XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Alternate Charging Terminal on XF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SUCCESS! Had the charger on trickle mode for about an hour and no power... Switched it to jump start mode and started to hear some clicking so I knew I was getting some power, and then I was able to pop the trunk!

Direct charger on the battery now, will check to see if it is shot.

Thanks Everyone!!

Old 03-15-2016, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Glad to hear it worked for you. Now everyone else needs to go try their key!

Old 03-15-2016, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Glad to hear it worked for you. Now everyone else needs to go try their key!
First thing I did when the OP said his didn't work, having never tried it before, and I thought it would be a good idea to practice in case one day I'm stranded on the side of the road with a flat battery.
Guess what - it worked perfectly!

Old 03-15-2016, 10:20 PM

Yeah I think something is broken in the key lock assembly. The trunk popped open just fine with the electric button on the trunk, and the safety release works from the inside of the trunk.

I had my charger on all night and the car never had enough juice to start. I put the jumper cables on from my MDX and let it sit for a few minutes and it started right up!

Also just an FYI, the rear seats DO fold down, but the release is in the trunk. I went ahead and folded down the rear seat in case the car doesn't start when I take it to get a new battery tomorrow...

Old 03-15-2016, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Say, Jaggy, it would be helpful if you could add your Model and year to your signature line so we do not have to go back searching in the thread. There are some differences between the X250 models. Like the seats folding down. (I think!)

Old 03-15-2016, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Every XF has folding rear seats, it's just that some have the mechanism including the cables and two yellow pull handles in the trunk/boot, and others don't. It was standard on some models and optional on all others. If yours doesn't have the mechanism, cables and handles it's a relatively cheap and easy DIY retrofit, see here: [How to] Fit the OE rear seat release

Old 03-15-2016, 11:17 PM

Glad your key works OzXFR!

Old 03-15-2016, 11:20 PM

Does anyone have a good recommendation on a new battery or just go with the dealer/OEM?

Old 03-16-2016, 06:22 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jaggy67
Does anyone have a good recommendation on a new battery or just go with the dealer/OEM?
Forget the Jaguar battery and get an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery from Advance Auto with a 30 percent off coupon from Retailmenot.com.
Alternatively, get the same from Autozone for a bit more money. Make sure you get an AGM battery in any case.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

I purchased an Interstate AGM battery from the dealer because I didn't want to go very far (the dealer is very close to me), but I wouldn't hesitate buying the Die Hard Platinum either. Have had one in a G35 (actually two G35s, I switched it when I bought my newer one 4 years ago) for about 5 years now and never a problem.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jaggy67
hey.... thats a sharp looking color on that jag ; )

Old 03-16-2016, 07:16 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Tried my key..worked fine..But I needed this thread to motivate me to try it..Thanks.

I'm going to Go with an Interstate battery when the time comes..The dealer is using them now too, as they also learned the Jag battery type are proven to be crappy at best in a lot of cases.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPK
Tried my key..worked fine..But I needed this thread to motivate me to try it..Thanks.

I'm going to Go with an Interstate battery when the time comes..The dealer is using them now too, as they also learned the Jag battery type are proven to be crappy at best in a lot of cases.
Make sure to get AGM

The following users liked this post:
DPK (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 07:40 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Make sure to get AGM
Yes, I believe I will..Can you or anyone else tell me what is the usual "service life" of the AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) type verses the flooded cell type?..I've yet to see any concrete comparisons.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

I now have AGM's in all my vehicles. They just seem to work better. I don't care if they last longer (which they seem to, but have no documented evidence) but the best thing is they always work. My motorcycle will sit for a month at a time. Fires right up. The Jag might sit for a week or more if I'm out of town for work. No battery tender needed...fires right up. That's the reason I pay more, not service life. But I do believe service life is better as well. I'll be able to tell you in a few more years how much better the life is, if the battery in my Infiniti is still going after 6 or more years.

DPK (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 09:30 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Thanks Kyanite..

I went and did the lazy google thing and came up with this long winded explanation....Hope it will benefit others too....But it did convince me that AGM's are far more superior than Flooded cells for the reasons you mentioned and I will definitely be going that route..

Battery Types: Flooded versus AGM and Gel

On the kinds of batteries we may use.

The most common kind of battery in Marine use today is the lead acid battery. Using an electrolyte consisting of sulphuric acid, these cells can store impressive amounts of electrical energy in a relatively small space. This energy is stored in chemical form within lead grids mounted inside the battery. The reliance on lead grids and paste explains the great heft of lead-acid batteries.

The battery universe is further divided along the lines of battery construction. Currently, there are three common lead-acid battery technologies: Flooded, Gel, and AGM.
•Flooded or Wet Cells are the most common lead-acid battery-type in use today. They offer the most size and design options and are built for many different uses. In the marine business, they usually are not sealed so the user can replenish any electrolyte the battery vented while charging the battery. Typically, the cells can be access via small ~1/2" holes in the top casing of the battery.

The plastic container used for flooded cells will have one or more cells molded into it. Each cell will feature a grid of lead plates along with an electrolyte based on sulphuric acid. Since the grid is not supported except at the edges, flooded lead-acid batteries are mechanically the weakest batteries.

Since the container is not sealed, great care has to be taken to ensure that the electrolyte does not come into contact with you (burns!) or seawater (chlorine gas!). The water needs of flooded cells can be reduced via the use of Hydrocaps, which facilitate the recombination of Oxygen and Hydrogen during the charging process.
•Gel Cells use a thickening agent like fumed silica to immobilize the electrolyte. Thus, if the battery container cracks or is breached, the cell will continue to function. Furthermore, the thickening agent prevents stratification by preventing the movement of electrolyte.

As Gel cells are sealed and cannot be re-filled with electrolyte, controlling the rate of charge is very important or the battery will be ruined in short order. Furthermore, gel cells use slightly lower charging voltages than flooded cells and thus the set-points for charging equipment have to be adjusted.
•Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries are the latest step in the evolution of lead-acid batteries. Instead of using a gel, an AGM uses a fiberglass like separator to hold the electrolyte in place. The physical bond between the separator fibers, the lead plates, and the container make AGMs spill-proof and the most vibration and impact resistant lead-acid batteries available today. Even better, AGMs use almost the same voltage set-points as flooded cells and thus can be used as drop-in replacements for flooded cells.

Basically, an AGM can do anything a Gel-cell can, only better. However, since they are also sealed, charging has to be controlled carefully or they too can be ruined in short order.

Gel and Absorbed Glass Mat batteries are relative newcomers but are rapdily gaining acceptance. There are some very compelling reasons to use VRLAs:
•Gel and Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries can dispense charge at a higher rate than flooded cells due to their lower Peukerts exponent. Deep-cycle Flooded Cells cannot deliver more than 25% of their rated amp-hour capacity in amps without plummeting Available Capacity. ◦Deep-Cycle Flooded cell battery manufacturers recommend a 4 to 1 ratio between battery bank size and the largest load encountered on board.
◦AGM and Gel cell manufacturers recommend a ratio of at least 3 to 1, a significant difference for loads such as the engine starter or windlass.

•Virtually no gassing under normal operating conditions: Unlike flooded cells, gel cells and AGMs are hermetically sealed and operate under pressure to recombine the oxygen and hydrogen produced during the charge process back into water. You find VRLAs in the bilges of high end yachts such as Hinckley, Hans Christian, Island Packet, etc.. Every boat benefits from a low center of gravity over the keel (good for righting purposes) and the minimal venting requirements make it possible.
•The ability to put VRLAs in the bilges (they can operate under water should you hole yourself) also lengthens their lives: For every additional 15 degrees of heat over 77 deg F, lead acid battery life (regardless of type) is cut in half (batteries self-destruct with time, you can only slow that process). Chances are, the bilges are the coldest place on board (outside the freezer) and the keel provides protection.
•VRLAs can operate in any orientation (although you may lose some capacity that way) and even if a container is broken, a VRLA will not leak. This is a feature particularly important to blue water sailors who may encounter survival storms - you don't want to coat the inside of your boat with sulfuric acid if you ever get rolled. Proper (heavy duty) battery restraints are a must, regardless of battery type.
•Gel cells and AGMs require no maintenance once the charging system has been properly set up. No equalization charges (usually), no electrolyte to replenish, no specific gravity checks, no additional safety gear to carry on board in order to protect yourself. If you want to be **** retentive about VRLAs you can load test them. However, proper charge control and protection is much more important with VRLAs because once fried it is impossible to revive them.
•The charge acceptance of AGMs can burn up an alternator if the charging system is not adequate for extended runtimes at full power. The larger the battery bank and the harder the charger is made to work, the more attention I would pay to ensuring that the charging system can handle the currents for extended periods of time. This caveat does not really apply to low-duty applications like starter banks, since they usually need so little charge to be topped up. Even the puny alternators found in Jet Skis should be able to handler an AGM starter battery, as long as that battery is just used for that - starting.
•On the other hand, if you need a large house bank and want to rely on a single charge source for much of the power, I'd aim for a high quality charge system from a respected company such as Ample Power, Balmar, Ferris, Hehr, JackRabbit Marine, SALT, etc. Ensure that the alternator receives enough cooling air as a hot alternator will produce less energy than a cool one and last longer to boot. AGMs and to a lesser extent gel cell systems can benefit from using the thermal alternator protection offered by the Balmar MaxCharge series of regulators, particularly if you expect to bulk charge your system for extended periods of time and don't have good engine compartment ventilation.
•The higher charge efficiency of AGMs allows you to recharge with less energy: Flooded cells convert 15-20% of the electrical energy into heat instead of potential power. Gel-cells lose 10-16% but AGMs as little as 4%. The higher charge efficiency of AGMs can contribute to significant savings when it comes to the use of expensive renewable energy sources (wind generators, solar panels, etc.) as your charging system can be 15% smaller (or just charge faster).
•While flooded cells lose up to 1% per day due to self-discharge, VRLAs lose 1-3% per month. Why employ a solar charger to trickle-charge your battery banks if you don't have to?
•High vibration resistance: The construction of AGMs allows them to be used in environments where other batteries would literally fall to pieces. This is another reason why AGMs see broad use in the aviation and the RV industry.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts

AGM batteries don't promote any corrosion like lead acid, and kept properly charged mine have lasted 10+ years.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:55 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

AGM batteries in this case are Lead/Acid, which contains the same H2SO4 electrolyte, just sealed...Which makes sense that no corrosive vapors escape.

Last edited by DPK; 03-17-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
First thing I did when the OP said his didn't work, having never tried it before, and I thought it would be a good idea to practice in case one day I'm stranded on the side of the road with a flat battery.
Guess what - it worked perfectly!
I did the same thing. lol...I hope that key works if i ever need to use it. I can't believe Jaggy used the fusebox terminal at the risk of frying some electronics. I would have done the locksmith..maybe i am out $80 but its better than frying some circuit board and making a bad situation worse. Glad to hear it worked for him though.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

So, why are we worried about "frying electronics"? The fuse terminal is the same circuit as the battery lead and short of letting the cable get loose and hitting something else, there is no more or less risk than connecting to the wire at the battery terminal.

Swimref (03-18-2016)

Quick Reply: Alternate Charging Terminal on XF?