XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Another android unit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 10:49 AM
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

How has your experience been so far, everything working 100%?, Would be great if someone could share the experience on an older denso unit.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:02 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos Saez
How has your experience been so far, everything working 100%?, Would be great if someone could share the experience on an older denso unit.
Hi Carlos,
There was a problem with the first unit but I've been sent a replacement and everything is working perfectly 👍
Having the Bosch system I can confirm that all the original system functions work 👍 unfortunately the Denso programming is not as easy to decode and a lot of functions apparently don't work 😔

Old 06-13-2022, 01:17 AM

So I did the long term test on the weekend driving from Germany to Croatia a total of 14 hours and can gladly say the unit worked perfectly using Spotify and Sygic and waze navigation with no system crashes or other bugs 👍

The following 2 users liked this post by Taffyduck:
BreaktheChains (06-13-2022), GeeVeeXF (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 06:59 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Hope you're recovering is going well. Thnks for the updates on this they have been most interesting to follow. Like ivanov I'm also from Australia and relatively recently upgraded my 2008 XF with apple car play etc. It's worked perfectly and of course having access to mulitiple applications for both music and navigation etc my driving experience has really been enhanced.

I've also taken the opportunity mentioned on other threads to still update my OEM sat nav disc (recently getting the 2022 update), because the mobile phone coverage can be problematic in rural Australia and whilst Sygic, Google maps and Apple will continue to operate if you have already commenced a journey, initiating a new journey obviously isn't possible if there is no signal. This is where the OEM unit with the updated 2022 disc is from my perspective a god send as is having access to the car's CD stacker for the same reason.

What I'd like to raise is both a comment and a question. Last weekend I also did a 2,000km round trip and decided to use the Sygic nav app. To my great surprise literally 800km inland on a minor country road the Sygic system started to alert me of the severity of curves as I both approached them and negotiated them. I wasn't aware of this feature and given the condition of the road and it's remoteness I was extremely curious as to how this feature was able to sense the speed of the car in relation to the radius of the curve ahead.

Do you or or other members know how this works. I must say I was incredibly impressed and the fact that this was the first time I had experienced it. The system only activated that function when my road speed must have been approaching a particular threshold. A lot of rural roads in Australia are characterised by very long sections of straight road and then quite suddenly a sharp radius curve appears.

BTW the car performed flawlessly as it always has done and I achieved just on 6.3l/100km

The following users liked this post:
BreaktheChains (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by GeeVeeXF
Hope you're recovering is going well. Thnks for the updates on this they have been most interesting to follow. Like ivanov I'm also from Australia and relatively recently upgraded my 2008 XF with apple car play etc. It's worked perfectly and of course having access to mulitiple applications for both music and navigation etc my driving experience has really been enhanced.

I've also taken the opportunity mentioned on other threads to still update my OEM sat nav disc (recently getting the 2022 update), because the mobile phone coverage can be problematic in rural Australia and whilst Sygic, Google maps and Apple will continue to operate if you have already commenced a journey, initiating a new journey obviously isn't possible if there is no signal. This is where the OEM unit with the updated 2022 disc is from my perspective a god send as is having access to the car's CD stacker for the same reason.

What I'd like to raise is both a comment and a question. Last weekend I also did a 2,000km round trip and decided to use the Sygic nav app. To my great surprise literally 800km inland on a minor country road the Sygic system started to alert me of the severity of curves as I both approached them and negotiated them. I wasn't aware of this feature and given the condition of the road and it's remoteness I was extremely curious as to how this feature was able to sense the speed of the car in relation to the radius of the curve ahead.

Do you or or other members know how this works. I must say I was incredibly impressed and the fact that this was the first time I had experienced it. The system only activated that function when my road speed must have been approaching a particular threshold. A lot of rural roads in Australia are characterised by very long sections of straight road and then quite suddenly a sharp radius curve appears.

BTW the car performed flawlessly as it always has done and I achieved just on 6.3l/100km
It's funny you should mention that with sygic, on my drive from Germany to Croatia Sygic did the same with me. I don't think it has anything to do with the speed you're going as I wasn't going fast coming up to the curves, I think it's just to warn you of the sharp curve ahead and when you're actually in it. Nice little feature though. Although it was a bit annoying on a Slowenien mountain road😜

GeeVeeXF (06-14-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 05:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you or or other members know how this works.
I was once an Apple GPS developer, and worked on some early GPS apps. The data set that your system 'reads' is a sequence of mathematical calculations, defining everything from road 'straightness' to the actual road width, and road markings. It's very simple mathematically to alert users when a vehicle is shown entering a tight-radius curve.

GeeVeeXF (06-18-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 01:51 PM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I just can’t get myself to like the way it looks.

GeeVeeXF (10-05-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 01:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand why you'd do this. I can play any music over bluetooth just fine. I can do nav through my phone through the bluetooth too. Why would you go to the trouble of replacing the head unit?

Old 06-18-2022, 06:48 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks ivanov. It just took me by surprise as I hadn't encountered it before.

GeeVeeXF

Old 06-19-2022, 09:18 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I also purchased this new Android unit and installed it a few days ago. With the help of Taffyduck, I have been able to get it functioning properly with a few Factory Setting changes, etc... Overall, I really like this unit. I see a lot of comments about it's looks, but I really don't see how it looks much different than the factory units that they are putting in new Mazda's, Mercedes, etc... It doesn't seem out of place to me, the screen brightness is excellent, it has an anti-glare screen...

Sure, accessing the factory settings is a bit of a pain as you have to navigate thru a few menus, but the factory infotainment wasn't exactly easy to navigate thru to make "simple adjustments." What's another 5 seconds of screen pressing...I don't see the big deal.

I have had issues receiving phone calls on the new unit, I can't hear the caller, and the caller can't hear me. I am still fumbling thru some of the settings and hope to get this resolved, this is my only complaint so far.

Old 06-20-2022, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Revelasti
I don't understand why you'd do this. I can play any music over bluetooth just fine. I can do nav through my phone through the bluetooth too. Why would you go to the trouble of replacing the head unit?
It's just to bring the infotainment system up to date. Nobody watches TV over a tube screen anymore although it does the same job as a 65"4K UHD TV. Some of us will try to bring the cars up to date and enjoy the benefits of a modern system on a bigger screen and some won't.
As I've said before, if you don't like it don't do it but please have the curtesy not to have a go at those who do. There is no doubt a Forum on here that will interest you 👍

Old 06-20-2022, 01:20 AM

Have a nice day😁

Last edited by Taffyduck; 06-20-2022 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:10 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelasti
You don't have to understand, that's the beauty of it. Some of us want to upgrade and try something different, some of us don't. Some of us keep our cars stock, some modify them as much as possible because that's what THEY want to do.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree

I have had Apple Car Play installed into my 2008 XF which I've had from new. I much prefer keeping the original look and feel of what I think is a beautifully designed dashed. My system works perfectly, but of course its a personal choice thing!!!
Hi mate, I am over in Perth and looking at 2 XF 3L diesels. 09 and 12. 09 has the better engine but I want carplay like yours but cant find any for the preface lift. Can you tell me what system/who fitted yours? I was about to buy the slower 12 just so I could fit OEM looking carplay as I don't like the android units.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by legalis
...I was about to buy the slower 12 just so I could fit OEM looking carplay...
The 'slower' facelift has as much poke as any Australian with blood in their veins needs. I'd go the facelift for the better seats (big difference for me), lighting (here in Oz they work better: and no more halogen), tidier exterior (lots of subtle things, from the increased power bulge on the bonnet to the front grille and finishing, the full LED taillights, power cinch on the boot, and hydrophobic glass on the front windows), and for the extra hard buttons for phone and navigation as well as better colour display, and revised instrument cluster. Other things such as better USB ports in the centre console, virtual multi changer CD if you still use that old stuff, and for most, the drop-down rear seats are in place (though to be fair this is a simple to fit change).

That aside, yes, the CarPlay choices are better, too - though I'm steering towards plugging in a Roadtop 8.8" unit on top instead - overall, there are more options available for the MY12 onwards...

Old 07-02-2022, 10:42 PM

I dont like the facelift model at all. And the 09 is 20% more powerful, 30k kms less and cheaper. Perth is a small market so no much choice. The 8sp auto in the facelift is also 1/2 slower than the 6 speed ZF. So a lot of benefits to a pre facelift

Old 07-02-2022, 10:44 PM

Oh, I am coming for a 6L 365rwhp V8 so no, the 175kw diesel doesn’t have enough poke for me lol

Old 07-02-2022, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by legalis
I dont like the facelift model at all. And the 09 is 20% more powerful, 30k kms less and cheaper. Perth is a small market so no much choice. The 8sp auto in the facelift is also 1/2 slower than the 6 speed ZF. So a lot of benefits to a pre facelift
Fair enough, if you don't like the facelift, then that settles it. But drive them both for more than a few km, and ensure that the seats/lights/etc work for you. There is a difference. Drive them back to back, if you can, for a true comparison.

Like you, I'm used to bigger/more powerful cars and bikes, and comparatively, the difference in driving the 202 vs 177 was practically negligible (in that both were markedly less pokey than what I was used to).

I don't believe that the 8-speed gearbox is any slower, unless you've got stats to show this: most interesting…

And to get back on the thread: good luck in finding a useful head unit with CarPlay: there is a guy in Sydney (Facebook: Old Jaguar Australia - I can't offer a link here for some bizarre reason) who does them for Jaguar/LandRover owners who is pretty good. He knows his way around the difference limitations of each unit and the stock car controls. Also Xtreme Car Audio (Sydney, again - wrong side of the island, though)

Old 07-02-2022, 11:01 PM

Thanks mate, i will drive both. I suppose it is the ability to ge lt the 202kw to 245kw/700nm on a tune vs only 225/600nm on the 175kw tune. I can also get a 4.2L 09 but hesitant on B8 fuel costs again. I am pretty certain i read on a few sites the 175kw 8sp was 0.4 secs slower to the equivalent 6sp 175kw. If i could get wireless carplay working on the pre facelift like the facelift model, i would snap up the 202. I will check out eho u suggested. Appreciate the advice

Old 07-02-2022, 11:05 PM

I've not heard of people comfortably getting more than 202/700 out of the 3.0 diesel (from either engine rating), and I'd be wary of taking if further due to the likelihood of split inlet manifolds etc.

In any event, track down Cameron fro Old Jaguar Australia - he knows his CarPlay stuff, and he has a sideline of tuning ZF gearboxes, too (though once again, wrong side of Oz!).

Quick Reply: Another android unit.