driver up and down till you catch the bar to release the airbag

Airbag out and inside look of steering column

Here you can see the steel plate bump out and metal lever/bar

back side of the airbag

i feel the pictures tell the best story Hope this sheds some light

Old 03-28-2023, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Goat
Note I'm no certified tec or mechanic and preform this at your own risk

I had to change my steering wheel airbag in a 2018 jag xe. Looked at all the post and YouTube videos but did not find anything super detailed. So after playing around for almost two hours I finally was able to get the air bag released.
In my opinion I'm writing this to give a more detailed view and idea of what to look for with pictures hope this helps. Be sure to read all the way to the very very bottom.

Old airbag before removal

new airbag replaced
After searching reading and watching videos. I realized prior about the two holes on the very back of the steeering wheel where you can insert and flat bladed screw driver ( but really a Philips or torxs screw driver will work just as well) Other post told me you will feel with the screwdriver a spot in there to push on that releases the air bag one on either side of the steering wheel. This I never felt! Hence the two hours playing around.

Just to be clear rhe holes on the back of the steering wheel are around the 3&6 o'clock position there for you will need to rotate the steering wheel around to location I found it easiest to have the steering wheel extended all the way out. No need to remove any covers. Just pull the tilt all the way up and telescope all the way towards you.

Then stick your screw driver in the rear hole. Till you feel it bottom out on a steel plate. You will not feel anything to move. But there is a lever / metal bar that you will push down on to release the airbag. On that steel plate. See pictures. Once you see the pictures you will have a better understanding what you are looking for and how it's set up.

Here you can see I had the screw driver angled and pushed to far yet did go above the steel lever and was able to put the lever down to release the airbag. The arrow is the bump out where you will bottom out against when pushing the screw driver in. Then just mover the driver up and down till you catch the bar to release the airbag

Airbag out and inside look of steering column

Here you can see the steel plate bump out and metal lever/bar

back side of the airbag

i feel the pictures tell the best story Hope this sheds some light
hi there. I wish to change the trim and I’ve been advised to remove the airbag first. Which I feel a little uneasy about. Did you isolate the battery first. All the best Leroy

Old 03-31-2023, 12:54 PM
Received 212 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Astonman7
hi there. I wish to change the trim and I’ve been advised to remove the airbag first. Which I feel a little uneasy about. Did you isolate the battery first. All the best Leroy
When you quote it may be best not repost all the photos, makes for a long thread for everyone. And yes you probably should disconnect the battery before working on airbags.