XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Any news on activating voice module?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any news on activating voice module?

I'm new to the forum with my '13 XF and have been unable to get a straight answer from the dealer or Jaguar NA regarding putting voice recognition in my car. I've reviewed the threads and see nothing new posted for some time. Anyone got any accurate info or been successful in activating the system? It's not the end of the world, but is handy when driving.

Thanks for any insight or relief!

Old 08-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Voice Recognition

Originally Posted by 68lima
I'm new to the forum with my '13 XF and have been unable to get a straight answer from the dealer or Jaguar NA regarding putting voice recognition in my car. I've reviewed the threads and see nothing new posted for some time. Anyone got any accurate info or been successful in activating the system? It's not the end of the world, but is handy when driving.

Thanks for any insight or relief!
I'm a little unclear on your issue. Are you wanting to "add" the voice recognition feature because your vehicle isn't equipped with it, or are you asking why the system in the car isn't functioning properly?

Luck
King Fala

Old 08-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The dealership can activate it. I had it done on my 2009. They were under the wrong impression that voice activation was deactivated by Jaguar because of complaints in how difficult it was to use. In reality, it is no different than any other car and works very well as long as you make the effort to learn the commands. Try calling JNA at 201-818-8001 and explain the situation to them. They helped me two years ago getting mine activated.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Default Voice Commands

If your 2013 XF has the same system as my 2013 XJ, as you say, learning the voice commands should be a breeze. I'll tell you what a dunce I was.

I had the car for a couple of weeks and was hesitant about attempting the "voice command" feature. Finally, I gave it a shot. Pressed the white Voice Command button, and right there, on the dash screen to the right were listed all of the "hints". Phone, navigation etc. I hadn't seen them before.

My biggest problem was remembering to wait for the bell-sound before issuing the command. It's been smooth sailing ever since.

And, considering that using Voice Commands is the only way to enter a GPS destination while moving should seal the deal.

Luck
King Fala

Old 08-24-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by KingFala
I'm a little unclear on your issue. Are you wanting to "add" the voice recognition feature because your vehicle isn't equipped with it, or are you asking why the system in the car isn't functioning properly?

Luck
King Fala
I am told by JagNA that the car does not come with it. The question is now how to add it. The command button is on the wheel but it does not respond with voice. It takes me to previously dialed menu.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by VapourTrail
The dealership can activate it. I had it done on my 2009. They were under the wrong impression that voice activation was deactivated by Jaguar because of complaints in how difficult it was to use. In reality, it is no different than any other car and works very well as long as you make the effort to learn the commands. Try calling JNA at 201-818-8001 and explain the situation to them. They helped me two years ago getting mine activated.
Been to the dealer and had a lengthy call to JagNA. I am told the vehicle does not come with it. Period. No help or offer to add for a fee.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:53 AM

Well I hope it's correct about the dealer being able to activate Voice. I also have a new 2013 XF that I bought 5 weeks ago. The dealer is telling me that because I don't have Sat Nav Voice will not work even though it shows up as an option on the touch screen.

Without Sat Nav it will not upload CD's into memory or display any CD or track info. Meridian have confirmed that without an HDD for the Sat Nav there is no place to store CD Data or the Gracenote Data Base for CD info.

I have a 64GB solid state micro card in my phone that cost less than 30 bucks. For a Premium Car manufacturer that says it's going head to head with Audi , Merc and BMW this seems to be petty cost cutting by Jaguar.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:02 AM

Please keep me posted on your dilemma. It is frustrating and uncalled for on thus level of luxury vehicle. I have read very old posts about adding an optical cable and then the voice unit. A lot a work and expense for a novice electrical engineer. There has to be a simpler work around to gain full function. Thx to all for their input.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:53 PM

Latest from dealer. "Although the spec sheet says this vehicle VIN Number has Jaguar Voice it's probably a typo. If it doesn't work then you don't have it and there's no way to activate it"

Perhaps I better check that I have a 3.0 Supercharged AWD not a 2.0 Diesel RWD, maybe that's a Typo too !!!

Did you buy your 2013 New, does it have Sat Nav ?
I don't think the Voice issue is related to Sat Nav, but it is confirmed as the reason for my CD issues

I agree that this absolutely not what we should expect from a premium auto manufacturer like Jaguar. At the very least the owners manual should point out how not having one option can affect the performance of other unrelated options.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I missed the bit about it not having SatNav. Me thinks you are SOL.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by VapourTrail
I missed the bit about it not having SatNav. Me thinks you are SOL.
Here is the dope on the '13 XF and Voice. Vapor's right, got a bit more complicated than it was in 2009.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails Any news on activating voice module?-13-xf-voice.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Yes it seems they are going backwards. I have a 2012 base and the 5.0, navi, and more were standard. I think 2012 had the best for the money.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:32 AM

Thanks for that info Steve. Where did that extract come from, is it available on the net?

It seems to make sense as I have the Convenience Pack but not the Premium. It seems Jag have made the options so complex that even the sales guys don't really understand them . Or maybe they're just your typical ex-used car sales guys hardwired to make misleading statements. Either way not what I'd hoped for from Jaguar.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 2011 XF Sport being shipped to me right now and should be here by the weekend. I've done a lot of research and it is very hard to find information online about the XF Sport package. From what I can tell it doesn't have voice control... nor a back window shade or a/c seats. Bummer. But I got a great deal on this car and I LOVE the rest of it. Does anyone know if this model will be able to have voice recognition activated?

Old 08-28-2014, 09:25 AM

Despite what the dealer has told me, Jaguar North America have now confirmed that Voice can be activated by the dealer. For this to be possible the voice control option has to show on the touch screen as "Voice" on the Setup Screen, which mine does. All XF's have the steering wheel button because Jag don't bother to blank it out for non voice equipped vehicles.
Jag NA were very helpful, I would suggest that anyone needing info should call them at 800 668 6257 and ask them to check the specific VIN of theie vehicle.
I am contacting my dealer today and will post here to confirm that the activation has happened.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Scratching my head as to why anyone would want the voice control activated. Even the newest versions of that technology are pretty terrible. I have had voice controls on the last 3 vehicles I have owned, and all three were so awful I never bothered to use it.

I find it easier just hitting a touch screen a few times or pressing a button :P

Old 08-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Default Voice commands

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Scratching my head as to why anyone would want the voice control activated. Even the newest versions of that technology are pretty terrible. I have had voice controls on the last 3 vehicles I have owned, and all three were so awful I never bothered to use it.

I find it easier just hitting a touch screen a few times or pressing a button :P
Not to be argumentative, I think they work fairly well. In my experience, especially with making phone calls.

I certainly don't have a lot of experience with the different systems out there, but even my 2013 XJ is pretty good.

I do know that most of the auto magazine writers love to criticize the technology, but like most critics don't seem to have a solution for their complaint.

A lot of us complain about our computers, for whatever reason, but I venture to say that not many of us are going to do without.

Find what works for you; the sweet spot so to speak, and use it for that purpose.

Luck
King Fala

Old 09-05-2014, 02:20 PM

To close this thread. Bad news Jaguar NA have now admitted they were wrong ! Without Sat Nav there is No Voice, No CD upload and No CD Data and none of these can be activated after the fact.
What annoys me is not that I don't have Voice but it has taken me weeks of emails and calls to the dealer and Jaguar NA to sort out the conflicting and contradictory opinions of various Jaguar tech advisors. All this could be avoided with a one liner in the manual "This option not available if Sat Nav is not fitted."

It would also save some confusion if Jag removed the Voice option from the setup menu on the touch screen and the button from the steering wheel which does FA