XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Bad fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad fuel injectors

2012 XF Portfolio 45,000 miles. Had it to dealer to fix broken rear camera cable and intermittent misfire. Sometimes the misfire was barely noticeable at idle and other times at idle you could see the tach needle fluttering. At first they said they did feel the miss but there were no codes or check engine light. When I went to pick up the car it started missing more and it did set a check engine light. They have had the car for a week and Jaguar technical advisory has authorized them to replace 2 fuel injectors. Has anyone else experienced failed fuel injectors? The service rep said they cost $1,200 each. Thank goodness for warranty.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by rlembach
2012 XF Portfolio 45,000 miles. Had it to dealer to fix broken rear camera cable and intermittent misfire. Sometimes the misfire was barely noticeable at idle and other times at idle you could see the tach needle fluttering. At first they said they did feel the miss but there were no codes or check engine light. When I went to pick up the car it started missing more and it did set a check engine light. They have had the car for a week and Jaguar technical advisory has authorized them to replace 2 fuel injectors. Has anyone else experienced failed fuel injectors? The service rep said they cost $1,200 each. Thank goodness for warranty.
Even in English money that's a lot of money just for the injectors. Stunned !

Old 03-18-2016, 06:19 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

A can of this into a full tank every 5000 miles should keep the injectors working properly..whole lot cheaper too..

Old 03-19-2016, 07:58 AM

Picked the car up last night and it seems to be idling OK. dealer did not have the service paper work ready for me when I picked up the car and I couldn't wait for it. They will mail to me. I suspect that it will only say that they replaced 2 injectors but since it was under warranty it will not list any dollar amounts. If there is anything notable I will post.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:23 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Rlembach, are you able to get any more detail from your dealer on the cause of the two failed injectors, and the condition of the ones that weren't replaced? Did they perform any type of cleaning on the remaining injectors? Carbon buildup on the injectors has been a serious issue for some of the earlier direct injection engine designs, resulting in misfires, loss of HP, etc.- well documented in other brands, but there hasn't been as much reported for JLR (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...charged-94489/). It would be great to know whether or not Jaguar will be covering these issues under original and/or CPO warranty. Thanks very much for posting.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:14 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by newXF
Rlembach, are you able to get any more detail from your dealer on the cause of the two failed injectors, and the condition of the ones that weren't replaced? Did they perform any type of cleaning on the remaining injectors? Carbon buildup on the injectors has been a serious issue for some of the earlier direct injection engine designs, resulting in misfires, loss of HP, etc.- well documented in other brands, but there hasn't been as much reported for JLR (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...charged-94489/). It would be great to know whether or not Jaguar will be covering these issues under original and/or CPO warranty. Thanks very much for posting.
I'd be interested in learning too. Defective injectors on these cars is not commonplace.

The $1200 per unit Jag warranty price doesn't surprise me. The aftermarket will drive that down to $100ish ea. like it has on most other cars

Old 03-20-2016, 10:51 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DPK
A can of this into a full tank every 5000 miles should keep the injectors working properly..whole lot cheaper too..

I understand that this product is good, but I have not used it. I have used another product with excellent results - Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner. It costs about $12 for a 15oz bottle, but only a couple of ounces to a tankful every once in a while works great. I add it to every 4th fill up.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:45 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kwiksilver
I understand that this product is good, but I have not used it. I have used another product with excellent results - Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner. It costs about $12 for a 15oz bottle, but only a couple of ounces to a tankful every once in a while works great. I add it to every 4th fill up.
You're right, Redline SI-1 is a great product and I use it also..It is less aggressive than the BG 44K is and can be used every tank if you want with excellent results..I use a whole bottle every other tank full and the BG 44K once in a full tank every 5000 miles as recommended by my Jag tech buddy...

I've used these two products ever since 1992 when I bought my 300E Mercedes and the Mercedes tech then told me it was like a shot of penicillin for the fuel system...I have never had a fuel system issue.

Last edited by DPK; 03-20-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:34 AM

I did not get any details on the reason for the failure. I doubt that they could tell why they may have failed. Before replacing them they did an injector cleaning to see if that would fix the problem, but it did not. The repair was covered under warranty.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Before replacing them they did an injector cleaning to see if that would fix the problem, but it did not.
Then it is unlikely that any additive would prevent or cure such a situation.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:12 AM

They tried the cleaning to see if that would cure the problem because that would have been a cheaper alternative!

Old 03-21-2016, 11:54 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

They tried the cleaning to see if that would cure the problem because that would have been a cheaper alternative!
Obviously it had worked in the past for them, as I've heard the same...unfortunate it didn't work for you..glad it's purring again for you.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by DPK
Obviously it had worked in the past for them, as I've heard the same...unfortunate it didn't work for you..glad it's purring again for you.
Unfortunately the "purring" didn't last too long. Got a check engine light last night so it is going back to the dealer today.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:57 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Aww man..that sucks..Hope it's something simple..

Old 03-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear it rlembach. It may be worth asking the dealer if they will be checking on the condition of your intake valves- if you're experiencing misfires due to carbon buildup, these are likely to be impacted as well. As far as I know, it's not at all clear what JLR will or will not cover under warranty in terms of inspection, cleaning, and repair for DI related engine problems. Hopefully you're experiencing something with a more straightforward fix (I'm assuming they've already checked on the widespread water pump issue). Please keep us posted!

Last edited by newXF; 03-23-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:38 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Unfortunately the "purring" didn't last too long. Got a check engine light last night so it is going back to the dealer today.
Hmmmm. Plugs/coil packs?

Old 03-31-2016, 11:07 AM

Here is the update. It was an oxygen sensor. The bad thing is, this dealer never has any parts in stock. Supposedly when they ordered the part, the part they received had the correct part number on the box, but the wrong part was in the box, s it had to ordered again. To complete this entire repair, starting with the rear camera cable, check engine light for bad injectors and check engine light for oxygen sensor, took the dealer a total of 16 days. I think that is totally ridiculous, but you are at their mercy. At least they provided a loaner car for the entire time.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:36 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

So it's all fixed up now?..What kind of Loaner..was it an F type?

Old 04-01-2016, 06:31 AM

Usually it is a 4 cylinder XF turbo. That car is horrible. The turbo lag is bad and the interior can't even compare to a Honda Accord. This time I got a Range Rover Evoque. It was much better than the 4 cylinder XF. These are not dealer owned cars. They pay a rental car agency about $68 per day. So this whole affair cost the dealer about 1,100 in rental car fees!