XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

article that has XF as one of the most disliked cars of 2011???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default article that has XF as one of the most disliked cars of 2011???

This is disturbing especially since the article is completely without any facts whatsoever other than the drop off of sales. The comments are funny too by those that have never owned an XF, driven one, or just read old reliability ratings. Absurd!

Most disliked cars of 2011 Photos | Most disliked cars of 2011 Pictures - Yahoo! Autos

Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

A drop of sales from what level in 2010, comparatively speaking?

The XF continues to sell well in Europe and Asia.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I saw that also, and I really think the impetus for that discord is the old guard asserting that "it no longer looks like a jaguar". I mean no disrespect to my elders, but in my reading/observation not too many of them like the new lineup Jaguar has put out.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar was ALWAYS a cutting edge company until Ford decided it wanted to buy a "classic" car company. Hopeless idea.

Now we have the new XK, XF and XJ, shortly to be joined by a new two seater and a new baby Jag sedan. Can't wait!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

What a piece of $hit article. How is it that no facts and ratings were made. Sheeesh!

Old 12-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Not really worth getting excited over. The article is titled "Cars that fizzled in 2011". It's not a condemnation of the car. The XF makes the list because, despite high expectations and an improving market, US sales fell 28% while it's primary competitors experienced increased US sales (E-class +4%, 5-series +35%, A6 +18%). Doesn't seem out of line to characterize that as a fizzle.

As for the reader comments, it takes a long, long time to overcome a reputation for poor quality/reliability which in Jaguar's case, predates Ford's ownership.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it will be difficult for Jag to get strong, consistent sales in the North American market until they produce cars with an AWD option, even if only part-time AWD when you need it. All of it's competitors have it.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Of course Jaguar has access to awd from land rover. They plan to build awd models. However, awd are not fun to drive, it ruins the handling. Also awd creates a dangerous and false sense of security. Fwd is far superior for a road car if secure winter traction is the aim. Awd is just expensive, heavy and pointless but currently fashionable for no rational reason whatsoever.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I think Jags are seen as slightly exotic in the US with a rather weak dealer network (at least that is the impression I receive from some of the comments I have received and read in the press and other blogs). They had a previously well deserved reputation as unreliable and this will take some time to shake off.

I love the new Jags (XF and XJ) since they advance the marque. Superb design and improved quality and reliability. However, although their reliability is no worse than BMW (for example), the weak dealer network makes it difficult to put things right in a manner that makes the customer feel that Jaguar are standing behind their product. A lot of the competition manage to make you believe that no matter what issues you have they will make sure all is right in the end. This attention can turn a bad situation into a positive situation.

If Jag go the way they should, they will probably be happy with the exotic status and not chase the mass market appeal of Lexus, MB, BMW and Audi. Quantity is not always everything.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
I think Jags are seen as slightly exotic in the US with a rather weak dealer network (at least that is the impression I receive from some of the comments I have received and read in the press and other blogs). They had a previously well deserved reputation as unreliable and this will take some time to shake off.

I love the new Jags (XF and XJ) since they advance the marque. Superb design and improved quality and reliability. However, although their reliability is no worse than BMW (for example), the weak dealer network makes it difficult to put things right in a manner that makes the customer feel that Jaguar are standing behind their product. A lot of the competition manage to make you believe that no matter what issues you have they will make sure all is right in the end. This attention can turn a bad situation into a positive situation.

If Jag go the way they should, they will probably be happy with the exotic status and not chase the mass market appeal of Lexus, MB, BMW and Audi. Quantity is not always everything.
Nice post. You have a point in that jag are seen as exotics on the par of Bentley and Aston Martin. I love it when I see a driver flaunting his Merc and I park aside. They always have the look "dang that car is nicer"

Old 12-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rique
Nice post. You have a point in that jag are seen as exotics on the par of Bentley and Aston Martin. I love it when I see a driver flaunting his Merc and I park aside. They always have the look "dang that car is nicer"
I've noticed this effect also and have received more reaction since driving my Jag than any car before it... Articles like this only move to enhance this effect... lol