XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Alternate Charging Terminal on XF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:02 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
So, why are we worried about "frying electronics"? The fuse terminal is the same circuit as the battery lead and short of letting the cable get loose and hitting something else, there is no more or less risk than connecting to the wire at the battery terminal.

I think it is because of the high amperage (current) that has to flow through to the starter that causes concerns. The wires from your battery to the starter are meant to handle this current, the thin wires from the fuse box are not.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Ok, Obviously, I agree it would not be wise to start the car via that conductor. The alternate charge point should be used to power the circuits to get in the boot!

We all have our particular insecurities! To an electrical guy, the Jaguar electronics do not seem so diabolical and sensitive. I laugh about the concern for which post of the battery to hook up first and so on. But, to me, the idea of dumping various snake oils into the engine or gas tank, "tuning" the engine, or changing an air filter from the manufacturer's design do seem a little foolish. We all have our quirks.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
So, why are we worried about "frying electronics"? The fuse terminal is the same circuit as the battery lead and short of letting the cable get loose and hitting something else, there is no more or less risk than connecting to the wire at the battery terminal.
ok. if you say so.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I do!

Old 01-14-2020, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaggy67
SUCCESS! Had the charger on trickle mode for about an hour and no power... Switched it to jump start mode and started to hear some clicking so I knew I was getting some power, and then I was able to pop the trunk!

Direct charger on the battery now, will check to see if it is shot.

Thanks Everyone!!
Just wondering when u charged the battery with a charger in the boot did you disconnect the battery?
I've been told if you disconnect the battery there is a shitload of things that need to be reset ECU wise with a scanner bit ive also been told it will damage the ECU if i hook up a charger with the batter connected so intetested to know which way u did it and any problems.
Thanks

Old 01-14-2020, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

I hook my trickle charger up to the battery while it's connected to the car. Works perfectly and that's what they are designed to do. I rarely need it but if away for several weeks then I might do it to be safe

You can also disconnect battery if you want. It resets the window stop limits (easy to reset). And the clock. Sometimes the trip mileage too. No issues. There is claim about 'recalibrating' a new battery but I've never seen that as a problem

I would note that two people on here mentioned more serious issues with electronics when re-connecting the battery. Seemed to fry a module. Maybe they spiked it or some other issue. But my bias would be to leave it connected and trickle charge away!

Note - if you do disconnect the battery, don't close the trunk...

Old 06-03-2022, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting into trunk when battery is dead and key fob (inner key) doesn't work

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
I would just bite the bullet and make the call to a locksmith. Hope to hear how you resolve this.
Try the key from the fob. In the door (pull off piece of door handle) you will see a place where the fob inner key goes.. open door and drop down back seat to enter trunk. Pull trunk safety string and open trunk. May be different on some models.