XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

AWD, RWD, or XF or XJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD, RWD, or XF or XJ

I don’t know if this is in the right forum to ask but I live in Massachusetts and the snow/ice can get bad sometimes cept for last year. I have a 2012 Volvo s60 t6 AWD and really haven’t had any issues with snow since we didn’t really have any. I have equity in my car and was looking at either a 2011, 2012, or 2013 jag XF or XJ. I understand correctly that the 2011-2013 models are RWD and that the 2014 models will have AWD. Anyone can give me some sound advice of what is the best option for me? I’d probably lease.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

I live in western Canada. Four snow tires should be enough for winter. Awd is unnecessary.

The XF has an excellent traction control system useful for winter.

The upcoming Jaguar awd system will be related to the systems used by land rover. Bear in mind that awd for inline drivetrains is trickier to achieve than with transverse drivetrains like your Volvo.

The big land rovers use inline awd systems. Only the Evoque and Freelander use transverse Haldex based designs like the Volvo. The Haldex is basically a fwd with awd kicking in when front wheel slip is detected. Inline awd systems usually use a conventional transfer case and drive more lik a rwd vehicle. Jaguar XF and XJ are inline drivetrains which is one reason it has taken Jaguar this long to adapt an awd system for them.

Awd carries a significant weight and fuel economy penalty.

Basically, the limit to safe winter driving is going, not traction to accelerate. Awd is hugely over rated for winter driving. Fwd is just as effective in real Workd conditions and that's how your Volvo actually works 95% of the time.

In my opinion awd will ruin the big jaguars as drivers cars.

Last edited by jagular; 07-16-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Jagular is right on

Originally Posted by jagular
I live in western Canada. Four snow tires should be enough for winter. Awd is unnecessary.

The XF has an excellent traction control system useful for winter.

The upcoming Jaguar awd system will be related to the systems used by land rover. Bear in mind that awd for in-line drive trains is trickier to achieve than with transverse drive trains like your Volvo.

The big land rovers use in-line awd systems. Only the Evoque and Freelander use transverse Haldex based designs like the Volvo. The Haldex is basically a fwd with awd kicking in when front wheel slip is detected. In-line awd systems usually use a conventional transfer case and drive more like a rwd vehicle. Jaguar XF and XJ are in-line drive-trains which is one reason it has taken Jaguar this long to adapt an awd system for them.

Awd carries a significant weight and fuel economy penalty.

Basically, the limit to safe winter driving is going, not traction to accelerate. Awd is hugely over rated for winter driving. Fwd is just as effective in real Worked conditions and that's how your Volvo actually works 95% of the time.

In my opinion awd will ruin the big jaguars as drivers cars.
Not to restate this very technical answer. My experience was a comparison between my Infiniti G35 Xs and my Toyota Sequoia Limited 4X4 in snowy conditions. Both are four wheel drive vehicles and they are not comparable to drive in snow in any way. In my region's the Winter's are usually severe similar to Canada (dry snow) plus mix in(Texas/Oklahoma) Panhandle Hooks(wet snow). The Toyota SUV is a truck and will plow through just about anything. The Infiniti G35 Xs four wheel drive system was undetectable (could not tell it was 4X4 in snow/didn't really move). Kept my Sequoia for extremes and traded the Infiniti G35 Xs on my 2010 XF Prem/Lux and liked it so much I traded that on a 2011 XF SC. XF is great, you really don't need 4X4 on a car. XJ or XF question=both great but the XF has a bigger trunk and I like the dash.

In my opinion if you want a truck buy a truck and wait for a big snow storm to engage 4X4 , you want a great car buy a XF 5.0 or SC and you will not be disappointed. The question is not the snow, the serious question is what color to pick

Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Unless you also put winter tires on an awd car you may as well leave it parked.

All wheel drive does not mean all wheel grip. Transmission may put torque to all the wheels but it's the tires that put that torque on the ground to move the car.

Trucks usually come with at least a general purpose tire which will give some adequate snow traction. In fact, high performance tires on a truck remove over half the utility of having a truck.

My daughter just bought herself a Ford Raptor. Now that's a truck. And you should see the stock tires on that puppy, they'll go anywhere.

The following users liked this post:
edobernig (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Exactly what edobering said. All wheel drive option is nice in a car, but if the snow is up to the bottom of the front bumper cover, you not going anywhere.
On the other hand, doesn't make a difference in a truck. Put it in drive and punch it.

I have had nothing but rear wheel drive V8s and have never had any problems in the snow.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had both AWD and RWD cars. Both are fine with snow tires, but unlike the rest here I will put up an EVO or STi against any truck. I used to literally plow through snow with my car since where I live in MA the roads were never plowed at 4AM when I had to drive to Boston. With the right car, power and AWD system they may be better than a 4x4 truck.

I say if you want a Jag get it and just learn the limits of the car with snows of course (Besides you know in southern MA you "should" get less snow than western MA). Learning the limits of ANY car will help you drive in ANY condition.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In agreement with MaSTi. All season tires are the limiting factor for AWD and RWD vehicles in the snow. My Infiniti EX35 was usless in the snow on it's stock all season tires. My AWD Porsche 911 with snow tires on the other hand will handle anything short of deep snow including wet streets at near freezing temps. (nothing short of studded tires or chains works on icy streets.) As for trucks, many run deep lug tires that assist in the snow, on cold, wet streets I wouldn't give you 2 cents for one. As for your question, a set of snow tires will make a RWD drive car a great deal more manageable in the snow. An AWD car with snow/winter tires offers the best traction in all winter conditions.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Default 4X4 Truck Vs. Evo Sti?

Originally Posted by MaSTi
I have had both AWD and RWD cars. Both are fine with snow tires, but unlike the rest here I will put up an EVO or STi against any truck. I used to literally plow through snow with my car since where I live in MA the roads were never plowed at 4AM when I had to drive to Boston. With the right car, power and AWD system they may be better than a X truck.

I say if you want a Jag get it and just learn the limits of the car with snows of course (Besides you know in southern MA you "should" get less snow than western MA). Learning the limits of ANY car will help you drive in ANY condition.
Come on! 4X4 Ford Raptor, Expedition, GMC Denali, Toyota Sequoia vs. EVO?. I think we find those crumpled up in the wheel wells. I was in West Texas and they have steel battering rams bolted to the front of their Ford F250 Supercab 4X4's instead of bumpers. These are big trucks for hauling lots of stuff, 8 adults and big things, on and off road, in extreme conditions with a Class III Hitch included. AWD cars are not a substitute. Lets just compare hot air balloons to a jet airliner. They both fly but the balloon is much quieter. I'm sure they're discussing this on the Ford or 4-Wheeler Forum.

Lol is this another thread where the guy likes the Masarati, Pamanmera?# or the Evoque but maybe the Jag is the safe choice?

The XF is great out of the box. Again the choice is color and if you want the supercharger for extra giddy up (highly recommended).

Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I have had both AWD and RWD cars. Both are fine with snow tires, but unlike the rest here I will put up an EVO or STi against any truck. I used to literally plow through snow with my car since where I live in MA the roads were never plowed at 4AM when I had to drive to Boston. With the right car, power and AWD system they may be better than a 4x4 truck.

lol
I don't know how you can compare them grapefruit shooters to a truck in a real snow.

If the snow is up to your bumpers, you won't go anywhere. All that power will plow the snow for about 5 feet, until the snow gets compressed and you go nowhere. A vehicle that sits up high off the ground won't have any problems in the same exact situations.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:04 PM

@edo- I never said I would off road race. I'm saying in the snow on roads yeah let's play. It's 90% tires and power. 10% ride height. How often are you driving in 14+ inches??

@ exec- I'm saying I've done it in my STi NUMEROUS times. Until you've owned and driven one I say you have no clue what they can do. I never thought it would or could drive that well to be honest, but it actually can!! The DCCD differential control helps TONS!!!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Default Snow? Wisconsin?

[quote=MaSTi;546226]@edo- I never said I would off road race. I'm saying in the snow on roads yeah let's play. It's 90% tires and power. 10% ride height. How often are you driving in 14+ inches??

My driveway Feb. 2....... Winter sucks here. I'm going to Orlando!

Last edited by edobernig; 07-19-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

Hi center is the limit of traction. When the body bottoms out you're stuck, unless you have a winch and a tree.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 AM

[QUOTE=edobernig;546507]
@edo- I never said I would off road race. I'm saying in the snow on roads yeah let's play. It's 90% tires and power. 10% ride height. How often are you driving in 14+ inches??

My driveway Feb. 2....... Winter sucks here. I'm going to Orlando!
Yep been there done that. The thing is we've only gotten 1-2 storms that are over 20+ inches in one day. Add day to day and there's no problem since snow plows are out. I'm saying I DID plow through 15+ inches before with no problem. Not fun or safe, but was needed when I get called in to the hospital for work!!

The following users liked this post:
edobernig (07-20-2012)