XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Another iPhone question - iPod interface related

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another iPhone question - iPod interface related

Hi All,
Brand new Jaguar XF SC owner here. I've read all of the previous posts on the iPod interface and still a little confused. The iPod cable that came with the car works flawlessly for playing the music on my iPhone 4S. My questions are:

1) What is the best way to have it charge the iPhone as well? I kept reading about the Scosche passPORT?

2) Is there a different cable I can buy (perhaps one that is a little longer) that will play music and charge the phone?

Thanks!!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I bought a latest generation ipod Touch about a month ago and discovered the same charging issue (look for my prior post). I didn't want to have the large Scosche adapter in my console, so I bought the "new" cable, but it didn't help. I'm now going to move the ipod Touch to another car which doesn't require the Scosche adapter and buy an ipod Nano to leave in the XF. You might want to do the same. With the Scosche adapter, the ipod no longer lays nice and flat on its edge because it is now too long.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I can only speak for 2010 MY Jags as that is the one I own. However the Jag interface for the MY 2010 only supports the 12v charging and needs the Scosche adapter to drop the 12v to 5v and charge your iPhone. I know of no cable that incorporates the adapter.

Older iPods support the 12v charging without an adapter but all iPhones use the 5v charging and need an adapter to power the iPhone. Thank Apple for messing with the interface (they moved from 12v Firewire interface charging to USB 5v charging). Luckily the 12v and 5v circuits are on different pins, so plugging an Apple device into the connector with only the 12v circuit does not damage the device with a 5v power connection. The Scosche adapter takes the 12v and drops it to 5v and outputs in on the appropriate pin.

The audio/digital data feeds were not changed so music playback works properly with playlists etc.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
I can only speak for 2010 MY Jags as that is the one I own. However the Jag interface for the MY 2010 only supports the 12v charging and needs the Scosche adapter to drop the 12v to 5v and charge your iPhone. I know of no cable that incorporates the adapter.

Older iPods support the 12v charging without an adapter but all iPhones use the 5v charging and need an adapter to power the iPhone. Thank Apple for messing with the interface (they moved from 12v Firewire interface charging to USB 5v charging). Luckily the 12v and 5v circuits are on different pins, so plugging an Apple device into the connector with only the 12v circuit does not damage the device with a 5v power connection. The Scosche adapter takes the 12v and drops it to 5v and outputs in on the appropriate pin.

The audio/digital data feeds were not changed so music playback works properly with playlists etc.

Hope this helps.
I've been doing more research. Interestingly, the Apple website does not say that the Scosche PassPORT is compatible with the iPhone 4S. Can anyone confirm that it does in fact charge the iPhone 4S?

Secondly, I've read that Jaguar has a new cable available that will charge the iPhone 4S... Is this true?

Thanks!

Old 07-14-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by tama2112
I've been doing more research. Interestingly, the Apple website does not say that the Scosche PassPORT is compatible with the iPhone 4S. Can anyone confirm that it does in fact charge the iPhone 4S?

Secondly, I've read that Jaguar has a new cable available that will charge the iPhone 4S... Is this true?

Thanks!
I would call Scosche and ask them. I noticed that even on their web site they don't say that the Passport works with the latest generation of ipod Touch. I had to call to confirm that.

If the ipod connector in your car is putting out 12V and your iphone requires 5V, you're in the same boat as me, so I don't see how the new cable is going to help. You could try visiting your dealer and seeing if they have one out of the package for you to try. If not, ask if you buy one, carefully open the package (it's sealed in a plastic wrapper) and return it if it doesn't work.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:16 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Scosche Passport is working fine with iPhone 4s. I have no problems with it in my XF

Old 07-15-2012, 11:40 AM

I have a 2010 XF that I just purchased and noticed that the iPod cable would not charge my iPhone 4s but the loaner XF that I drove while they detailed mine did charge my phone. Maybe there is a different cable available from Jag that does? The loaner car was also a 2010 too.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

My ipod cable charges my iphone 4 no problem. I have 2012.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ablissit
I have a 2010 XF that I just purchased and noticed that the iPod cable would not charge my iPhone 4s but the loaner XF that I drove while they detailed mine did charge my phone. Maybe there is a different cable available from Jag that does? The loaner car was also a 2010 too.
The 2010 loaner that you drove may have been built after Jaguar became aware of the Apple shift from 12V to 5V.

I noticed with my iPod Touch that iHome clock radios with iPod docks in some hotels will charge my iPod, but not in others -- even though they look the same. Obviously, the newer ones can charge the older 12V ones as well as the newer 5V iPods, whereas the older iHome units were built to charge only 12V iPods. I think it's the same with XFs.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tama2112

Thanks!

The Scosche adapter works fine and charges my 4S. It also is a better connection IMO, than the stock cable.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 AM

i m in love with iphone 5
steps to unlock iphone 4