XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Apple car play

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Apple car play

Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet:

http://news.yahoo.com/apple-dials-effort-meld-iphone-cars-212007570--finance.html

I think it looks pretty interesting although it may not go as far as I hoped. How amazing would it be if apple developed a whole iOS for a car with different add ons/options for manufacturers to spec for customization and appropriate levels of technology based on vehicle class. I am far from an apple fanboy, but one thing they do better than anyone else is user experience. This could be a great way for jaguar to upgrade what is otherwise an outdated system.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:28 AM
GGG
Received 16,855 Likes on 12,186 Posts

These news links have a habit of disappearing so here is the text:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Apple is accelerating the race to make smartphone applications easier and safer to use in cars.

Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo are previewing Apple's iPhone technology for cars this week at an auto show in Geneva.

The partnerships give Apple an early lead over Google's loosely knit family of Android phones in a duel to make mobile applications more accessible while drivers are behind the wheel. Apple's iOS mobile software and Google's Android operating system power most of the smartphones in the world.

Just two months ago, Google Inc. announced it is working with several major automakers to turn Android phones into an essential part of cars. Google hopes to finish work on its system for tethering Android phones to cars by the end of this year.
Apple Inc. announced its automobile ambitions nine months ago when it unveiled its "iOS in the Car" initiative — a reference to the operating system that powers the iPhone and iPad.

Now that the idea is moving closer to reality, Apple is renaming the technology "CarPlay."

The system announced Monday enables iPhones to plug into cars so drivers can call up maps, make calls and request music with voice commands or a touch on a vehicle's dashboard screen.

By making smartphones work more seamlessly with automobiles, both Apple and Google are hoping to immerse their services even deeper into peoples' lives. In doing so, the companies expect to make money by selling advertising, applications and upgrades on smartphones that will become even more indispensable.

"IPhone users always want their content at their fingertips and CarPlay lets drivers use their iPhone in the car with minimized distraction," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of iPhone and iOS product marketing.

Automakers are hoping vehicles that are compatible with the top-selling smartphones will be easier to sell to consumers who can't fathom living without the devices.
Cars of recent vintage increasingly feature electronics designed to cater to drivers' high-tech desires, but those systems still haven't attracted a widespread following. That has led more automakers to conclude that it makes sense to work directly with technology companies such as Apple and Google to turn their cars into smartphone extensions.

CarPlay requires Apple's latest mobile software, iOS 7, and an iPhone 5, 5C or 5S.
Ferrari is previewing CarPlay on its four-wheel-drive FF model. Volvo plans to feature the iPhone system in its redesigned Volvo XC90 sports utility vehicle. Mercedes-Benz isn't disclosing which models will get CarPlay, but expects both its S-Class large sedan and C-Class midsize sedan should be compatible with the system.

A long list of other automakers, including General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Honda, also are drawing up plans for CarPlay, according to Apple.

So far, GM, Honda, Hyundai and Audi have signed up for Google's "Open Automotive Alliance" for Android.

GM and Honda declined to comment on their CarPlay plans.

Ford said it will deploy CarPlay as one of several options for making its cars work more smoothly with smartphones. The automaker already features a voice-control system called "Sync" made by Microsoft Corp. in some of its cars. Ford also offers its own touch-screen technology in its vehicles.

The different choices are designed to ensure "you don't have to make a $30,000 decision about what car you're going to buy based on your $200 smartphone," said Raj Nair, Ford's global product development chief.

The phrase "with minimised distraction" is the issue for me. I drive for pleasure and entertainment is secondary.

Too many drivers concentrate on being entertained and view driving as the secondary activity.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
NuJagLuvr (08-02-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Agreed. But a faster and more intuitive nav system, and a stereo that doesn't require a reboot when I switch from my iPhone to the radio would be welcome upgrades. As would a faster reaction time from the system. Granted i seldom listen to the stereo, but it would be nice if it worked better when I did. Plus, the 1990's graphics could use an update.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
The phrase "with minimised distraction" is the issue for me. I drive for pleasure and entertainment is secondary.

Too many drivers concentrate on being entertained and view driving as the secondary activity.

Graham
Funny, I realized a few years ago that one reason I get so frustrated behind the wheel sometimes is because I am too focused on driving and not the radio/shaving/applying make-up like most other drivers lol.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that Jaguar do a retro for older models. It would help with being able to use an updated satnav system

Old 08-02-2014, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,422 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Milky
I hope that Jaguar do a retro for older models. It would help with being able to use an updated satnav system
This.

As one of the younger folk here, I can't express enough how great of an upgrade this would be. Still has an old 90's style car-phone in it.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agree totally - love my x-type I got a few months ago, but all this cool stuff in the console - too old to work with anything.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Tiny market so Jaguar won't be doing it. A bit odd that no-one else appears to.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I would also greatly appreciate a mobile OS in our cars. The only thing they have to solve is to make it, at least, both Android and iOS compatible in most cars, otherwise significant numbers of fans of either OS will simply refuse to buy that $100 K car, based on their choices of that $200 worth of mobile device.

Also, the system should not require the phone to be "plug in" as the Apple description claims. It should work through paired bluetooth or NFC connections that are nearly instantaneous as soon as they sense the device nearby. Plug-in is way too "old school" and seemingly outdated concept.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by caviarjag
Agreed. But a faster and more intuitive nav system, and a stereo that doesn't require a reboot when I switch from my iPhone to the radio would be welcome upgrades. As would a faster reaction time from the system. Granted i seldom listen to the stereo, but it would be nice if it worked better when I did. Plus, the 1990's graphics could use an update.
Sorry to thread jack. But how do you reboot your stereo?
Mine gets locked on cd sometimes on startup and doesn't cycle through to the bt so my phone doesn't connect
Only way I have found is to switch to sat radio get out of car lock to door and then restart the car. Lol

Last edited by Holeecow; 12-16-2014 at 09:44 PM.