XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Another gremlin...help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another gremlin...help!

A new problem has occurred during the last two days. The steering wheel/steering column makes noises like a rubber cracking type sound when you turn the steering wheel to the left. When you turn to the right, no noise at all.

What could this be?

Old 12-07-2011, 06:53 PM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Watchgeek
A new problem has occurred during the last two days. The steering wheel/steering column makes noises like a rubber cracking type sound when you turn the steering wheel to the left. When you turn to the right, no noise at all.

What could this be?
Be like my wife: Only make right hand turns.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:52 AM

Come on guys. Give me some help..like the joke but doesn't answer my question. Certainly someone on this forum had the same problem?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

My XJ6 of 2003 makes creaking/cracking noises as I turn the wheel both ways, does it sound like this ?

I just put up with it, but I believe some lube stuff squirted in the right place can cure it, and the dealer techs are best placed to know how. Other than that, it could be related to the clock spring device, I suppose. Are there any other things happening which seem related to the noise ?

Old 12-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Watchgeek

What could this be?
I had the same problem in a Dodge Ram awhile back. Apparently, there is something called a "clock spring" in the steering wheel that may need to be replaced. It is allegedly a fairly easy and quick fix.

If that is the problem...

Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Thank you forbquick responses..the clock spring coildnbe the problem.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:49 PM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Obviously a Republican steering wheel.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Clock spring contact ring makes a metallic scraping noise if defective. Rubber creaks more likely to be a universal joint or a piece of trim interfering with the steering column.

Any defect in the steering should be diagnosed and corrected ASAP no matter how minor it may seem. Safety critical systems must operate perfectly 100% of the time. You are right to be concerned even though it is probably a trivial fault you need to find out and have it corrected. BTW that clock spring is critical to the operation of the supplemental airbag in the steering wheel hub. A noisy clock spring is almost certainly functional, but only almost.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Clock spring contact ring makes a metallic scraping noise if defective. Rubber creaks more likely to be a universal joint or a piece of trim interfering with the steering column.

Any defect in the steering should be diagnosed and corrected ASAP no matter how minor it may seem. Safety critical systems must operate perfectly 100% of the time. You are right to be concerned even though it is probably a trivial fault you need to find out and have it corrected. BTW that clock spring is critical to the operation of the supplemental airbag in the steering wheel hub. A noisy clock spring is almost certainly functional, but only almost.
Fully agree re taking it seriously. BTW the clock spring transfers all the multifunction steering wheel info as well. Diagnosing on the basis of how a sound appears to the ear is difficult, it could be the clock spring.