XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Amplifier and subwoofer install! Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Amplifier and subwoofer install! Help

Hi guys,
This may sound like a stupid question but I am installing an aftermarket sundown amplifier in my 2011. My question is i get where ever wire will go and tapping for audio signal is easy from the stock sub but how do I wire the remote wire on the amplifier? The remote wire turns the amplifier on and off with the car being turned on or off so it doesn't drain battery. I would appreciate help thanks.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:06 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

LC2 Cable that auto turns on and off.. Google it.. as Im not sure how or where to get one.. But the guy I had install my stuff tapped into the Stock Sub in the back and used the cable I referenced .. can be bought at any electronic superstore

Old 02-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

It's an Audio Control LC2. You can get one at most decent or better stereo shops or from Crutchfield

The following users liked this post:
JagVonder (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Fyi I installed the lc2 and tapped in the sub output, for some reason there's a sound delay. So I tapped it to the normal speaker (mids) output and now there's no sound delay.

Ajay Mann (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I want to know is not where to get the audio signal. But where do I put the remote wire from the amp to????? This wire is used to turn the amplifier on and off when u turn the car on/off!!! Usually this wire goes to the factory stereo wondering if there is another spot to put it since there is a factory amplifier in the trunk.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

If you buy an LC2 the remote turn on goes from it to the amp remote turn on connector. It will sense the signal from the speaker level inputs and turn itself and the amp on. Go to the Audio Control website and download the manual. Tells you everything you need to know.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:22 PM

Aj. Remote and audio out in this case are the same. Lc2. You don't need run remote to front dash.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 PM

Ok. Just got my car back from the audio shop. There is a problem.

All i did was have installed my aftermarket amp (1000w sony ) and 2 10" alpine subs. (My system from my previous car)

They used the lc2 or whatever module to auto turn on for the remote and that works great. The amp turns on and off as it should.

The problem is this. They tapped into the factory sub which we thought would be nice so I could control the sub via the infotainment screen in dash. While everything works. It sounds NOTHING like it did in my previous car

The bass is waaaay down. And seems the louder I turn up the volume, the more it gets muted

It's almost like when it's stock and as the bass seems too high or about to distort, the factory system turns down the bass automatically. This seems to be happening withy subs and aftermarket amp as they are directly tapped into stock sub.

What can we do?! Would it be better to tab into the rear right speaker instead? Or what?

Please help. So frustrating. I just want my system to sound nice again

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2014, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by sir2
Fyi I installed the lc2 and tapped in the sub output, for some reason there's a sound delay. So I tapped it to the normal speaker (mids) output and now there's no sound delay.
Could this maybe be my issue?? Are you having any issues with the sound getting quieted (bass) as you turn up. Almost like its self adjusting. Sounds awful

Also what kind of car your have? Did you just tap into the rear door lower speaker?? Thanks!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Any way your polarity on your speakers or phase on your amp is canceling out the bass? Not sure how you wired the two subs or what options your amp has but check that first. I had the phase wrong on mine when I first turned it on and had a similar issue. The woofers will cancel each other out. Also make sure your crossover high pass/low pass is correct. Little things overlooked can make it sound absolutely hideous.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

BTW...Do you have the B&W system?

Old 02-16-2014, 11:29 PM

I have 2011 xf premium without the b&w system.

I have a two channel amp with polarities correctly going to each respective speaker. This is the same setup and no changes from previously installed in my last car. Nothing has changed. Just new car. Wondering if it has something to do with tapping into sub because the stock sub gets "limited" when I turn up high. Thinking this is the issue. But wondering if the door speakers are similar issue??

Old 02-16-2014, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

That does happen on a lot of stock systems. My LC7 has the AccuBass function that allows you to overcome that issue. Wasn't sure how important it really was with my setup, but I'm definitely benefitting from it's presence. Maybe the shop didn't set up the LC2 AccuBass settings correctly? See link below that describes how it works.

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/c298/1262/Support.html

Look in your manual and it describes how to tune it.

edobernig (02-24-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 12:12 AM

Hmm. Interesting. I'm definitely noticing the bass roll off and quietness. So he didn't use a brand lc2 but a very similar one. Has bass knob as well etc etc. Wondering if tapping into the speaker instead of sub will correct this?? Or do speakers taper off as well in stock system??..

Old 02-17-2014, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member

In a stock system, they may never get any of the frequencies for the sub since it has a dedicated subwoofer channel.

What brand and model is your processor? Maybe we can look it up and find some answers?

Old 02-17-2014, 09:54 PM

Scosche line out converter with remote turn on.

Is what the guy used. Purchased off of amazon.

I am thinking / hoping that it's just because it's wired up to the sun that this issue is happening. We will see. Any other suggestions or ideas etc. Anyone. Lol??

Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

when u find out whats wrong let us know . i was thinking of doing a subwoofer upgrade. did you upgrade your speakers inside the car? i think we have the same basic speakers so i am curious. thanks

Old 02-17-2014, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

That line converter isn't doing what you need it to. You're definitely losing the lower bass notes through the stock system. You also aren't getting any type of voltage boost for the signal either (makes it so you need to turn up the gain to get enough sound, but it distorts faster the higher you turn up the gain).

You need to invest in an LC2 to take care of your issues. It will give you the ability to "add" back in the low frequencies that the stock system takes away and up the signal voltage to get more clean sound from your amp. Mine sounds great even having to overcome the trunk bottom cover, since my 12" woofer is in the spare tire well.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:33 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
That line converter isn't doing what you need it to. You're definitely losing the lower bass notes through the stock system. You also aren't getting any type of voltage boost for the signal either (makes it so you need to turn up the gain to get enough sound, but it distorts faster the higher you turn up the gain).

You need to invest in an LC2 to take care of your issues. It will give you the ability to "add" back in the low frequencies that the stock system takes away and up the signal voltage to get more clean sound from your amp. Mine sounds great even having to overcome the trunk bottom cover, since my 12" woofer is in the spare tire well.
you have a picture of your setup?

Old 02-18-2014, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
That line converter isn't doing what you need it to. You're definitely losing the lower bass notes through the stock system. You also aren't getting any type of voltage boost for the signal either (makes it so you need to turn up the gain to get enough sound, but it distorts faster the higher you turn up the gain). You need to invest in an LC2 to take care of your issues. It will give you the ability to "add" back in the low frequencies that the stock system takes away and up the signal voltage to get more clean sound from your amp. Mine sounds great even having to overcome the trunk bottom cover, since my 12" woofer is in the spare tire well.
Would it be ok if I just tapped into speakers instead of sub? I've heard that it works quite a bit better...

Quick Reply: Amplifier and subwoofer install! Help