XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

All the error messages I can think of

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
Default All the error messages I can think of

So I've had 3 times now where my car has thrown about every error message I can think of on the screen. After the first 2, I replaced the battery based around a number of posts I'd seen on here. However, a week after a new battery, it came back. Any body run into this before? Do I have a failing ECU?

Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Vehicle VIN: SAJWA07C891R10513
Vehicle Manufacturer: Jaguar
Vehicle Calibration ID: 8X2

Current Fault Log
------------------
U0121: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
P0500: Vehicle Speed Sensor
U0155: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
U0103: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
U0415: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
U0128: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
U0402: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
U0405: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
P0504: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
U0151: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
U0122: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
U0100: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web

Pending Fault Log
------------------
P050B: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
P0128: Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)

Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
ECU reports no other fault codes logged

End of report.

Here are some pics of the dash:

Old 11-04-2015, 07:35 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Double check the battery connections. They maybe loose. Also the Neg lead to body mounting point, make sure it is tight and clean of corrosion.

Who or what did you replace the battery with...Some batteries are duds right from the start.

But if you use a charger, make sure it don't spike an open circuit up to 50 volts...HA, just kidding..no such thing exists..

Last edited by DPK; 11-04-2015 at 07:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
n8ertot (11-05-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That very same thing happened on my LR3, crazy codes and lights. Dealership re-flashed my ECU and it's been problem free for 3.5 years.

The following 2 users liked this post by wardo5757:
n8ertot (11-05-2015), Rob19321 (01-10-2023)
Old 11-05-2015, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by wardo5757
That very same thing happened on my LR3, crazy codes and lights. Dealership re-flashed my ECU and it's been problem free for 3.5 years.
That's good to know. I've been planning on getting a tune soon; does anybody know whether a tune rewrites and may fix something like this?

Old 11-05-2015, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by DPK
Double check the battery connections. They maybe loose. Also the Neg lead to body mounting point, make sure it is tight and clean of corrosion.

Who or what did you replace the battery with...Some batteries are duds right from the start.

But if you use a charger, make sure it don't spike an open circuit up to 50 volts...HA, just kidding..no such thing exists..
I took another look at everything and it all seems to be nice and tight/clean. The battery I went with is an Interstate Megatron Plus MTP-49/H8. It was the one recommended by Interstate:

CCA 730
CA 910
RC 175
AH 100

So the stats were all a bit better than the old one too.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Try the reset procedure in this thread (2nd post): https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...esolved-96381/

It helped get rid of a phantom CEL I had. I never had a huge list like yours. Still, it can't hurt.

n8ertot (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Try the reset procedure in this thread (2nd post): https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...esolved-96381/

It helped get rid of a phantom CEL I had. I never had a huge list like yours. Still, it can't hurt.
Thanks! I was picking up a coolant hose from the dealer today and the lights went crazy just as I was arriving, so I left it there to get updated. If that doesn't work, I'll give this a shot.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:28 PM

Had the dealer update the s/w and took it home. They weren't able to replicate/fix the issue after clearing codes, so they just charged me the $120 diag fee fortunately. It worked for a while, but I just got a dynamic mode error - no others. Just did the reset in Blackcoog's post, so here's hoping that will fix it.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Dunno how accurate these code descriptions will be but they are from the Master List so I think they should be spot on

U0121: Lost Communication With Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module
P0500: Vehicle Speed Sensor "A"
U0155: Lost Communication With Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Control Module
U0103: Lost Communication With Gear Shift Control Module A
U0415: Invalid Data Received from Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module
U0128: Lost Communication With Park Brake Control Module
U0402: Invalid Data Received from TCM
U0405: Invalid Data Received from Cruise Control Module
P0504: Invalid Data Received From Door Control Module E
U0151: Lost Communication With Restraints Control Module
U0122: Lost Communication With Vehicle Dynamics Control Module
U0100: Lost Communication With ECM / PCM A

Pending Fault Log
------------------
P050B: Cold Start Ignition Timing Performance
P0128: Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)

Historic Fault Log
------------------
End of report.

You have a communication problem between modules.

It's going to be a wiring problem in the HS or MS CAN bus, or a bad module that is somehow interconnecting the affected modules. Or maybe a module has lost it's programming

If it's a wiring problem then it'll take some time to track down, unless there are any common wiring faults which are known (for example the older S-Type had a wiring loom behind the front bumper that used to chafe and short out).

Good luck I hope we can help somehow.

EDIT

Don't panic btw, it could be something simple like a connector needs to be re-seated properly.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:44 PM

Well that's terrifying. Most of what scared me away from Jags for so many years was their reputation for electrical gremlins. I've had ABS false errors since I bought it. Maybe that has something to do with it? Does anybody know where that module would be?

Old 11-09-2015, 12:19 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I told you don't panic. It's certainly fixable and like I said might be something really simple in the end.

So it's still throwing up Dynamic Mode Error on the dash? Can you read the codes again?

If you've always had an ABS error on the dash then it might be a bad ABS module?

Troubleshooting this via the internet won't be fun, but you will get help here, that's for sure.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

When were the codes last reset? It's a 6 year old car and the answer may well be never.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo
I told you don't panic. It's certainly fixable and like I said might be something really simple in the end.

So it's still throwing up Dynamic Mode Error on the dash? Can you read the codes again?

If you've always had an ABS error on the dash then it might be a bad ABS module?

Troubleshooting this via the internet won't be fun, but you will get help here, that's for sure.

I did the hard reset, but haven't driven it much since then. I just checked for codes and they're all clear, so at this point I probably should just wait and see what happens.

Sorry, I meant TPMS, not ABS. It's not always on, but only seems to register the tires as being ok if they're inflated over 40psi (although still finicky as soon as it gets cold and the pressure changes).

Old 11-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by n8ertot
I did the hard reset, but haven't driven it much since then. I just checked for codes and they're all clear, so at this point I probably should just wait and see what happens.

Sorry, I meant TPMS, not ABS. It's not always on, but only seems to register the tires as being ok if they're inflated over 40psi (although still finicky as soon as it gets cold and the pressure changes).
I don't have the SC 4.2 but I've had a finicky TPMS light since I bought my XF also. It will give me warning that a tire isn't monitored, I could be any tire then just go away and function normally.

I don't think we are the only ones with that issue.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:30 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by n8ertot

The batteries in the tire on the pressure transmitters are getting weak..and will throw or cause a TPMS fault..Seen it before..as a rule, one should change the tire pressure sender units every time you replace the tires

Old 11-09-2015, 07:33 PM

Well, all codes came back again, so looks like I'm back to square one. Interestingly enough, the OBD2 port went dead (I had my reader connected) and only started working when I unplugged and plugged it back in. I think Cambo has the right idea that there's something going on with somewhere where the modules come together. Any guesses where that might be? The ECM was updated by the dealership when it was there, and I'd imagine they would have run into an issue if it was corrupted.
Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Vehicle VIN: SAJWA07C891R10513
Vehicle Manufacturer: Jaguar
Vehicle Calibration ID: Not present

Current Fault Log
------------------
U0415: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
P0504: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web

Pending Fault Log
------------------
U0121: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
P0500: Vehicle Speed Sensor
U0122: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web

Historic Fault Log
------------------

End of report.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, the on-screen errors seemed to mostly cycle between a CATS error, park brake error and an ABS error. Perhaps that's a clue as to where the errors come together?

Last edited by n8ertot; 11-09-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

It's odd the tool doesn't know standard P0 codes.

If the battery is known to be charged fully (is it?) then may be a chafed harness.

Any chance the car has or used to have some aftermarket electrical/electronic stuff?

Last edited by JagV8; 11-10-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
It's odd the tool doesn't know standard P0 codes.

If the battery is known to be charged fully (is it?) then may be a chafed harness.

Any chance the car has or used to have some aftermarket electrical/electronic stuff?
That is kinda odd, since it's a phone app, and should be able to update them as it goes.

The battery was charged completely when I replaced it. I tested the alternator too, and it seemed like it was fine.

The only aftermarket are some LED DRLs, and they only run when the engine is on. I'll go ahead and detach them for now, and see if that makes a difference. I can't imagine the power systems would be so weak that would make a difference though.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:56 PM

So I may have figured it out - time will tell.

I've been using a bluetooth OBD2 adapter to log intake temps as I'm driving to figure out how much heat soak can be avoided by wrapping the intakes in heat tape (haven't wrapped them yet). Today I happened to notice that my adapter was still connected to my phone after I had been home at least a half hour. When I went to the car, I noticed the adapter was still powered on. I had assumed the OBD2 port would have powered off fairly soon after shutting down the car, but it appears it stays on for quite a while.

So funny enough, I ended up with a bit of a Heisenberg situation - measuring has affected the outcome. I'm going to start pulling the adapter when I leave the car from now on and see if I get the error again.

Gpalace (11-10-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Typically the OBD bluetooth adapters will not shut off when you turn the car off. I had issues with it a while back. I forgot to remove it and it drained the battery.

I have seen how to's that cut power to the OBD port but I don't need to leave my adapter plugged in so I remove it after I'm done using it.

Quick Reply: All the error messages I can think of